2018 Gent-Wevelgem: 250kms - 1UWT - March 25th *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    ShutupJens wrote:
    I know it's not addressing Rick's question, but Taylor Phinney has posted this on Instagram, the Synapse he's going to use for Roubaix. Maybe we'll see more disc bikes there?

I don't think there's a top level synapse which you can get with rim brakes. Roubaix is flat, what would disc brakes actually offer? Surely the best application for increased braking power would be on races like Amstel where there's a lot of short sharp descents, corners and what not. Or am I missing something?

It’s not just the sharp descents - it’s the sharp corners, too. Very much a feature of P-R.
    For the time being, I suspect that they are a fair few pros who have positive things to say about disc brakes but are professionally/contractually/politically required to keep schtum.
    I’m no pro, but I’ve ridden top quality rim brakes (Campagnolo Super Record and SRAM Red) in anger for a very long time (still do), but I’ve now also got a road bike equipped with disc brakes and they give a whole new level of confidence group riding and descending (which I’ll guarantee translates into more speed). The new thing to get to grips with - literally - is the limits of your tyre/road interface (and remembering which lever is for your front or back brake).
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    I don't think there's a top level synapse which you can get with rim brakes. Roubaix is flat, what would disc brakes actually offer? Surely the best application for increased braking power would be on races like Amstel where there's a lot of short sharp descents, corners and what not. Or am I missing something?

Said on the previous page, allows bigger tyres and better clearances. You used to see with riders turning up at Compiegne with bikes with cantilever brakes.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Yep fair enough. Having ridden a lot of cross on canti's (bad) and a lot of road riding/bit of road racing (worse), I can understand that completely.

Ride discs on my winter/commute bikes and have locked up even the grippiest of tyres which is a big old adrenaline rush