Froome Vuelta salbutamol problem

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Shipley wrote:
    It’s nothing to do with an inhaler, it’s the publicity SKY generate in the UK media, and the reduced investment from advertisers / investors that will be its undoing. There’s a spotlight on the (and other) sport which is greater than ever before and ‘doping’ is now frowned upon more than ever. Froome’s innocence or guilt is irrelevant, the sport will be further damaged the longer this drags out.

There has to be a better way to resolve this scenario than the current shambles.
    I would suggest that the offence isn't really that serious and his continuing participation would be understood by most people if it was reported to them sensibly and factually. Unfortunately it isn't. And that's not Froome's fault.

And there is a better way to resolve it - confidentially as it should have been. That it is not is again not Froome's fault.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Shipley wrote:
    It’s nothing to do with an inhaler, it’s the publicity SKY generate in the UK media, and the reduced investment from advertisers / investors that will be its undoing. There’s a spotlight on the (and other) sport which is greater than ever before and ‘doping’ is now frowned upon more than ever. Froome’s innocence or guilt is irrelevant, the sport will be further damaged the longer this drags out.

There has to be a better way to resolve this scenario than the current shambles.

Maybe we should go back to the 90s when there was a heap of doping but because there was no "investment" in the sport from the UK no-one really cared!

If a sport can be seriously damaged by a guy - known to have asthma - at worst taking a few too many puffs on an asthma inhaler then it has no long term future anyway.
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Maybe we should go back to the 90s when there was a heap of doping but because there was no "investment" in the sport from the UK no-one really cared!
    As late as 2004, British TV were pointing out Robbie McEwen had a British passport to try and generate some local interest.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    r0bh wrote:
    a few too many puffs on an asthma inhaler.

Is that what’s caused all this ? Oh, ok then.......

:lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    r0bh wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

If a sport can be seriously damaged by a guy - known to have asthma - at worst taking a few too many puffs on an asthma inhaler then it has no long term future anyway.

If a sport can be seriously damaged by a team - known to have a zero tolerance policy on doping - supporting and keeping employing a man who has a failed doping test, together with another one who has a known background of dangerous riding and racist comments then perhaps it's pretty flawed anyway.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    r0bh wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

Lol, you can trust old Millar to come out with some media friendly holier than thou sound bites. What a hypocrite, how many riders did he race with for years whilst knowing they'd done shed loads of EPO while doing it himself!

Plus ca change, eh.....

Funny how attitudes change.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    r0bh wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

Lol, you can trust old Millar to come out with some media friendly holier than thou sound bites. What a hypocrite, how many riders did he race with for years whilst knowing they'd done shed loads of EPO while doing it himself!

Plus ca change, eh.....

Funny how attitudes change.

(a) don't edit my posts please.
    (b) I've no idea what your point is anyway (if there is one)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    redvision wrote:

Really? Does Chris Froome have to go ask mummy every time he wants to use his inhaler? If he manages to show something that means he doesn't get a ban, it's no one's fault... apart from whoever the douchebag leaker is who wanted his mates to think he was important.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    gsk82 wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Really? Does Chris Froome have to go ask mummy every time he wants to use his inhaler? If he manages to show something that means he doesn't get a ban, it's no one's fault... apart from whoever the douchebag leaker is who wanted his mates to think he was important.
    I’m pretty sure the leaker didn’t make him inhale the stuff.
  • For those convinced Froome was doping long before this blew up it's the equivalent of Al Capone being busted for tax evasion. They don't care, as long as he gets nailed. He deserves it, if not for this, but for whatever dodgyness they think he's done in the past.

Revisiting the narrative of this case, we start with "COVER UP!!!!" because it was leaked, and nobody had told us there was an issue before (as per standard process). At this point we've already got people buying into some sort of nefarious action just because they weren't told, and we hear a load of moaning about transparency...
    r
    Next we have the theorisors. Blood bag (nope, he'd have to be 50% Salbutamol to give that reading from taking a blood bag), nebuliser (a bit pointless and stupid, he could have got a TUE for it if he did), weight loss in pill format (come ******* on, up your game, morons), masking agent (right, it's not known to be a masking agent, and it's routinely tested for, and Froome was going to get tested)

Then we have the scandlizers "It's a scandal!!!" "Image of the sport!!!" "Dragging the sport into the gutter!!!" "He should self-suspend!!!" These are all people that are doing far, far more damage to the image of the sport than Froome getting popped for going over the limit on a not-really-a-PED substance. Yes, it's a pain in the ars* not knowing what results he might keep, but blowing it up as a doping story is ******* ridiculous, and effectively slanders our sport. The general public don't know better, of course, but when cycling fans, managers and pros are on this track it's only reinforcing the idea that some seriously nefarious shite has gone down, which is nothing short of preposterous.

We're all pissed off this hasn't been sorted. We all accept that if Froome/Sky can't prove innocence he'll get a ban (9 months seems to be the standard), but hatred of Froome/Sky and belief that they're serious dopers is exciting idiots into blowing this well out of proportion. So a huge thanks to all the twats that mean I have to explain, again, that cycling isn't actually all that bad wrt PEDs, thanks for making our sport look dirty as fark in the eyes of the general public (they didn't need much convincing)... Your ******* hobby horses are ******* our sport over.

Yes, I'm looking at some posters here. And I'm looking at arseholes like Vaughters, Guimard etc. And yes, Tony Martin as well, with his half-hearted backtrack when he found out what the rules really were....

Way to f@cking go in shooting our sport in the foot, knobmoomins.

Just read the latest P York blog. And then read this. Tidy it up a bit, slightly less anglo saxon and it nails it! And, as no-one seems to be doing, compare and contrast, if you will. How may GT winners have been closely associated with teams that had 5 (five) riders busted for actual use of bona fide PEDs in one year? Anyone? Vincenzo? Compare and contrast? Alejandro? Weigh in any time you want! Oh and Alberto, care to comment. there you are, 3 actual offences - no bending, actual rule(r) breaking. Screw it! I'm wearing my Sky jersey tomorrow when I go out. Haters gonna hate no matter what.!
  • RichN95.
    People keep saying Froome will be a distraction, a circus etc. I think by the time Tirreno-Adractico is over (his second scheduled race) most people will have got over it and just accepted that he's racing.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    RichN95 wrote:
    People keep saying Froome will be a distraction, a circus etc. I think by the time Tirreno-Adractico is over (his second scheduled race) most people will have got over it and just accepted that he's racing.

Disagree. We've managed to keep this thread going for 90 odd pages with no real news beyond Chris testing positive/having an adverse finding.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RichN95 wrote:

When he's stood on the top step with that innocent and you may say to yourself well how did I get here look??
  • RichN95 wrote:

When he's stood on the top step with that innocent and you may say to yourself well how did I get here look??

Romain Bardet already owns that look.

Bardet.jpg

Romain-Bardet-cheval-d-orgueil.jpg

romain-bardet-reuters-759.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • After growing up in the era of deux vitesse he probably does then he realises he's still up against it
  • After growing up in the era of deux vitesse he probably does then he realises he's still up against it
    Vitesse:

Rover-SD1-Vitesse-19.05.13-007-1024x576.jpg

Deux:

Dales+2CV.jpg

:wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    After growing up in the era of deux vitesse he probably does then he realises he's still up against it
    Vitesse:

Rover-SD1-Vitesse-19.05.13-007-1024x576.jpg

Deux:

Dales+2CV.jpg

:wink:
    1200px-Fiat_Uno_II.JPG

Uno (AG2R/Astana/Movistar)
  • RichN95.
    redvision wrote:
    It's nonesense.

1. Froome is responsible for his inhaler. It's not like pills where the doctors can hand out a few at a time.

2. Froome shouldn't be judged by other Sky behaviours - behaviours which have never lead to any sanction.

3. And this is possibly the most important. We can criticise the opinions of transgender people. True acceptance is treating them like anyone else. I say it now. Phillippa Yorke is a poor pundit.
  • ^you really do have your work cut out
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    RichN95 wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    It's nonesense.

1. Froome is responsible for his inhaler. It's not like pills where the doctors can hand out a few at a time.

2. Froome shouldn't be judged by other Sky behaviours - behaviours which have never lead to any sanction.

3. And this is possibly the most important. We can criticise the opinions of transgender people. True acceptance is treating them like anyone else. I say it now. Phillippa Yorke is a poor pundit.

How do you know about 1? Are you saying Froome pops out to the chemist or doctor if he needs a new inhaler?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    smithy21 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    It's nonesense.

How do you know about 1? Are you saying Froome pops out to the chemist or doctor if he needs a new inhaler?

No he's saying he doesn't go ask the doctor for his inhaler every time he wants a toot on it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    again..the rule is probably a bit stupid..but it is the rule. no matter WHO is responsible for that level he tested for he tested positive.

now the rules say he can appeal with an explanation/excuse and if that happens and is accepted he gets off

otherwise

the end.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Matthewfalle
    How do you know about 1? Are you saying Froome pops out to the chemist or doctor if he needs a new inhaler?[/quote]

of course he does. he's a bloke who rides a bicycle, not the bloody Shah of Iran.

why - do you think a new one gets delivered on a red velvet cushion each time he needs one?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718

of course he does. he's a bloke who rides a bicycle, not the bloody Shah of Iran.

why - do you think a new one gets delivered on a red velvet cushion each time he needs one?[/quote]
    err , mine gets delivered by the local chemist . admittedly , not on a red velvet cushion though .
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

why - do you think a new one gets delivered on a red velvet cushion each time he needs one?[/quote]

Nah. Jiffybag by personal courier.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

No, I am suggesting that with the proportion of cyclists in the peloton who are asthmatic teams probably have high involvement with procurement of inhalers/ salbutamol. I don’t think Froome is popping down the shops when his supply runs out.
  • Matthewfalle
    nah. he pops down the chemist. of course he does.

they are cyclists for pete's sake, not the sacred cows of Mumbai.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Too tedious to read through the whole thread, what were the antibiotics Froome was taking along with the 'inhaled' Salbutamol
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nah. he pops down the chemist. of course he does.

they are cyclists for pete's sake, not the sacred cows of Mumbai.
    He's not going to carry his own drugs when he's got a domestique to hold them for him.