Does anyone use a decent sized van in place of a car? (Bike transport)

12346»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Yes there are 5 seat options of the GTC out there as the rear seats have to be specced as an additonal option.

i did consider it, but I suspect it makes it less saleable, and it's not simply a case of buying the rear seats at a later date, as the mounting points won't be there as far as I am aware - at least in the pictures there is nothing in the floor that would suggest it could happen easily.

I nearly went for a 5 seater, as it is what we need, but in the end decided to stick with the 7 and whip out the rear two.

Length from tailgate to my front seat is something like 2.2m, and from the dropped seat to the ceiling is still over a metre in height.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Not really what we want. We want something that can take a pop top lid and the potential to become a camper / day van if we go that way but ideally still usable as our only daily vehicle.
  • JeemyW
    JeemyW Posts: 61
    Bongo?
  • Mostly they're too old now due to stopped production. Also, I've heard about issues with them that worry me. Been put off them a bit. Although my partner really likes the look of them especially the older ones. Doesn't like the more modern Japanese imports that look like they've had body kits put on. Kind of like the flashier vw body kits. Wants a simple, more old fashioned, rounded shape. I like a slightly angular shape but not Honda / Honda civic extreme angular shapes.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited October 2018
    Not really what we want. We want something that can take a pop top lid and the potential to become a camper / day van if we go that way but ideally still usable as our only daily vehicle.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/wellhouse-launches-campervan-based-on-ford-grand-tourneo

This is a qoute from a review that I now fully appreciate:
    But the crux of the matter is the other cars in this segment are nowhere near as nice to drive as this Ford.

It doesn’t feel like a converted van. It doesn’t sound like a converted van. It doesn’t drive like a converted van.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mostly they're too old now due to stopped production. Also, I've heard about issues with them that worry me. Been put off them a bit.
    Us owners only tell people the horror stories to keep the good vehicles for ourselves.

Mine's 18 years old and still passes it MOT without advisories. If you're aware what can go wrong and act to prevent it as best you can then they can go on for decades with few problems.
  • Saw a mint bongo recently. 75k miles for a 1997 version that starts up and sounds OK. Engine looks better than our 2008 seat car. Mint condition underneath with a clear waxoyl underneath.

Seen the guy's other two delica vans he's preparing for sale. Even in their as imported condition they look good. Need a valet and polish to get to the bongo standard but nice.

I'd like to see the oe bongo camper. From photos it's got original plastic packing on the stove and pop top lid. Very low mileage and kind of believable because it looks unused as a camper. I believe 4wd bongo campers made by mazda are quite rare. The price is £4k more for a year older bongo though.

The vans are all about 9k except the 12k 4wd camper seems expensive. Any bongo owners know any these things? Is that expensive for a mint mazda camper?
  • I've had my Ford Freda, identical to a Bongo bar the badges, for nine years so haven't been keeping up with prices but 9k for a mint vehicle from a dealer is probably about right.12k sounds good for a clean vehicle (with a pop top?), properly converted with hob and fridge, leisure battery and undersealed.

4wd means it's a diesel whereas the 2.0 and 2.6 V6 petrol, like what I got, are rwd. Diesels have always been popular as they have more torque for towing but you may have heard tales of blown head gaskets after coolant leaks, more common on the diesels. A low coolant alarm is a must to warn of any leaks and avoid expensive rebuilds.

The rear arches do rust so something to look out for. As mentioned in relation to other vehicles earlier in the thread, habitation causes a build up of moisture which collects in inner arches and sills and rots the non-galvinised steel from within. You can keep it at bay with the likes of Dinitrol products but my arches are starting to go so will get them replaced in the next couple of years with a lower respray as well.

There's an active Mazda Bongo group on Facebook that's worth keeping an eye on for advice and potential second hand vehicles and the website Bongofury has an active forum.
  • The point about the camper version is that it's a factory fitted conversion. As in built by mazda at the time it was built. I understand you can get similar from VW but pay a lot for that. Conversions by aftermarket convertors can be amateur but this is full mazda quality. IMHO it makes it a good deal for £12k.
  • Ah okay, my mistake.

The only factory options I've seen over the years are the factory kitchen pod in a standard vehicle or the GRP coachbuilt high top with full height rear door. I'd be interested to see pictures of this van.

What's paramount when buying a vehicle with a conversion is does it meet my needs, not only as a camper but possibly also as a people carrier or utility vehicle. £12k is a good price if the design works for you but an expensive folly if it doesn't.
  • Actually it's a decent setup. The first two rows of seats are identical to a standard bongo. The back row is replaced with a kitchen unit one side and a full sized but folding seat the other. A gap in the middle. The folding seat is like the Delica, Alphard and Elgrand ones at the back, certainly the delica ones. It folds flat then against the side of the van to create a decent gap for say bike.

The roof is a standard flip up type. Not sure if it flips up and rises a bit at the pivot side. Can't tell from photographs and not seen it. Looks good and still has the plastic from new that protected the fabric of the lid. That's supposed to be removed for use so it looks like it never got used for camping in.

The kitchen unit has all the usual, two gas rings, sink, two water containers (in a cupboard easily reached from just inside the rear boot lid), fridge / freezer (can turn off either the freezer function or fridge or both), second leisure battery, etc. The gas is a plug in can I think he said but wasn't paying attention since I was just looking at a scratch on the bongo on getting of us at the time. Immaculate van but he's used it after getting it market ready and I suspect a hedge branch scratched it as he passed another car on the local, narrow lanes. The one cosmetic flaw on the outside of the van!

The guy has been importing and settling 3 bongos and delica vans only and he hasn't a long history doing it. He's trying to create a name for high quality bongo and delica vans amongst the fans of those vans. So far his sales seem to be word of mouth and to people who really would be unlikely to spot him as they pass by. Other ends of the country. His sales style is one of knowledgeable or enthusiastic hobbyist in that he shows a passion for the two makes/models but knows a lot about them. Also pride in the vans and their condition. He comes across as someone getting the vans ready to his own standards as if he's the real customer. Obsessed with original spec features and setup. I bet he's a bongo owners club member.

BTW I've only looked at a delica low roof I need to look at a high roof because I can't sit upright without brushing my head / hair on the roof of a low roof version. A high roof adds the inch of so that's needed for it to fit me. I prefer the 4x4 option of a delica but suspect the bongo is a better size inside for me.
  • Sounds good.

Is this the type of factory kitchen unit?

https://igmaynard.co.uk/kitchen-conversions/
  • Could be. I've yet to see it other than photographs on a phone (the guy showed me them from his phone).

I think it's a top feed fridge/freezer but I thought he said 2 ring not 1. The seat does good to next to it like you can just make out in that photograph.

Tbh we're more looking for a day van use. Simple means to cook a simple one pot "camping food" meal if late off the hills and we don't want to drive straight home. Our son falls asleep sometimes of it's been a long or hard day for him. It means he misses a meal. A simple stove unit would solve that by feeding us all before the drive home. Camping would probably be in tents anyway.