Best value thing in cycling Eurosport

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited May 2018 in Pro race
This has become really good value, watching the races inbetween the big events gives a much better picture of what’s going on.

Best value thing in cycling

Comments

• 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Couldn't agree more, this is my fifth year with ES and now it's a lot more stable it really is fabulous value for the money.

I love some of the lesser races they show, especially those from Belgium, with the future stars plying their trade.

Occasionally, they have silent feeds on and you really get the atmosphere coming through and notice how often they click through the gears. Great stuff.
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    I got ES for £1.99 per year on their recent special offer.

I pay more for an espresso. Great value.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    kiteloopy wrote:
    I got ES for £1.99 per year on their recent special offer.

I pay more for an espresso. Great value.

Per month? Surely not per year?

Mine's £3.99 a month apparently.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    £1.99 for year for me too back in Nov- Dec ridiculously cheap and a no brainer.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    It’s excellent valve in my opinion, I paid £29.99 this year.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ES do those silly offers in Nov Dec time , you just have to be aware.
    I get ES via BT tv but their Player app is good, granted.
    Alternatives
    Hola Chrome VPN is a lot better nowadays so access to Sporza and RAI etc is doable from the UK .
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    ES is generally excellent, especially with those raw feeds they do. Wasn't so impressed having watched the Handzame Classic on catch up though and the feed cutting out at 10km to go!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    ShutupJens wrote:
    ES is generally excellent, especially with those raw feeds they do. Wasn't so impressed having watched the Handzame Classic on catch up though and the feed cutting out at 10km to go!

The last 4km are on the start of the MSR on catchup (the 3h00 UK commentary version).
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    £1.99 for year for me too back in Nov- Dec ridiculously cheap and a no brainer.
    was that for the player or just add on channel ?
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    Eurosport player. I have Eurosport through sky sub too. But I can watch it whenever I want wherever I want. The previous year I managed to pick it upon some kind of deal too.
  • Does eurosport player allow watching on demand or is it live only? I'm outside of the UK now 7 hours behind so on demand would be great. The android app gets woeful reviews though
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Yes
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another £1.99 ES Player user here, took a £20 subscription out in May that finished recently but had to jump on the £1.99 offer and use an alternate email address to sign in. Took advantage of ES Player on Saturday to watch the last 40 minutes of MSR in the coffee shop on their wi-fi.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Yet another £1.99 ES deal grabber. Very impressed so far, no more silly feeds that stop and start whenever they want.
    Even better, with kodi you can put ES player on your telly box and watch it on there
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited March 2018
    ES Player is erratic though - still not got Catalunya up from yesterday and to compound matters, the full programme wasn't recorded on BT box either.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Yet another £1.99 ES deal grabber. Very impressed so far, no more silly feeds that stop and start whenever they want.
    Even better, with kodi you can put ES player on your telly box and watch it on there

how does that work?
  • sherer
    ES Player is erratic though - still not got Catalunya up from yesterday and to compund matters, the full programme wasn't recorded on BT box either.
    same for me on VM... recorded 1:30 of it but missed the end of the stage
  • kingstongraham
    You can watch it on the TV using a chromecast as well.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133

how does that work?

Just need something that will load kodi, so almost all android tv boxes will. Then just load up the ES addon from official Kodi rep, put your password in and off you go
  • sherer
    29.99 a year at the moment.. way too expensive.. if they do any more deals I may sign up
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    I'd jump on a 1.99 Euro offer as well. 49.99 Euros atm. Wish I had known in December.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I took it up last year, for £29-99, when Discovery wouldn't play ball with Sky.
    No notification or interest in keeping my business, when the time came.
    Just a very belated survey asking why I had finished. I told them what I used the player for (the silent cycling bits) and that it was currently way too expensive to take out on top of other subscriptions.
    Thought that might stir them into making some kind of offer, a la Sky, but weeks later and nada.
    I might keep an eye out for offers, but really their sales team need to wake up and smell the coffee.

The regular price has gone up to £6-99 a month as far as I can see. Which is a complete rip off.
    Current offer here:-
    https://www.eurosport.co.uk/all-sports/ ... tory.shtml
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    Annual pass still £29.99 https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/subscribe

I took it the other week at that price. It works out at about £4 a month, as there's not much on over the winter that I'm interested in.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Annual pass still £29.99 https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/subscribe

I took it the other week at that price. It works out at about £4 a month, as there's not much on over the winter that I'm interested in.

£2-50 a month is more like it. Might think about it again in that case
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    I think 29.99 a year is pretty good value tbh, it's only 2.50 a month. Pretty much bugger all.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Eurosport is good value but trying to change your payment method is a nightmare. Last year, I got so fed up with them I decided to terminate the contract. All emails were ignored and I had to get my bank to block all future charges on my debit card. It was only at this point that Eurosport replied to confirm that the contract was terminated. They are an absolute shower to deal with. I might reluctantly take a monthly subscription for the Giro and the TdF through iTunes because that way I have control and can unsubscribe at any time.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    I took it up last year, for £29-99, when Discovery wouldn't play ball with Sky.
    No notification or interest in keeping my business, when the time came.
    Just a very belated survey asking why I had finished. I told them what I used the player for (the silent cycling bits) and that it was currently way too expensive to take out on top of other subscriptions.
    Thought that might stir them into making some kind of offer, a la Sky, but weeks later and nada.
    I might keep an eye out for offers, but really their sales team need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Same, even to the survey feedback.
  • bobmcstuff
    I doubt there's a whole lot of revenue in showing cycling, figure skating, European basketball (selection if what's on right now) and all the other niche sports they cover. They have to pay for the rights to show them too. I haven't researched it but it doesn't strike me as a very profitable market.

Hence the poor app, sales team and commentary team (*cough* Carlton *cough*). If it was that easy, more races would be bought by mainstream channels.

However £2.50 a month (which is as near as makes no difference free as far as I'm concerned) to be able to watch pretty much all WT races is a pretty good deal.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I doubt there's a whole lot of revenue in showing cycling, figure skating, European basketball (selection if what's on right now) and all the other niche sports they cover. They have to pay for the rights to show them too. I haven't researched it but it doesn't strike me as a very profitable market.

Hence the poor app, sales team and commentary team (*cough* Carlton *cough*). If it was that easy, more races would be bought by mainstream channels.

However £2.50 a month (which is as near as makes no difference free as far as I'm concerned) to be able to watch pretty much all WT races is a pretty good deal.
    Eurosport have got the Olympics rights from 2022 in the UK (from 2018 in most other places). I don't know if they'll lease some rights back to the BBC (probably have to) but they'll want to get their player in order - and they may charge more.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Vino'sGhost

how does that work?

Just need something that will load kodi, so almost all android tv boxes will. Then just load up the ES addon from official Kodi rep, put your password in and off you go
    I’ll give it a go! Thanks