Zwift price increase

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    RGT is still very beta.
    A long winded download more or less every time you use it.
    Requires higher end equipment - turbo/PC .. for the graphics and the climbing feedback from a DD turbo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    JGSI wrote:
    RGT is still very beta.
    A long winded download more or less every time you use it.
    Requires higher end equipment - turbo/PC .. for the graphics and the climbing feedback from a DD turbo

Hmm, have the higher end dd turbo, not sure about the other hardware though.....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I've yet to try RGT, it's installed on my Mac, won't go on iPad. That limits it.

And, today, when I fired it up to look at it, as stated, it wanted me to download the new version.

Faff that.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • The price increase will lose riders. Surely the price hike will not be a strong promoter for Zwift. A lot of newcomers to virtual cycling will be turned off by the pricing.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Daniel B wrote:
    Rabk wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Had not seen RGT at all - just tried to register for the Beta, see if they will offer me an account or not - looks interesting potentially.
    Am I right in thinking that Zwift only has 4-5 different routes? That also put me off.

RGT does bulk activation so you will get access sometime between now and next month depending on when they set the accounts up.

Zwft has 3 locales Watopia, London and Richmond that are played depending on the calendar ..... within each locale there are various different loops you can ride and pin together ... it can take you a few hours to get round Watopia . But due to the amount of people riding it doesnt actually get dull as there are always people to interact with. Even if you dont want to race having someone just up the road does make you push harder to catch them up .. its like commuting .. then there is the whole workout, group workout, racing and group rides to do. I have no issues paying the new price IF they sort the reliability out quick !

Thanks FD - liking the look of RGT a lot, looks like it has a lot of potential.

Yup me too - like the look of RGT - signed up and awaiting a code 8)

Perhaps I will see you on there then Rab, guess I will recognise you by your string vest kit :-)
    I'll be the one in black and yellow or green and yellow - assuming you can spec kit colour of course.......

Haha :lol:

string vest kit - great idea - super aero - just like the dimples on a golf ball :mrgreen:
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I've yet to try RGT, it's installed on my Mac, won't go on iPad. That limits it.

And, today, when I fired it up to look at it, as stated, it wanted me to download the new version.

Faff that.

Because they are still in Beta there are lots of updates that can take up to 20 minutes to download. The RGT interface is nicer (IMO) than Zwift and a more enjoyable place to be whist suffering in the paincave :)
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I have moaned about the price increase, but I am British so thats par for the course. Realistically I will still use it at £13 a month but will now definitely not be paying in summer when I hardly use it. They need to get the servers stable though and add some more features over the coming months to fully justify the price rise.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    cgfw201 wrote:
    £4 extra a month
    redvision wrote:
    A 50% price increase but for what??
    I thought £8 a month was just about acceptable but whilst £4 doesn't sound much more for what you get i think it is now overpriced.

Was £8 now £12.99. I make that a penny off £5 more... :roll:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • TheFD wrote:
    cgfw201 wrote:
    £4 extra a month
    redvision wrote:
    A 50% price increase but for what??
    I thought £8 a month was just about acceptable but whilst £4 doesn't sound much more for what you get i think it is now overpriced.

Was £8 now £12.99. I make that a penny off £5 more... :roll:

It's a 50% increase if paying in US dollars $10 -> $15. But for UK customers it's £8 to £12.99 a 50% increase would have been £12.00
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Although its a bit of a hike...it's only £5 more, in the grand scheme of how much I spend on cycling each year its not a lot and I will continue to pay for it this winter as I am enjoying it now.........but...... I will cancel in Spring (that was always the plan as I'll ride outdoors and be racing) and come next winter I will consider an alternative instead of just signing up.
  • Only just started using it (thankfully just before the price rise), and I think there's probably enough there to justify the price. While I don't understand just bumbling about in there at conversation pace, I'll use the structured workouts and races over the winter a lot more than I ever went to the gym.
  • Can you pay monthly so can cancel during summer when not using it?
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    Can you pay monthly so can cancel during summer when not using it?

Yes, indeed you can't not pay monthly, that's the only option.

Of course for existing customers we're on £8 until this time next year. So the time to evaluate if it's worth £12.99 is next November, not now.
  • Richj
    shiznit76 wrote:

I pay monthly and can cancel at anytime (well I believe I can). Just checked and my price is locked in at £8.

For me its worth it, I follow the plans/workouts and build my own and am finding it works really well. Its the only platform I have used where I have managed to turbo for 2hrs so feel it does something right.

I don't get the racing or group rides stuff.....but that's because I just get dropped :lol:
  • Richj wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

I pay monthly and can cancel at anytime (well I believe I can). Just checked and my price is locked in at £8.

For me its worth it, I follow the plans/workouts and build my own and am finding it works really well. Its the only platform I have used where I have managed to turbo for 2hrs so feel it does something right.

I don't get the racing or group rides stuff.....but that's because I just get dropped :lol:

heh same here. I've not managed to find a group ride yet where I'm not riding on the limit for 5-10 mins then get dropped, same every time. Nothing like Zwift to make you realise that you're slow!

Thankfully the riding solo thing is pretty cool so I mostly do that.
  • Richj wrote:

I got dropped first race because everyone seemed to set off at a ridiculous rate, so second time I went out as fast as I could and went off the front for the first minute. Then got caught and came last in my category. But only by 1 second so that's progress.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you choosing the right group rides ? There are a few different categories. Its really cool when you find the right one and hang in there. Look for the E groups for the easiest ride
  • Richj
    I pick the right category for my W/kg....am fine on the flat but straight out the back on the climbs.....but then I am 90kgs and in a race I did I was heaviest rider by over 20kgs....think that had something to do with it.....but best not go there.

I think its great for the workouts.....will leave group rides.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Richj wrote:
    I pick the right category for my W/kg....am fine on the flat but straight out the back on the climbs.....but then I am 90kgs and in a race I did I was heaviest rider by over 20kgs....think that had something to do with it.....but best not go there.

That's fairly realistic though isn't it?
    Small and light are generally quicker up climbs, Larger and heavier are generally better on the flats.
  • cougie
    Its funny - I was late joining a club ride the other week and they sped off into the distance. I chased for 20 mins and was just about to give up but we'd hit Box Hill then - and I caught the group and got near the front of it. So I reckon the ride that week was heavier but strong riders. Very realistic I thought apart from no virtual cafe stops.
  • Richj
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Richj wrote:

Small and light are generally quicker up climbs, Larger and heavier are generally better on the flats.

I guess it is fairly realistic..... IRL I would never enter a hilly race as I would struggle.

Watching the bunch ride away from me while I was putting out close to 800 watts (briefly) was too much of a confidence knock...
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Richj wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Richj wrote:

I guess it is fairly realistic..... IRL I would never enter a hilly race as I would struggle.

Watching the bunch ride away from me while I was putting out close to 800 watts (briefly) was too much of a confidence knock...

I prefer races, and I often get spat out the back on a climb, but overtake some folks on the flat. I like it because that is realistic for me. Who cares if you come last (which I have been close to on a few occasions) at the end of the day it is a work out with motivation.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • You might have been unlucky - I was at the front of my race on Sunday by putting out nothing like the equivalent of that for the first minute or so before then having to hang on for another 40 minutes. There were plenty over 90kg in the C and D categories in that race.

It calculated a new FTP for me from the first 20 minutes of the race which is 9w higher than I'd got in a test, which says to me that I can make myself push way harder in the race than in a test. Makes it worth it for me.
  • I will stick to Zwift even for £13/m because it's the only app that motivate me to train indoor.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Daniel B wrote:
    ..... like some courses not being available on certain days, and people saying to change course they need to completely exit the app, and then log back in again?

Your correct that they have different courses on different days. Heres the schedule
    https://zwiftblog.com/schedule/

However, after you've done it once, the hack to ride whatever course you want is quite an easy thing to do before you open Zwift. Ive no idea why you would change course halfway through a ride?
    https://zwiftblog.com/world-tag/comment-page-1/
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cougie
    If you do hack it though there won't be many other riders there to chase or draft.
  • yes - zwift is fun simply because there are plenty of other riders also online at the same time. Try Bkool (lots of routes) and see if you like riding alone....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    One of the reasons I packed in Zwift and moved to Fulgaz was route choice, can see why people would choose zwift due to 'other' riders on the course at the same time, but the same 3 routes over and over again, was getting a bit boring, at least on Fulgaz I can try a mountain one day or a long flat scenic ride or a TT or any one of a couple of hundred rides.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cougie
    It's not three routes it's three maps with many different routes available on each.
  • cougie wrote:
    It's not three routes it's three maps with many different routes available on each.

Yes, but to be fair, Richmond is dull nad London gets dull pretty quickly, but if you are racing on it I don't think that matters. I use it quite a lot at the moment but can see that when I start training properly for next year I'll drop to doing just the races I really enjoy on Zwift and use one of the other options for training sessions.