2018 Targets

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Tashman wrote:

Who ate all the pies?
    I did.
    Impossible, I've had my fair share too, especially the pork/chirizzo ones Tashwife brings home from the cafe that go unsold mmmmmm

Well, thanks for sharing the load.
    I'm only eating the ones that get put in front of me... (mostly by me)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    Tashman wrote:

Who ate all the pies?
    I did.
    Impossible, I've had my fair share too, especially the pork/chirizzo ones Tashwife brings home from the cafe that go unsold mmmmmm

Well, thanks for sharing the load.
    I'm only eating the ones that get put in front of me... (mostly by me)
    I'm selfless like that 8)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    Time for a "First Quarter" update
    mrfpb wrote:
    Adding: Run a marathon
    Beat my 20 yr old son's PB at Park Run (I'll be 50)☺
    Consolidate: Maintain this years weight loss - staying in 70 to 71kg zone
    Keep recording daily activities however small. (I'm satisfied with five or less non active days a month, though)

Going well with the longer rides. Three months, three metric centuries. Starting to dream about the Metric Century Club's Lantern Rouge.
    Signed up to the Dragon Gran Fondo - 130+ miles, so that will tick off the 100 mile ride. I will need to get one in before the event, though.
    Nowhere near my son's PB this year, but I have beaten in him in both Parkruns we ran together. Once the weather improves I will be back on top!
    Weight has briefly been over 71kg, but most of the year in 69-71kg zone. So I'm happy with that.
    I was right about the weather. First dry Parkrun of the year and I beat my PB by 18s and my son's by 12s.
    Go the old man :D
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Not really targets but probable predictions.

Assuming work remains where it is, I don’t change jobs etc. Then should clock up a good 5k maybe 6k next year.

In terms of aspirations well do more MTB rides and such! Maybe even gravel/CX such sportives.

Though my favourite is rides in new/interesting places.

I had set targets on strava for two segments one boxhill which is quite slow, which I generally plod up and one local to my folks, which is a steep so and so, previous on strava any way I’d used my dads terrible MTB, so I was comfortable quicker though not within the target I’d set by a few secs, in fairness I was shattered and I’d had to stop for cars, but I’ll try and get a clean run another time! On the positive I was still able to speak at the top which is always a plus, there is bench at the top that you can admire the view, collapse on!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :) nice one.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,304
    1) 17:30 lap of Richmond Park
    2) 10st 7lbs at some point

Nothing planned this year - just keep doing some cycling really.

Down under 18 minutes on Sunday early evening - car free riding made a big difference coming down between Richmond and Kingston.

Nowhere near the second one.

One of last years was top 10 on a RP segment on Strava. 11th all time on the URR to top of Dark Hill segment - 1 second off!
  • Travel over 10 countries :)). It sounds too difficult when you need to work and earn money.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I had two targets this year:

- Ride the Flanders sportive - Done
    - Ride the Cingles de Ventoux. That's coming up fast and given that I'm currently not riding due to a crocked back I'm a bit concerned about this one right now
    FCN = 4
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Heart of England 300 in April, London-Wales-London 400 in early May and Bryan Chapman memorial 600 km in late May... add a random 200 and that should be my Super Randonneur award. I have also signed up for the Snowdon and Lakes 300 in June, which I very much look forward to. That should be enough for the first half of 2018. In the second half I would like to do some fast touring in July or August, but I haven't planned anything yet

HoE 300 ticked

https://www.strava.com/activities/1523141428

LWL 400 ticked

https://www.strava.com/activities/1552498498

Now only the Bryan Chapman Memorial left for this weekend... a bit apprehensive as it's my first 600 and all... gonna be a big adventure... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    edited May 2018
    Return to The Mendips cat3s I did in November 2017, but this time on the Cube and hopefully climb "Draycott Steep" rather than only having time to descend that bonkers 1.2 miles with 725 feet of climbing.

Climb at least one cat2/1/HC hill, at the moment I fancy Bwlch y Groes.

Go sub 8mins for Harvesting Lane, means improving by ~15secs.

Go sub 14mins for Bell Hill To The Top, means improving by ~30secs.

Go sub 9mins for Old Winchester Hill To The Top, means improving by ~40secs.

Go sub 58mins for River To Hilltop + Bell Hill To The Top combo, means improving by ~3mins.

Make good use of the Elite Direto and it's power meter for improving my fitness and power.

That should keep me busy.;)

On the positive...
    https://www.strava.com/activities/15494 ... /2578/5818 (sub 58mins for combo)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/15494 ... /5017/5819 (sub 14mins Bell Hill)

Improvement but more to come...
    Went to Longleat Center Pacrs last week, but not practical to take either bike this time, so no chance of heading to The Mendips (managed a few rides off campus with heavy hybrid hire bike up some local cat climbs, including the discovery that Gare Hill was a cat3 with a segment start just north of Bunns Lane)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/15183 ... /4427/4987 (Old Winchester to the top, improved by ~20secs, 20 more to find)

Room for improved effort...
    Looking into Bwlch y Groes or another cat2 properly and getting some plan of action, now summer-ish is upon us
    Only done Harvesting once so far this year, no where near PB at +46secs! https://www.strava.com/activities/14426 ... /6655/7194

The turbo really kept my fitness going through the long winter, thanks to Beast Of The East, but the lack of outdoor time really drained my Seasonal Affective Disorder batteries (compared to a usual year, I still feel really drained for mid May). I didn't really appreciate how my almost daily, early fitness cycling from Jan 2017 until spring arrived in March countered that chronic fatigue that many SAD sufferers go through after the prolonged period of short, typically overcast days from around September.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    Heart of England 300 in April, London-Wales-London 400 in early May and Bryan Chapman memorial 600 km in late May... add a random 200 and that should be my Super Randonneur award. I have also signed up for the Snowdon and Lakes 300 in June, which I very much look forward to. That should be enough for the first half of 2018. In the second half I would like to do some fast touring in July or August, but I haven't planned anything yet

HoE 300 ticked

LWL 400 ticked

Now only the Bryan Chapman Memorial left for this weekend... a bit apprehensive as it's my first 600 and all... gonna be a big adventure... :D

Your moving vs elapsed times are very impressive... I faff around way more! And had a nap the only time I did LWL (Severn Across back then). You'll be fine on BCM I found LWL much harder.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ugo.santalucia
    pangolin wrote:

Your moving vs elapsed times are very impressive... I faff around way more! And had a nap the only time I did LWL (Severn Across back then). You'll be fine on BCM I found LWL much harder.

Yes, I am on a mission when I get to a control... I try to stick to 15-20 minutes, 30 if it is the last control

Glad to know, because I found LWL very hard... all those tiny lanes and bumpy climbs... look forward to the longer climbs and wider roads
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Actually win a road race, not won anything on the road since 2015 - 3rd is the best so far this year. More to come here
    Get 100+ Points in a season - 36 points after starting racing end April
    Win an open TT - Tick, won an open this week, albeit a road bike 10
    Win one of the RP TT's - work in progress
    Take the RP ACW KOM. - work in progress
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Actually win a road race, not won anything on the road since 2015 - 3rd is the best so far this year. More to come here
    Get 100+ Points in a season - 36 points after starting racing end April
    Win an open TT - Tick, won an open this week, albeit a road bike 10
    Win one of the RP TT's - work in progress
    Take the RP ACW KOM. - work in progress
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,008
    Went to Longleat Center Pacrs last week, but not practical to take either bike this time, so no chance of heading to The Mendips (managed a few rides off campus with heavy hybrid hire bike up some local cat climbs, including the discovery that Gare Hill was a cat3 with a segment start just north of Bunns Lane)

Hadn't spotted that as a cat3 before- quite generous I'd say. I've never really pushed on this segment, but you're a lot faster than than me even on your hire bike.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Hadn't spotted that as a cat3 before- quite generous I'd say. I've never really pushed on this segment, but you're a lot faster than than me even on your hire bike.

These days, I have a bit of a knack for spotting inclines that could conform to Strava's climb categories, they must average over 3% gradient; multiply average gradient by segment length in metres (1609 x miles); figure must be 8000+ for cat4 and 16000+ for cat3. ;)

I spotted the potential for the creation of a cat3 while using the Strava Route Builder last Wednesday morning, so took my Nexus 7 2013 tablet to record the ride that afternoon (its GPS accuracy is pretty good, far better than my Sony Smartwatch 3 for example).

I also created a new cat4 segment just on Longleat's doorstep, https://www.strava.com/segments/17606033 , which took efforts on three different days to improve things to 7mins11secs, having always preceded it with a decent effort up https://www.strava.com/segments/2280889

Over the last year since becoming a hill climb addict, closer to home, I've also created Southampton's only true cat4 up Mansbridge Rd plus three ways up Beacon Hill near Warnford. There have also been some other very close calls, but no amount of tweaking with start and finish points would get the average gradient over 3%. :lol:

I've learnt to take comparisons with others over any segments with a huge pinch of salt over the last ~17 months, since riding for fitness to stay near 75Kg instead of the ~95Kg I had slowly crept up to by June 2016. Not everyone likes "killing themselves" up hills, the same can be said for flat and downhill segments. Someone might be pacing themselves to do a century while I do a short ~30 mile "blast." For me, it's all about safely trying to be my own PBs, making up for lost time in discovering hills while MAMIL-aged. :oops:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Aiming to do 10,000 km. that may prove to be a bit high but I’ll finish 2017 on 7000km and I missed the first 2.5 months so it should be achievable

Sub 18 min lap of RP

Enjoy Tour of Flanders

Flanders was great.

Won’t get to 10k this year, losing the first 2.5 months of the year with injury has killed that so I have dialled back the goal to 9k which is doable.

Have only done a couple of laps of RP this year, both hampered by stupid amounts of traffic. When I can be bothered I’ll get in there early and give it a blast.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:
    It's nearly here ...

so go on then - what are your targets?

and I don't mean the driver of the 4x4 that nearly had you off the other week ... that's an entirely different thread! ;)

I've deliberately not set myself any mileage targets for the last few years, with a toddler in the house I want to spend as much time with him as possible, so going out for hours on end at the weekend just isn't an option. However, I have managed to ride >2000 miles in 2017 - mostly commuting - yes, that's a massive ~40 miles a week (excluding excursions with Little Slowbike - I don't "strava" all of those).
    Hopefully, next year, due to childcare changes I'll be able to up that to around 60 miles a week - which should see me ~3000 miles for the year. But I guess my real target will be power output - my hill climbing (lack of) ability has suffered the last couple of years and that's something I'd like to reverse next season ... so I must get on that turbo this winter :(

January off didn't help - neither did the crap weather meaning low mileage weeks (I don't mind riding in bad weather for a commute, providing I don't get too wet on the way in) means my weekly average has been a measly 46 miles per week - means I now need 65 per week to get my 3000 target.

On the hill climbing - not having got my best bike on the road this year I'm doing all my rides on my winter bike - with mudguards - it's not hugely different to my best bike - but every bit counts in a hill climb - so fairly pleased I've had some Strava PBs on various segments - including some with climbs - not taken any significant PB on a climb yet - but have to remember they were probably done on a favorable day - so just getting within touching distance is enough.
  • ugo.santalucia

HoE 300 ticked

LWL 400 ticked

All painfully wrapped up and Super Randonneur award bagged...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1584821257

Now I can look forward to shorter and even more stunning rides for the summer 8) :D
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I take my hat off for you, Ugo. And to think I get numb nether parts whenever I go past 85 km... Well done.
  • ugo.santalucia
    DrHaggis wrote:
    I take my hat off for you, Ugo. And to think I get numb nether parts whenever I go past 85 km... Well done.

With a good choice of shorts, position on the bike and a suitable saddle, I managed to be OK for about 10-12 hours on the bike... after that, the discomfort takes over. I suppose I could try more expensive shorts and all sorts of paraphernalia, but I came to accept that pain is part of the deal when going a long way... :mrgreen:
  • jstrang
    jstrang Posts: 25
    jstrang wrote:
    My targets for 2018 are relatively modest, but a step up from what I achieved in 2017.

1. Commute more than 2,000 km (in 2017 I managed 1,670 km)
    2. Achieve an average speed of 20 km/hour (in 2017 I did just over 19 km/hour). May not sound much but my journey home has a steep hill for the last few hundred metres which kills my speed!

John
    I've managed to get over 1,000 km in under 5 months so I am happy about that. But speed only about 18.9 km/hour. Hopefully that will improve in summer...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The StavistiX Year Progressions plugin is a brutal awakening, see 2018 as the worst year for me in last 5 is a real eye opener just how much commuting by bike kept me fit.

I'm quite possibly a faster rider now but my climbing and stamina is going backwards
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725

Now I can look forward to shorter and even more stunning rides for the summer 8) :D

Serious kudos for that. 24 hours of riding :shock: and not on easy roads either.

Mike
  • ugo.santalucia
    mudcovered wrote:

Serious kudos for that. 24 hours of riding :shock: and not on easy roads either.

Mike

You can break down the Bryan Chapman Memorial into 8 stages, some easy, some hard...

It's the distance more than the climbing... after 400 km you need your biggest sprocket for pretty much any incline, being that 5% or 20%... next time I do a 600 I'll make sure it's flat :lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I haven't set any targets for this year and I've pretty much has to cancel every event I've entered between May and September for one reason and another.

However, I'm having a good commute, I'm actually getting out on some decent weekend rides, and as a result the Stravistix progression tracker shows that I might be on for my biggest year since records began in terms of distance and elevation.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Progress update!
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Even with 3 months to go, I hit all my unmabitious targets for this year. For 2018, my second full year as a mamil, my targets would be:
    • Keep commuting by bike through the winter... tick!
    • ...without being hit by rouge taxis or have an accident... tick!
    • and break the 70 kg barrier (currently at 73.0) not happening.
    • Ride an imperial century (longest ride so far is a mere 70 miles)
    • Climb at least a Cat 2 col, or a Cat 1 for extra props.I have a plan..
    • Beat my total time in the Lepra ride.tick!!

I've beaten my Lepra time by a MAHOOSIVE two minutes. Before you laugh, this year I stopped to help fix a puncture and, if last year I had sunny 25C, this year the weather was truly Scottish: rainy 14 degrees. The wind din't really help as much. I was hit by a bad episode of Raynaud, and lost bloodstream into my fingers for long enough that my left little finger turned blue. But I persisted, and after a great final 10 miles into St Andrews knowing the clock was ticking, I did it! Go me!
    On top of that, my garmin has a goal of 5000 km for next year. I don't know, it seems less than 25% likely. Looking at the list, I can see 4/6 being achieved. I doubt I'll do 100 miles next year, and both the 70 kg and Cat2 targets are about 50/50.

The weight ain't happening. I've joined a club, and am riding longer, but my weight is now between 72.5 and 73.0. I mean, I fit medium Castelli jerseys, so I can't be doing that bad, but this isn't happening this year.

For the Cat 2, I've been given permission to ride during the summer holidays... and there are _several_ Cat 2's where we're heading... And a couple of cat 1's within an hour drive.

The century ride won't happen this year, I'm afraid. However, the Garmin distance goal actually now seems feasible! I've got 2300 km to go and, at the current pace, I should do it even if I stopped cycling for the summer.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Return to The Mendips cat3s I did in November 2017, but this time on the Cube and hopefully climb "Draycott Steep" rather than only having time to descend that bonkers 1.2 miles with 725 feet of climbing. Didn't take either bike to CP last month. hired a mountain hybrid to do some local cat4 hills, hope to get some cheap Advance train tickets to take Cube to Mendips this summer

Climb at least one cat2/1/HC hill, at the moment I fancy Bwlch y Groes. Still hope to do this, but I've yet to book it and find something that doesn't cost too much for a few nights stay near Dolgellau, feeling so mentally fatigued considering it's near mid summer. The extended winter and consequent extended SAD has a lot to answer for this year!

Go sub 8mins for Harvesting Lane, means improving by ~15secs. Yes, bagged this one recently, on one of my few trips up Harvesting Lane cat4 this season so far. 7mins 41secs, improvement of 32secs https://www.strava.com/activities/16253 ... /4821/5282

Go sub 14mins for Bell Hill To The Top, means improving by ~30secs. Yes, on my first of trips over there this season, this one while pushing hard from the start of the ~15.78 mile combo with River To Hilltop. Improvement of 1min8secs to 13mins22secs https://www.strava.com/activities/15494 ... /5017/5819

Go sub 9mins for Old Winchester Hill To The Top, means improving by ~40secs. Not yet, but I have improved segment time to 9min12secs https://www.strava.com/activities/16130 ... /3065/3617

Go sub 58mins for River To Hilltop + Bell Hill To The Top combo, means improving by ~3mins. Really please with this one, one single attempt this season so far and improved by 7min7secs to 54mins dead! I continued pushing past the summit, it was my best "full hour of power" (247W) until Saturday night https://www.strava.com/activities/15494 ... /2578/5818

Make good use of the Elite Direto and it's power meter for improving my fitness and power. Training to power from January to mid April indoors has helped me find some good improvements, no doubt about it, plus it's also made me reduce my average cadence considerably from ~95rpm to ~75rpm when I want more power to attempt a segment PB

That should keep me busy.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    Aiming for the ones I missed this year:
    Ride 40 and 50 miles more often. (Say, once a month)
    Get in at least one 100ml ride. I may have to sign up to an event to acheive this.
    Adding: Run a marathon
    Beat my 20 yr old son's PB at Park Run (I'll be 50)☺
    Consolidate: Maintain this years weight loss - staying in 70 to 71kg zone
    Keep recording daily activities however small. (I'm satisfied with five or less non active days a month, though)
    2nd Quarter update

Still in the metric century club and have done the Dragon, my first "proper" imperial century and first over 200km. Very pleased with that.
    Hopefully I can keep motivated to keep up with the MCC challenge now that my big ride is done.

Running a marathon. I'm doubtful about this as I've been cycle focussed for the last 6 weeks. I'm not going to beat myself up if it doesn't happen.

Beaten my Parkrun PB and my son's in May. He's just broken his arm so won't be beating me any time soon. I'm trying not to be too cheerful about that.

Weight is staying down. My belly fat hasn't gone, so I need to think about how to deal with that rather than the BMI stat.

Activity: once I put my Dragon Ride in Strava I had exceeded in 2018 the no. of hours activity recorded in 2017. All good! Partly down to more consistent recording, partly down to more and longer rides. Ive done a 100km ride and a half marathon every month up to May.

Feeling quite good at this stage.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I had two targets this year:

- Ride the Flanders sportive - Done
    - Ride the Cingles de Ventoux. That's coming up fast and given that I'm currently not riding due to a crocked back I'm a bit concerned about this one right now

Rode the Cingles successfully on Saturday. Man, that is a beast of a ride but great to tick the box.

It was my commuting buddy Nick's 50th birthday and 15 of us spent a great long weekend in a farmhouse just outside Bedoin. About ten of us completed the Cingles with others riding various combinations depending on how they felt.

Being in a big group and all wearing bespoke team kit definitely helped.
    FCN = 4