Do I have good potential?

13»

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Webboo wrote:
    I went for a ride to day, stopped for a pea. Then going up the next hill managed to pull my foot out and go over the bars.
    However despite a bloody knee, ripped tights and a well painful shoulder I managed to ride home. Does this mean I have got potential as after watching the three grand tours the ability to carry on riding when injured seems to be what's required of a professional cyclist.
    What do you think?

Potentially heroic, some might say.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What impressed me most after my bravery, was how all the car drivers slowed down to go round my bike that was laying in the road. While I was sat on the verge winging, not one stopped to ask if I was ok.
    I like human beings.
  • Matthewfalle
    They are all shiiitt, aren't they?

Was out for a ride with a friend, his wife and another Doris a few weeks ago.

F's W came a cropper on some diesel, did herself a minor, I was sorting her out at the side of the road. Not one fekcker stopped to ask if she was ok.

And you wonder why I hate everyone.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    cougie wrote:
    reacher wrote:
    Maybe it's just me but riding on a bike indoors feels very differant to going out and trying to ride outside, if you do these numbers in that way are they going to be the same on the road ? While I'm at it can anyone tell me is a watt a watt ie, if you don't have accesss to power meters etc and you can ride a certain speed on the flat which in theory should give you a rough estimation of power will that transfer to going up an alpine climb Or are the two differant

Theoretically they're the same - I train by power inside and can race to what I'd expect it to be from the indoors

There may be variances if it's particularly hot indoors or the position is affecting your outputs. If you train and race on the same bike and power meter these won't matter.

Ok thanks, I was trying to get some idea of my level and I don't have a way to measure it other than riding on a flattish route and useing that as a guide, so if you can do x watts on a bike indoors or on a flat course those would be the same watts climbing roughly ?
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    No idea if you have good potential, but running and cycling are two different things. My brother is a runner, and can run a sub 2:30 marathon. He also cycles a bit, and took it up when he was injured due to running. If I am running, you should probably follow me because something is about to explode in a spectacular fashion (ie, I do not run unless I need to). However, when it comes to cycling, I'm faster and stronger than my brother.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Well with those times for 5K you don't have much potential as a runner. So you have nothing to lose by trying Cycling.

Fuck1ng hell. Savage.

truth hurts sometimes though!

majority of good (sub 15) 5K guys will be putting in 70+mpw. OP is nowhere near maxed to his potential at running.
    Injuries of the sort he's described usually come from trying to build up volume too quickly.
    It's worth seeking out a good club & coach to work with.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    And you wonder why I hate everyone.
    Is it because you're a miserable basket?
  • I'm sure I'll get some sarcastic responses but I've been lurking for the last several months and updating on this post from late last year.

I've been keeping up with the pretty intense indoor biking classes 3 to 4 hours a week with the exception of January when I got really busy with work and couldn't go as much. Also do 1 to 2 hours of running / soccer / random other stuff per week.

I'm now up to 290 watts average or a little over 4.0 power to weight for the 45 mins up from around 260 a few months ago. I can push about 315 for the ~10 min intervals and 260 for the "rest" intervals so more of the improvement has actually been on the ability to "recover" at higher watts than on the intervals themselves.

Now that its finally spring here where I live, I'm planning to go get a bike this weekend and try to enjoy riding outside
  • Matthewfalle
    Are you still slow at running?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hillrunner wrote:
    I'm planning to go get a bike this weekend and try to enjoy riding outside

That sounds novel
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    hillrunner wrote:

That sounds novel

Hope he hasn’t got his hopes up.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hillrunner wrote:

That sounds novel

I feel there could be a whole world of disappoint coming up
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Graphics are rubbish, go on zwift instead
  • Matthewfalle
    hillrunner wrote:

That sounds novel

I feel there could be a whole world of disappoint coming up

I think that you might be right. But at least he's trying. Very trying some might say.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.