Is being good at cycling a realistic goal?

BMRB
BMRB Posts: 14
Hey everyone, so I have been cycling for 3 years and I'll give you a run through of my experience before asking a few questions. So I started cycling few years back between Feb to October and after about 1400 miles I finally averaged 15mph. Then I took a three months break and lost all my gain. Then I stared again in 2016 but went on a holiday in summer for a month and lost my strength again. Then I cycled from there till Feb 2017 including cycling in winter so I don't lose my gains but life happens and I became busy in February and lost my gains again. Since then I've been cycling on and off hovering between 12-13mph average. A few things to note, I cycle the same route everytime and my area is very hilly. I cycle mostly 10 miles, more than half being going uphill. Most I've done in my little to below 3 years is 24 miles. After about two months of 10 miles cycling, I'll then increase length. My bike is a proper carbon road bike so I have the gear to do the proper distance. In my first year I'd cycle 6 days a week. As years went by it became less.

When I become good at cycling and take a break for a month I lose all my gain. I feel very angry that this happens. Not only does it take a long time to build endurance and strength, you lose it soon as you look away. On top of that I do have a few bottlenecks that have caused me to not increase my endurance/strength. The hours it takes to cover 20+ miles and my sit bones aching. I've adjusted my seat and even bought a premium castelli bib which the site or manufacture didn't bother pointing out that these premium branded clothes are racing fit only. So I bought it and the seat pad doesn't even cover my sit bones which to me makes the whole bib useless, I'm not bothered about the Aero gain.

Now I have joined the gym for the first time. To get an idea I am 6'2, 13 stones. The few questions I have is, to gain mass/muscle you eat loads especially if you're an ectomorph. But as I cycle it will burn off so I plan to eat even more. I wish to be good at cycling and have decent size muscles.

When doing leg and back exercises in gym, will this strengthen my core muscles to solve any lower back issues I may have after a long cycling session?

I know the best cycling in winter is cycling outdoors. Now the gym has two types of bikes that I wish to use. The first is the one that looks just like a bike, it has a flywheel and tt like handles. The other is an exercise bike. Between the exercise bike and the indoor bike, which works the same muscles as an outdoor bike? I do not wish to ride these bikes for fitness/weight-loss, I see that as an additional thing, the core purpose is to continue my endurance and increase strength so when I'm on my bike saddle I'll have improved. I can't stress enough how the indoor cycling has become so over complicated with there being so many options and workouts. I just feel frustrated.

Third question is, what have I done wrong? 3000 miles cycled in 2 3/4 years and I'm averaging 12mph. I have nothing to show :-( I feel angry and upset when I think about it. It was meant to be simple. Cycle, increase length and hill climbs, eat good and you'll see gains. But nothing, I never got good enough to do intervals, I couldn't increase length cos of sit bone issues and when I took a break my power would vanish. I know what I need to do, correct clothing, better bike seat and that'll solve my endurance problems. But what I need help with is having the ability to cycle indoors so I have less breaks and figuring out what I do wrong.

Have I pushed myself too little? Two months of 10 miles, should I have gown further each time my body wasn't tired from the cycle?

I've seen British Cycling boast about being able to cycle 30 miles within 4-6 weeks (can't remember) of training. No way can you do 30 miles of cycling daily within 4-6 weeks of cycling. It depends on so many factors such as fitness, the area you live etc. I thought this was meant to be fun while being fit. It's been nothing but frustrating. I think I'm going to give this all one final attempt or I'm giving up this sport for good!

Thanks for reading

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    1/10.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I was a kid when I started cycling. I don't think we'd bother with a ride of less than 10 miles - that's nothing.
    Our first challenge ride was 52 miles round trip. Basically in school kit with rucksacks for food and tools.

If you're sticking at 10 miles distance then thats probably why you've not progressed.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    definitely quit ... seriously, unless you NEED to cycle ie commute, drag Froomes arse up a hill, play with your kid ... then why would you do something you dont enjoy.

if you are not enjoying cycling at 13mph, what makes you think you will enjoy it at 16mph .. or 20mph. .. ITs the same ... only a teeeeeny bit quicker and you go a little bit further.

When I started I was slow and I used to cycle until I couldnt cycle any more ....... now I am faster, but it still only cycle until I cant cycle anymore

The difference being I enjoyed it when I was slow and I enjoy it now (which is still slow compared to the kids half my age that I cycle with)

WHY ... are you cycling ... if its just because you want to be good, then you are setting yourself up for failure because there will always be people better than you,... what is good anyway ..... I think 20mph average is good .. and that I am a bit rubbish, but people that cycle at 13mph probably think my 17mph is gpod .. its relative
  • BMRB
    Yes I knew that was going to be brought up, what does good when cycling? For me it's 15+mph. As for why I'm doing something I don't enjoy, I enjoy it when I'm riding my bike, seeing a lack of gain has just caused me to lose will as the purpose I cycle for is competitive not leisure. I love my bike and have spent a lot of money to be able to do it comfortably. I know my original post was very negative, in general I'm a competitive person. So when I can't be as good as I wish, well I get upset. When I first cycled, of course I enjoyed it even though I was slow, I knew it would take time and just loved riding my bike in general regardless of the weather. As for never being happy cos others will always be happy, absolutely not am I like that. I don't care if others are a lot quicker, they may have had better bikes or have trainer more, who knows. I'm not ungrateful, I just want to be good at this sport and so I asked a few questions.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ride further, more often.
  • BMRB
    Yes you are correct :-) I need to ride further and more often. Regarding riding indoors, I want to know which bike (exercise or indoors) would help me be able to ride and work out the same muscles that an outdoor bike works out. Right now I'm not able to purchase a turbo trainer and I can't always cycle outdoors. Either it's very windy or icy. Additionally I have parents that aren't too fond of me cycling at night and it gets dark pretty quick.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    BMRB wrote:
    Yes you are correct :-) I need to ride further and more often. Regarding riding indoors, I want to know which bike (exercise or indoors) would help me be able to ride and work out the same muscles that an outdoor bike works out. Right now I'm not able to purchase a turbo trainer and I can't always cycle outdoors. Either it's very windy or icy. Additionally I have parents that aren't too fond of me cycling at night and it gets dark pretty quick.

Don't over-think it. At your current level of fitness, pretty much any exercise you do is going to help. Any 'upright' cycle trainer will do.
  • BMRB
    Yes you are correct again! I have a lot to learn. I've realised that my cycling that I did in the past, I have made mistakes. I guess every day is a school day :-) I'll start cycling again, I'm going to do it properly this time! I have you guys to give me helpful advice too, I should have joined a cycling forum years ago...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BMRB wrote:
    l as the purpose I cycle for is competitive not leisure.

Really?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    If you're not improving by what you're currently doing (and have done in the past) then you need to change the way you do it. So for example in your first post you were talking about cycling 6 days a week, well reduce that down to 3-4 days a week and then start off at your current shorter distances and work your way up to make your rides longer. British cycling are right that anyone can do 30 mile rides within 4-6 weeks but the best way to get there is not by doing 6 days a week of 10 to 15 mile rides.

If you're getting saddle pain don't be quick to conclude that only different shorts or saddle are the solution. It could simply be that you need to get used to it, it could be that a simple change of position will improve things. For example I get saddle pain if I sit up a lot when cycling such as when riding on the tops but rarely any when riding on the hoods.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    cooldad wrote:
    BMRB wrote:
    l as the purpose I cycle for is competitive not leisure.

Really?

That's what I thought! If thats the case then I suspect unless the OP changes his 'training' dramatically then unfortunately being good at competitive cycling does not appear to me to be a realistic goal.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    You just need to do longer rides. In the last 3 years I've only done around the same miles as you and I'm no means an athlete, but I could walk out of the door now and do the 52 mile round trip to Matlock in the Peak District at 16+ mph.

When I first took up cycling again, my first ride was 57 miles including Holme Moss. It was a stupid idea, I was in a complete mess and had to keep stopping on the way home, but it was as much a mental test as it was a physical one.
  • fenix
    How old are you ?

12mph is very slow to be honest with you. Is your computer correct ?
  • BMRB
    I'm 23, tbh it wasn't spot on 12mph. I began at 12mph, I didn't stay there until recently where my cycling isn't consistent. Between 13.5/14mph is what I'd get once I reach 15-20miles daily. That would be after cycling consistently for over a month.
  • fenix
    There's a fairly big charity ride near me - thousands do it each year :
    https://www.liverpoolchesterliverpool.c ... -liverpool

The most popular route is the 50 miler and you get all sorts of people doing it. BMX bikes, bikes with almost flat tyres, probably 50% have the saddle way too low and they carry so much extra kit with them. Its kids up to old folk and a lot of them haven't done much training.

i think you just need to man up and start riding longer. You can't exhaust your energy reserves if you do a 90 minute bike ride at your level. Just start going further.

My main concern is that you've no sense of adventure. Riding the same route all the time ? Not venturing further in all this time ? I don't think cycling is for you. I was itching to explore when I was 10 years younger than you - thats what pushed me to ride further and further.

At 16 I rode 140 miles unaccompanied - I only knew the first 40 miles. It was an adventure. I think I'd been riding about 2 or three years by then ?
  • cooldad
    You're 6'3", 23 and
    BMRB wrote:
    ... I have parents that aren't too fond of me cycling at night and it gets dark pretty quick.
    Is this a wind up?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BMRB
    How's any of that relevant? If you're not gonna be of any help, sod off!
  • I'm going to presume you're not trolling.

10 miles, on a bike, is just about a warm up (unless you are obese). You have to push way harder, for longer. Less often (allow for adaptations) say 4 days per week and try 20 miles at 80% of your ftp(maximum effort)
  • cooldad
    BMRB wrote:
    How's any of that relevant? If you're not gonna be of any help, sod off!

Seriously? You've had a decent bike for 3 years and all you can do is pootle around and make excuses.

Ride for fun, or find something you actually enjoy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BMRB
    Oh c'mon, if you're really going to attack me do it properly like a real man!

Thanks salfordboys, there are many reasons why I chose not to cycle to many miles but now that I have the time, I'm willing to do it properly. I guess I have nothing to complain about, I didn't put in the effort, I didn't get the result.
  • cooldad
    You're in a road cycling forum. People here wear tight multicoloured lycra. I didn't want to make you cry.

Buy a mountain bike, come across to the Real Man side, and continue the conversation there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BMRB
    So only real men ride mountain bikes, that's a nice thing to say on the road bike section. You're coming across like a real gentleman. You talk about being a real man haha, finally a good joke.
  • You can do this, and being good is relative anyway. My "good" men's I can do 50miles four times per week at 16mph (solo). With an ftp of 210 (at 44 after only six months cycling).
    What's your good, your aims, metrics?
  • BMRB
    Well if I average 15mph+, able to ride up most steep Yorkshire hills and a endurance of 40+ miles then I'd be happy. I do have big dreams of cycling all over UK, along coast lines and in other eu countries but they are long term goals. I don't know what my ftp is and I feel I need to invest in a cycling computer soon that reads cadence and HR as mines pretty basic. I did go on my bike ride today but I'll most likely be using gym bikes till this sub zero weather goes.

What you're able to achieve is really good. If you go on 50 miles bike rides averaging 16mph I'm sure you are quite happy. What did you mean by at 44 after only six months cycling? Are you 44 yrs old and can achieve those figures after only six months of cycling, if so that's amazing. I guess it is achievable, if you train right and know what you are doing. Was there anything in particular you did or was it just slowly increasing endurance?
  • BMRB wrote:
    Well if I average 15mph+, able to ride up most steep Yorkshire hills and a endurance of 40+ miles then I'd be happy ...... and I feel I need to invest in a cycling computer soon that reads cadence and HR as mines pretty basic.

Well for starters Yorkshire is hilly, so your average speed is going to differ from somebody who is hammering out fast, flat miles in Essex or whatever. It's all relative. I still remember the first time I managed 30 miles at 17mph, it was quite an achievement for me and I was stoked.

There's no secret to getting "good" on a bike. You need to ride. Then ride some more. Then ride further. Then ride harder. Enjoy! Want to get better at hills? Ride more hills! Of course leading a healthy lifestyle and recovering well from each ride helps, but at the end of the day it's pretty simple. No magic bullet.

To put it super simply, in order to get faster ... Pedal harder! :D
  • BMRB
    Yes exactly, that's why I don't consider Average speed the only deciding factor when it comes to progress. Yup, that's what I thought but I also thought perhaps there is a specific training routine he may of followed. As for riding up hills to get better at hill climbing, definitely agree! I'll be doing some hill climbing intervals and see how well that helps with increasing my ability to climb steep hills.
  • fenix
    You dont need a HRM or a computer. You just need to ride the bike.

As you are young I presume you have a smartphone ? Put Strava on that and put it in your back pocket. Sorted.
  • BMRB
    Yes I have a smartphone. I have looked into strava before, it definitely can do what the fancy cycling computers do with a few other additional features. Seems like the cheaper option too compared to high end Garmin computers, I'll try it out.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Fenix wrote:
    You dont need a HRM or a computer. You just need to ride the bike.

As you are young I presume you have a smartphone ? Put Strava on that and put it in your back pocket. Sorted.

Exactly this.

I started on a 18 mile circular route and called it my training ride so every time I went out I tried that little bit harder and when I checked Strava it showed I was getting slightly better/faster but this motivated me.
    I do cycle other routes but every so often do my Training ride and as soon as I'm home check Strava to see how I've done.
    This alone and following a few friends on Strava helped me loads. You dont always need to ride with friends and I have only done it a couple of times so don't think you Need to ride with them just follow them as if they ride the same area they will inevitably ride the same stretch of road as you do so you can check how you compare.
    Just cycle further but less often as suggested and your fitness will improve.

T
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi BRMB - we get quite a lot of trolls around these parts which is why some of the guys may have not taken your question too seriously. Most of us here have been around cycling for a number of years and tend to be fairly adventurous.
    I ride in lumpy North Wales (Snowdonia) and reasonably flat Buckinghamshire (Chilterns and Dunstable Downs) regularly. Its very difficult to compare times with other cyclists in different areas, for example, I can do a 30 mile ride here in Bucks and average 21mph, or a 30 mile ride in Wales and average 15mph. So don't be thinking your 10 or 15 miles at less than 15mph is inadequate. Its great that you have a target, but for now I think you should be focusing on increasing your distance. Using Strava to see what other local rides do people near you do. When you get into using Strava might be worth coming back and asking some questions then about getting the most out of it.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with not going out during the night time until you become more confident of riding and knowing your local roads more. So training in the gym on an upright stationary bike is fine, initially have a look at GCN on Youtube as they have some training video's that are well worth a look. I would probably Google for 12 week indoor cycling plan for a beginner. I personally use an App called Sufferfest, this connects to my Garmin (bike computer) and to my Ipad - there are specific training plans within the app, I am following one of those. I don't think you need to complicate matters by looking at FTP just yet.
    I would also have a think about your riding style, are you going too hard on the hills? Could you ride up in an easier gear? Whilst this may be slower at first it will allow you to ride for longer distances. Once you get used to riding for longer your speed will likely naturally increase.
    The thing is though, you really have to enjoy it. Cycling in hilly regions can be very tough and if you don't actually enjoy the fundamentals of cycling, which for me is being in the great outdoors, seeing places and people you wouldn't normally and challenging myself. I always like the saying, its not about the destination its about the journey - and you have to enjoy that journey.