Snapped frame - what might have caused this?

13»

Comments

• thesledge
    thesledge Posts: 46
    Not after compo, my issue is the protracted delay and what appears to be obfuscation. I accept that things sometimes go wrong and have no major concerns about a faulty component slipping through.
    It’s Canyon’s response to putting things right I don’t get: should it take 9 days from a faulty frame being inspected for the replacement frame to be delivered? And then a further 10 days before work is scheduled to begin building the bike before it’s shipped to the customer?
    This is a company with a chequered history when it comes to putting the customer first. They could do a lot better.
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    TheSledge wrote:
    Not after compo, my issue is the protracted delay and what appears to be obfuscation. I accept that things sometimes go wrong and have no major concerns about a faulty component slipping through.
    It’s Canyon’s response to putting things right I don’t get: should it take 9 days from a faulty frame being inspected for the replacement frame to be delivered? And then a further 10 days before work is scheduled to begin building the bike before it’s shipped to the customer?
    This is a company with a chequered history when it comes to putting the customer first. They could do a lot better.

Fair enough. I would probably be as frustrated, although I have known club mates who have had similar misfortune and waited significantly longer for a replacement (months).

Hopefully yours will be back with you in the coming days.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Maybe if you sent Canyon the link of this thread they would have done something differently?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    For a company with a bad reputation for customer service, I think you have done allright. They have been slow and methodical but they a) inspected the bike and within a few days b) confirmed they would replace the frame and c) it looks like you will get your replacement in under 2 weeks.

Sure you might want better service but surely given your expectations when this started, you have had a good result? I know you are champing at the bit but a couple of weeks turnaround for a mail order company in another country doesnt seem that bad.

You were perfectly within your rights with your chasing but honestly I think a bit over-zealous and expecting a bit too much from such a company.

I would be happy with the replacement but as I said, I wouldnt have had such a bad experience because I wouldnt have hassled them for an explanation once I knew they were doing the right thing and I could have allowed a little more time before chasing the delivery date of the fixed bike.

It seems like maybe you are a little calmer underneath than the email exchange suggested - it read like you would be left with a bad taste and as that this would annoy you every time you got on the bike, for a while at least. I think maybe having had one before and had a good experience to offset that probably helps overcome those thoughts for you - I didnt realise that.

Yes, they should have done better, and even more so on something this expensive but they havent done bad - they have done the right thing and it hasnt taken that long. Its better service than many people get buying a car costing ten times as much unfortunately - the world we live in is one where great customer service is the exception. Really, great customer service shouldnt get noticed - it should be the norm...
  • thesledge
    Canyon were in touch this morning apologising for the confusion about the date of my build, saying the bike would now be in the workshop this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

At 4.15 this afternoon I got another email confirming the bike had been built and is ready to ship.

This frown has turned upside down :D Come on now UPS, do your best!
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • thesledge
    Bike arrived back at lunchtime, a bit grubby but if cleaning the workshop grease and oil off the frame and fork meant a further delay I guess I don’t mind! Might need to put a new rear brake cable on, though, as the one they’ve fitted is very short with little room for adjustment - and it’s frayed with no cable end fitted.

Strangely, Canyon have also sent me (in a separate box) a dropper seatpost from someone else’s Canyon Strive...I won’t be fitting it to the Ultimate!
  • Lets hope you have better luck with this one

Sell the seatpost
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thesledge
    Last update: bike runs a treat, hilly 50-miler (4,600ft of climbing) was a delight at the weekend. Just dropped it off at LBS for new rear brake cable fitting, which Canyon have agreed to pay for. I'm also returning dropper seatpost to them, as am sure the Canyon customer in Brighton who should have been sent it for his Strive will appreciate it more than me. Canyon have also made an unexpected but appreciated goodwill gesture.

All-round happy bunny, no lasting emotional scars from four weeks of frustration (a period that included a wet Easter and the Beast from the East). Looking forward to taking it up Trapping Hill and Hartwith Bank in Nidderdale on Friday.

Safe and happy riding folks!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    TheSledge wrote:
    Looking forward to taking it up Trapping Hill and Hartwith Bank in Nidderdale on Friday.

Safe and happy riding folks!
    Church Lane from the bottom of the High St to the top of the moor is the one to go for ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D