2018 Gent-Wevelgem: 250kms - 1UWT - March 25th *Spoilers*

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Enjoyed that in between naps.

I suspect my PTP pick Matthews says much the same.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    1. Peter Sagan (Bora Hansgrohe)
    2. Elia Viviani (Quick-Step Floors)
    3. Arnaud Démare (Groupama – FDJ)
    4. Christophe Laporte (Cofidis)
    5. Jens Debusschere (Lotto Soudal)
    6. Olivier Naesen (AG2R La Mondiale)
    7. Matteo Trentin (Michelton – Scott)
    8. Zdenek Stybar (Quick-Step Floors)
    9. Jasper Stuyven (Trek – Segafredo)
    10. Wout Van Aert (Vérandas Willems-Crelan)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Two comedy moments - Van Ginneken of Roompot guaranteeing a regular slot on Eurosport's WATTS for years to come with his comedy crash and then of course Viviani's tears another candidate for that show this week
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I thought fridays race was better. Well done Sagan. Viviani needs a snickers
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just caught up with this. For all Quick Step's strength there seem to be some egos there. If they had treated that finale as a standard sprint stage Viviani could have won doing wheelies.

Glad Laporte missed out on the podium. His move ramming Moscon into the barriers on the Kemmelberg would have certainly got him DQed had he done it in a sprint.

In all an edition that supports Iain's chipper assessment.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Probably would have mattered more had it not been Moscon...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Probably would have mattered more had it not been Moscon...
    The John Terry of Italian cycling...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What happened to Sagan's 'I'd rather entertain than win'? He won but apart from chasing back on and coming second at T-A there's been a lot of hiding behind Burghart.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Probably would have mattered more had it not been Moscon...

If I was more impulsive I might have retorted with ' it's difficult cycling with a target on you back ! '
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Wout Van Aert Showing he can deal with 250k. Bring on P-R
  • inseine wrote:

Something like a phenomenon
  • Laporte this year. 3 wins. 3rd stage 1 PN 13th San Remo. 4th G W. Not bad for Bouhanni s lead out
  • rick_chasey
    inseine wrote:

Yes he seems to be well placed in the bunch without too much effort either.

Presumably the buns will persuade him to drop his winter distractions.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    What happened to Sagan's 'I'd rather entertain than win'? He won but apart from chasing back on and coming second at T-A there's been a lot of hiding behind Burghart.

Presumably having teammates in the finale is a novelty for him.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Anyone else noticed that Sagan has gone back to wearing S-Works 6 shoes branded to look a bit more like S-Works 7?
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • rick_chasey
    Speaking of kit, anyone spot any disc brakes?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Laporte this year. 3 wins. 3rd stage 1 PN 13th San Remo. 4th G W. Not bad for Bouhanni s lead out

Didn't he do pretty well at picking up minor olacings after bouhanni crashed out of the tour? Seems to be way ahead of the likes of coquard in the pecking order of French sprinters.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632

Don't think so - especially as it was a dry day and the risk of punctures (and subsequent quicker change with normal wheels vs thru axles) is greater than any lack of braking power.Not sure we've seen them anywhere except the Desert races?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Milton50 wrote:
    Told you Gilbert was close to last year's level. He's closing everything down.

Got to love Phil G's v aggressive position on the bike
  • Vino'sGhost
    I look for them every race and theyre just not there in any numbers or at all frequently. I cant see why people need them on the road, high end rim breaks work and are lighter and accomodate more spares, / in ride damage.

Marketing departments on the other hand.................
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:
    Told you Gilbert was close to last year's level. He's closing everything down.

Got to love Phil G's v aggressive position on the bike

Gilbert needs a hard race to get decent form.

He needs it to be "on" for long periods.

Similarly, recently he's been best when it's been like that. He's not held onto that monster 3-5 minute effort uphill that he used to have.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Don't think so - especially as it was a dry day and the risk of punctures (and subsequent quicker change with normal wheels vs thru axles) is greater than any lack of braking power.Not sure we've seen them anywhere except the Desert races?

Good topic Rick, it'll be interesting to see what happens with discs. Did any appear at Strade Bianche ? Where would they most make sense - a wet Roubaix ? Technical wet downhills in a grand tour ? Or will it need the manufacturers to insist on it because a slow wheel change and then maybe having to stop again to sort dragging pads can be game over and I don't see many riders wanting to risk that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I know it's not addressing Rick's question, but Taylor Phinney has posted this on Instagram, the Synapse he's going to use for Roubaix. Maybe we'll see more disc bikes there?

29087894_154581362028769_1088634863617048576_n.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.

It’s a weight thing isn’t it?
  • Do you think? I would have thought it had something to do with mud clearance. Used to see teams use bikes with cantilever brakes in the past.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Do you think? I would have thought it had something to do with mud clearance. Used to see teams use bikes with cantilever brakes in the past.

That was partly an issue with wider tyres too. the caliper wouldnt allow massive tyres plus add the mud and epic fail ahoy. Mud is still a potential issue where there isn't much clearance between the down tube and tyre. Bike design is evolving for standard use of much wider tyres which have some real advantages. Discs are a marmite topic and may not have quite the same level of benefit for the pro peleton that they bring for the average bloke.

Plus they look awful
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Watched the last 38kms on Sporza. Barely understood a word, but the commentary was almost soothing. No shrieking. Just calm commentary. Carlton Kirby it wasn't.

Wish I could speak Dutch.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:
    Watched the last 38kms on Sporza. Barely understood a word, but the commentary was almost soothing. No shrieking. Just calm commentary. Carlton Kirby it wasn't.

They are good.

Jose has a crystal ball. Unreal insight.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Timoid. wrote:

The same for me and exactly my reaction. What a pleasure even if I couldn't understand too much although I think I got the gist of "ne, ne, ne, ne"
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I know it's not addressing Rick's question, but Taylor Phinney has posted this on Instagram, the Synapse he's going to use for Roubaix. Maybe we'll see more disc bikes there?

I don't think there's a top level synapse which you can get with rim brakes. Roubaix is flat, what would disc brakes actually offer? Surely the best application for increased braking power would be on races like Amstel where there's a lot of short sharp descents, corners and what not. Or am I missing something?