Froome Vuelta salbutamol problem

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    So if all this rumbles on Bertie style and Froome wins another two tours this year without adverse asthma drug findings then what does this demonstrate. Is taking all this medication is a bit pointless and he had the skills regardless and therefore what is the point of the rule. He has won now over a long time both with and without adverse findings so what was the point in this case in taking this drug. Does he really believe that in a clinical test he can recreate this result and therefore admonish himself? Who knows.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pros seem to be up for commenting on his pozzie more than is usual when a name gets hit with an AAF
    It's the off season, there's no news and websites have clicks to get. So more people are asking for comments.

I assume Moscon is keeping a list
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Katie Compton (US Cyclo Cross Champion) says her gut feeling is that 'something more is going on'. This is definitely the sort of data we need on this case. :lol:

Apparently Cadel Evan's dog is up next for interview.
    Bark once for guilty, twice for something else going on and in English for innocent. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pros seem to be up for commenting on his pozzie more than is usual when a name gets hit with an AAF

:lol::lol::lol: :shock:

I'd say Froome is pretty confident of not getting a ban - I don't think he's the type to continue to state he'll be at the Giro if he wasn't going to make it. I could be wrong though!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Katie Compton (US Cyclo Cross Champion) says her gut feeling is that 'something more is going on'. This is definitely the sort of data we need on this case. :lol:

Bark once for guilty, twice for something else going on and in English for innocent. :wink:
    I liked andyp's idea up the thread of Cycling News conducting a seance to get Anquetil's opinions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    edited January 2018
    CarbonClem wrote:

CN 'journo' steps on dog during interview, Cadel cuts off CN journo's head, Sir DB accused of setting up the whole incident whilst Brian Cookson kept lookout ....
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Double post ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    As far as Froome self suspending etc, whilst I'm sure that he doesn't have to tell BC surely it would make sense for him to do so if that were his choice?

Otherwise there's a potential for a future hearing and penalty to be awarded, with self suspension taken into account, and retrospective accusations that BC etc had effectively declared him not suspended when in fact he was?

Otherwise the whole concept of a self suspension during winter months becomes laughable.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:
    As far as Froome self suspending etc, whilst I'm sure that he doesn't have to tell BC surely it would make sense for him to do so if that were his choice?

Otherwise there's a potential for a future hearing and penalty to be awarded, with self suspension taken into account, and retrospective accusations that BC etc had effectively declared him not suspended when in fact he was?

Otherwise the whole concept of a self suspension during winter months becomes laughable.
    Self suspension just means telling the UCI that you aren't going to race for a certain period*. They're the ones ruling on this not British Cycling - it's nothing to do with them. Froome probably doesn't even know anyone involved in British Cycling beyond Rod Ellingworth anyway.

Of course it's quite possible, probable even, that he hasn't self suspended, but let's not mistake not knowing something has happen with something not happening.

*They might not even have to do that. Just not racing would probably be deemed sufficient.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Probably why he's not racing in Australia this year.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Probably why he's not racing in Australia this year.
    I'm not sure he would have done anyway. The Tour of the Valencia/Algarve/other in February is his likely first planned race
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'd say Froome is pretty confident of not getting a ban - I don't think he's the type to continue to state he'll be at the Giro if he wasn't going to make it. I could be wrong though!

Yes but he's been saying he'll be at the Giro for a while, if he had the evidence then wouldn't he have presented it and been cleared by now ? I'm not saying you are wrong but it can be argued either way, I tend to go with he's just acting as if he won't be banned until he knows one way or the other, mentally if he writes off the season it would be hard to prepare for it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joelsim
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes but he's been saying he'll be at the Giro for a while, if he had the evidence then wouldn't he have presented it and been cleared by now ? I'm not saying you are wrong but it can be argued either way, I tend to go with he's just acting as if he won't be banned until he knows one way or the other, mentally if he writes off the season it would be hard to prepare for it.

The interview that he gave to Sky Sports News suggested that information had been requested and given. Not sure what as there was no detail.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Joelsim wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

The interview that he gave to Sky Sports News suggested that information had been requested and given. Not sure what as there was no detail.
    as there shouldn`t be . it`s up to UCI to decide if he is guilty not the press or internet forums .
  • Matthewfalle
    Joelsim wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Completely unbiased then ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joelsim wrote:

There could only be bias is Sky Sports news formed an opinion one way or the other. If Froome said he'd provided that info requested, reporting that is not a matter of bias.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    RichN95 wrote:
    No, she thinks he's available as she knows no different. Maybe he is maybe he isn't. If they select him to ride the Keirin then I'm sure BC will find out.

Remember this was never supposed to be public. Everything will have been conducted on a need to know basis.

He races under a British Cycling issued license, if he's suspended BC would know as they'd need to suspend his license.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    No, she thinks he's available as she knows no different. Maybe he is maybe he isn't. If they select him to ride the Keirin then I'm sure BC will find out.

Remember this was never supposed to be public. Everything will have been conducted on a need to know basis.

He races under a British Cycling issued license, if he's suspended BC would know as they'd need to suspend his license.
    I don't think that's how self-suspending works, though. I don't think the licence is actually suspended. They just agree not to race.
  • Matthewfalle
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

There could only be bias is Sky Sports news formed an opinion one way or the other. If Froome said he'd provided that info requested, reporting that is not a matter of bias.

Bias can also be portrayed in the type, level, depth and direction of questioning of the interviewer.

Example:
    Have you sorted the dodgy result issue?
    Yes
    Cool. How are you doing? How are the wife and family?

Or

Have you sorted the dodgy result yet?
    Yes
    Well why did it happen? Did the team know? Did they instruct you to do it? Do you think that after all the other stuff recently it's fishy? Can you understand the interest from people about this? If your asthma was that bad why did you carry on racing? What are your thoughts on others being banned for the same offence?

Etc etc.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    Guardian pretty loose in their reporting. They fail to differential between the concentration in blood (the permitted limit) and the concentration in urine (an (gue)stimate of what was actually in the body).

Matthewfalle - really? Do you buy into all conspiracy theories? :wink:
  • joelsim
    The Sky Sports interview.

Froome simply stated that the UCI had asked for further information which had then been supplied. No more than that.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Not surprising, journalists are going to ask riders for opinions and the way this is dragging on we'll get more of this type of comment.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • larkim
    https://twitter.com/inrng/status/953128018775609344

Malfunctioning kidneys apparently?

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rou ... mol/867155 but need subscription to access all of the Equipe article.
  • Matthewfalle
    larkim wrote:

Malfunctioning kidneys apparently?

Brilliant :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • larkim
    I suspect that's "lost in translation", so malfunctioning could equally be "a problem with".

I know nothing of human biology so don't know how credible it might be - but equally I sincerely hope that if Froome does have a valid defence, that it is one which is provable and repeatable in him rather than something which "might" happen to him (but there's no guarantee that it does / did)
  • joelsim

Bardet is right IMO.

And I’m certainly not anti-Froome.

With regard to kidney malfunction :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Man's a medical marvel
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Matthewfalle
    Man's a medical marvel

Asthma, kidney malfunctions, aliens growing inside him. Blimey, he's like Steve Austin but only in lycra..............

Strange how he had none of the other symptoms of kidney issues at the time. Although if he did and they were ignored/not picked up on that's shocking.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.