mamil preparing for an event

13»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:
    @Imposter, 'arm pump' is a very concise and punchy summary, thanks! I do not mind the longer version either, i probably already spend too much time on Wikipedia marvelling at how stuff works!

Arm pump is a common and widely acknowledged (if not widely understood) phenomenon, particularly with downhill MTBers and MXers.

To be fair to milemuncher, I'm sure he has extensive experience of using his handgrip on a regular basis...

‘Arm pump’ is more a term associated with the sorts of effects experienced by motorcycle / Moto X racers, not someone on a treader. I would tell anyone riding a treader, complaining of ‘arm pump’ to get a grip, but that might exacerbate the problem.

You basically just repeated what I said. So now you are arguing against your own bullsh1t? That's a new one...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Imposter wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:
    @Imposter, 'arm pump' is a very concise and punchy summary, thanks! I do not mind the longer version either, i probably already spend too much time on Wikipedia marvelling at how stuff works!

Arm pump is a common and widely acknowledged (if not widely understood) phenomenon, particularly with downhill MTBers and MXers.

To be fair to milemuncher, I'm sure he has extensive experience of using his handgrip on a regular basis...

‘Arm pump’ is more a term associated with the sorts of effects experienced by motorcycle / Moto X racers, not someone on a treader. I would tell anyone riding a treader, complaining of ‘arm pump’ to get a grip, but that might exacerbate the problem.
    Actually it’s more associated with rock climbing, where it generally known as being “ pumped “ or over the pond “ forearm flameout “
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    How did you get on OP, sub 8?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Imposter wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Do you mean 'treader' as a mountain bike? Having ridden and raced downhill and enduro mountain bikes all over the UK, the Alps and Canada I can safely say that you get arm pump. It's completely comparable to riding MX bikes and climbing, and also chainsaw use. Never had it on a road bike, including descending mt Teide but it is conceivable with a poor setup maybe?

If you aren't including mtb in you definition of 'treaders' then as you were, it's not one I'm familiar with
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    mamil314 wrote:
    Hi;
    I am looking to Fred Whitton Challenge, so there is about 10 weeks left to train. My goal is to post under 8 hour time (8:37 is average for 2017) and not having to put a foot down on Hardknott would be a big bonus. Perhaps might have to change from 50/34 and 12-28 to easier gear.

This is provided i get a go from GP whom i am seeing tomorrow. I had flu in November, from which i still have not recovered with achy chest. I am keen to start training, though, since i've been wanting to complete this event and have missed out in the past due to health issues.

I am 81kg at the moment and managed a disappointing 193W in my first 20 min FTP test on Saturday ( standard 72 min Zwift FTP test with warmup and warmdown). I tried hard to keep it above 200W which i assume is average for an untrained office person. I do not believe for a second i would be able to sustain that for a full hour considering the effort. I was losing concentration and vision and was close to falling off and HR above 190 for prolonged periods.

I installed trainer and Zwift 2 days ago and am thinking which workout to take up. This one seems appropriate, but is a bit short, so might just partially repeat?
    https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/6wk-b ... tp-builder

This one seems harder, would it be too hard for a beginner?
    https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/8wk-race-day-prep

I would appreciate some input.

Since you ask;

I failed at both objectives, achieving sub 8hr ride and climbing Hardknott without putting a foot down.
    I was at second feed station after 6:20 ish ride time, so was shamelessly pootling and saving myself for the big climbs, so sub 8 was not going to happen. Coming down the last hill before second feed station (the one with outrageous Team XIII support camp on top), i failed to slow down enough at the corner, then just pointed to a grassier bit and took a tumble. No personal or bike damage occurred. It would appear that i managed to glaze up the brake pads when coming down Honister and front brake was, effectively, useless on steeper bits. The pads were far from new, but i simply forgot to replace/bring spares. Exposed!
    I failed to persuade the mechanic at second feed station (after at least half an hour wait in the queue ) that brake pads could do with replacing or at least sanding. He tested brakes on the flat road and they were 'fine'. I just stuffed my face, laid down on a bench for 10 min to digest, and straighten neck and back and went on.

Ended up clambering down last 3 hills on foot, there was just now slowing down enough. Thought about swapping front and rear, but back brake was going by then ,as well, since i used it to get there. Finished in over 11 hours. Weather and views were nice and plenty of time for photographs and a selfie!

As for climbing - climbed most of Honister OK, then got stopped near the top by ambulance blocking road, so climb does not count. This was hardest climb of the day for me, i think i was well underfuelled for it. Then, Hardknott further exposed my lack of experience of road riding.

Incredibly, it would seem that i need to learn to Nod. I noticed that, on steep bits, many others lean in with every stroke and push with their weight. My style involves pretty much zero upper body or head movement, but i tend to pull on bars pretty hard when effort is needed. Front wheel was lifting off, quite a lot, so I ended up having to precisely 'throw' it into direction of movement as i propelled myself with bursts of pedalling. After second hairpin i checked behind me and starting zigzagging and failed to reposition lifted wheel correctly and had to put a foot down, with summit within hands reach. Wrynose, climbed whole thing OK, and, after that, the last hill was laughable.

If entry for next year was guaranteed, i could consider this as an 'unfinished business', but i am not sure i will go for it again. As i was training for this event and now it's over, i am at the moment having to decide if cycling, other than commuting, is worth pursuing further. I also happen to like martial arts and not sure i can sustain training for 2 sports. I consider myself pretty lucky being able to go through somewhat structured Zwift training without getting ill. Bike training clearly worked and, in my opinion, i had just about enough power and guts to climb up Hardknott fully.

Overall, the event was pretty good and enjoyable and awarding experience wise (work on braking and climbing technique and bring spare pads next time!). Also - i was a fool for wishing for rain. Those descents are nuts.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    @mamil314 I applaud you for your training and then doing the FW. It sounds like you learned an awful lot and carried on when lots of others would have puled out. Although, riding without brakes does sound a tad suicidal/insane to me.

Personally I wouldn't see riding as so binary. Maybe give it a week and then do a pleasurable weekend ride. I suspect you might get your mojo back. You can focus on your martial arts training and enjoy cycling for what it is. I do a lot of strength and conditioning, but find a couple of rides a week as massively helpful as well - especially when it comes to strength endurance work.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Nice write up. I enjoyed the thread. Congratulations on finishing and sorry to hear about the mishaps. Fortunately no major damage.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'll second that; well done on making it round despite the suicidal brakes.

And I'd also second the suggestion that you cycle for pleasure rather than something you have to train for. I get out as often as I can, partly for the physical benefits, but mainly for my mental health.

There really is something quite uniquely therapeutic about just going for a ride.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As others have said - a good honest write-up. Also, to echo was others have said - you don't need to 'train' to cycle. You just need to ride - whenever, for however long you want. It's supposed to be fun.
  • mamil314
    This is turning into sort of journal.

So after Fred Whitton, i've done London Ditchling Devil mini Audax (200km), Dragon Ride (220km), and now signed up for Chiltern 100 miler. I quite liked the events, I think i would like to keep training for cycling, but not sure where to squeeze it all in along with commuting, recovery and 2 days of martial arts every week. How the hell do Triathletes find time for three disciplines and recovery days?
    This Wednesday i squeezed out sub 1hr x 3 Richmond Park laps - need another goalpost now. It was a nice round number and, knowing that people go around in sub 15min, it still feels far off anything. Maybe next goal should be power related.
    Not sure if i have love in me for the bikes and cycling just for their own sake. It is fun, however, to be able to go quicker than before.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Huge congratulations. Glad to hear your enjoying it.

Overseas trip next? Etape or similar?
  • mamil314
    I am thinking arm wrestling is cool ^ ^
    I would just need my upper body back.