2018 Strade Bianche, Siena › Siena (184k) -1.UWT, *Spoilers*

123457»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    pretty ambitious ride by ag2r there team wise.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Sky were represented with Moscon and another rider in the first chase group and with Kwiatkowski in the second favourites group. They had some strength in numbers. Shouldn't they have sent either Moscon or the other rider with Benoot and Serry in case those two bridge to Bardet and WVA? That way they would be represented in every group.

Seems like quite the tactical blunder?!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Only saw the final 40km live but I loved it

And that final climb up through the cobbled streets of Siena is fab so hands off, you naysayers. Surely you remember Fabs winning the race v Stybar in '16? Brilliant stuff
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Wout has been sensational in both Omloop and Strade...

Boonen/Cancellara all in one.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    pretty ambitious ride by ag2r there team wise.

This is becoming something of a habit. Long may it continue
  • ShutupJens
    Only saw the final 40km live but I loved it

And that final climb up through the cobbled streets of Siena is fab so hands off, you naysayers. Surely you remember Fabs winning the race v Stybar in '16? Brilliant stuff

Great end to the race. Same with GvA the previous year I think? Or was it Stybar? Can't quite remember. Anyway a lap of the square, after that climb, wouldn't really mean the race wasn't settled on that climb. Leave it as is and let the little descent be time to zip up the jersey of the winner
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    I'm trying to get my head around why this race has so little in the way of team tactics and why it not only draws GC contenders, but they have a decent shout in it (even if it's more often than not won by riders with a big one dayer by the name).

It's also odd as although a third or so of it is on the gravel roads and there aren't any really obvious flashpoints on the route, save for the finish.

It's a weird race.
  • ShutupJens
    I'm trying to get my head around why this race has so little in the way of team tactics and why it not only draws GC contenders, but they have a decent shout in it (even if it's more often than not won by riders with a big one dayer by the name).

It's also odd as although a third or so of it is on the gravel roads and there aren't any really obvious flashpoints on the route, save for the finish.

It's a weird race.

I was thinking that when picking my PTP choice - a lot of the time the team has a big effect, but actually the only actual time I can think of a team mate benefiting would be Moser with Sagan anchoring the chase group behind. Is harder than say, Liege or Amstel gold in that any team mates can't stick it and the selection is made early, or is it just raced hard because it's shorter and more intense?
  • mididoctors

It's a weird race.

teams haven't learnt how to ride it.... doesn't suffer from being prone to optimised tactics as of yet. flanders had to be re-gigged and amstrel is still getting tweaked
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    ShutupJens wrote:

It's a weird race.

I was thinking that when picking my PTP choice - a lot of the time the team has a big effect, but actually the only actual time I can think of a team mate benefiting would be Moser with Sagan anchoring the chase group behind. Is harder than say, Liege or Amstel gold in that any team mates can't stick it and the selection is made early, or is it just raced hard because it's shorter and more intense?

It takes a lot of teamwork to arrive at the foot of the Cauberg in one big peloton.
  • rick_chasey

It's a weird race.

teams haven't learnt how to ride it.... doesn't suffer from being prone to optimised tactics as of yet. flanders had to be re-gigged and amstrel is still getting tweaked

It's not that hard to get organised though, is it?

I mean, these guys are pros. They race unfamiliar roads all the time.
  • mididoctors

It's a weird race.

It's not that hard to get organised though, is it?

I mean, these guys are pros. They race unfamiliar roads all the time.

riding that gravel is harder than it looks thou. that race ALWAYS breaks up earlyish. you kinda make the point yourself why isn't the race controlled more. the number of team cards that can push a gear on gravel is lacking.

just getting the muscles used to that "extra" strain/resistance.

cyclocross riders know the feeling. look at who came third or placed well in other editions.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair.

In which case, the World Tour needs more gravel roads.
  • mididoctors
    people basically glycogen out and fade on the rough.
  • mididoctors
    Fair.

In which case, the World Tour needs more gravel roads.

well, there is that argument hence a bit at the tour this year...but if we introduce a lot of gravel roads the conditioning effect will level things up a tad.

what we need is a heavy contrast in cycling tests that "throw" teams off their game. letour is doing well in that regard IMO.

people moan about parcours a lot but frankly, this decade (2010-20) is pretty awesome for racing.
  • rick_chasey
    people basically glycogen out and fade on the rough.

Don't have a much experience on gravel; is it just the same idea as cobbles, just a bit less extreme? (i.e. the slower you go, the harder it is, so you get much bigger differential).
  • mididoctors
    and while it shares some similarities with the cobbles its, not the identical feeling or technique. no flying across the top of the cobbles, the wheels are pretty much constantly in contact with the ground.
  • mididoctors
    the tour of the dengie marshes is the closest approximation i know but that was usually just a mud path. the pork pie race in the Midlands is closer i guess. havn't ridden thatt.

i have ridden a lot of Strada in Italy when i lived and worked there in the 90's. never raced on it.
  • rick_chasey
    the tour of the dengie marshes is the closest approximation i know but that was usually just a mud path. the pork pie race in the Midlands is closer i guess. havn't ridden thatt.

i have ridden a lot of Strada in Italy when i lived and worked there in the 90's. never raced on it.

So what type of rider or riding style does it typically suit?
  • mididoctors

So what type of rider or riding style does it typically suit?

someone who has the legs for it! LOL

high workload for a decent amount of time as drafting is negated a bit I guess. constantly pushing the gear a bit.

hard to say tbh because you still need to be explosive and have something left for the climb at the end. tricky balance. I don't think we really know yet and neither do the teams.
  • mididoctors
    when they work it out it'll kill the race a bit

paris nice hold on
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    One thing this race needs to sort out are the motos. It was like a derny race at times. And it’s not just this year, the pre-race highlights showed Kwiato getting similar last year.
    I think they struggle on the dirt roads, think the riders go faster than the motos through turns. Looked like they were going to run into the motos a few times.
    I think it wouldn't hurt to film the riders from behind more.

Just watched the woman’s race. Great win by Anna Van Der Breggen, but how close, repeatedly, were the motos. She even brushed the front camera bike to the side with her arm to get past, after shouting more than once to clear her way.