Do I have good potential?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think racing is a season or two away. The guy doesn't even have a bike yet.
  • CptKernow wrote:
    I expect this guy was asking himself the same question a few years back....
    http://rustywoodscycling.com/

The difference being, in a 5k race that guy would be more than a mile ahead.
  • To the OP I'd say it shows reasonable potential to race at 2nd / 3rd cat level if you train, something that perhaps most people but not all have. Beyond that it really is hard to say, my 5k time was around 18 minutes and I ran for 2-3 years but it took around 9 months of 20-30 miles a week to go from reasonably fit non-runner to get down to that before repeated injuries stopped me going any further and got me into cycling. What you will find is it's easy to be seen as a "fast" runner as it's far more of a mass participation sport there are a lot of cyclists absolutely obsessed with training and while there may be fewer people racing those that are take it seriously, although of course never admitting they do more than a steady commute a couple of times a week.

Thanks this sounds like me. The only time I've completed a proper running training cycle uninjured I did a half marathon in 1:27 -- this was with a decent 1 year base of 20 to 30 miles and then a 10 week training cycle maxing out at 40 miles Every other time I've tried I get connective tissue injuries and have tried all of the stretching and strengthening. I'd love to be able to get through multiple training cycles to get closer to the limit of my potential and seems like maybe biking is the way to do that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    hillrunner wrote:
    To the OP I'd say it shows reasonable potential to race at 2nd / 3rd cat level if you train, something that perhaps most people but not all have. Beyond that it really is hard to say, my 5k time was around 18 minutes and I ran for 2-3 years but it took around 9 months of 20-30 miles a week to go from reasonably fit non-runner to get down to that before repeated injuries stopped me going any further and got me into cycling. What you will find is it's easy to be seen as a "fast" runner as it's far more of a mass participation sport there are a lot of cyclists absolutely obsessed with training and while there may be fewer people racing those that are take it seriously, although of course never admitting they do more than a steady commute a couple of times a week.

Thanks this sounds like me. The only time I've completed a proper running training cycle uninjured I did a half marathon in 1:27 -- this was with a decent 1 year base of 20 to 30 miles and then a 10 week training cycle maxing out at 40 miles Every other time I've tried I get connective tissue injuries and have tried all of the stretching and strengthening. I'd love to be able to get through multiple training cycles to get closer to the limit of my potential and seems like maybe biking is the way to do that.
    I have run faster than that having gone for a swim and ridden my bike first and as much as I thought I had great potential ahhhh it's easy to delude ones self.
    Just get a bike and ride it and you will have great adventures what ever happens.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't really think that you can rule someone out of being a decent rider based of running times. I doubt you've maxed out your potential due to injuries.

Probably most people could get to first cat if they wanted it enough to do the training and the racing.
  • webboo
    Have you tried.
  • Buy bike.

Ride bike.

Enjoy.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Webboo wrote:
    Well with those times for 5K you don't have much potential as a runner. So you have nothing to lose by trying Cycling.

Fuck1ng hell. Savage.

truth hurts sometimes though!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Well with those times for 5K you don't have much potential as a runner. So you have nothing to lose by trying Cycling.

Fuck1ng hell. Savage.

truth hurts sometimes though!

Perhaps, but funny!
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Depends what you mean by potential though. Potential to be 'good', potential to enjoy it, potential to be a sponsored athelete.

I'm not very good at cycling, but i freakin' love it most of the year. That's enough for me.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm naturally fast in a sprint but never been able to run very far. Plus I always found running extremely tedious. Nearly as boring as swimming up and down in a pool. Road cycling however I can do all day long, been that way since a teenager. But however hard I feel I'm pushing, I'm overtaken frequently by other cyclists. I suspect this means I'd be rubbish at racing. That and having turned 60, I don't like the sound of hitting the deck more often than is strictly necessary.

Sorry, what was the question??
  • cld531c
    I suspect the question was 'do you mind stroking my ego'?
    Answer - no, go on strava for that
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I would have thought that if the OP enjoyed cycling he would have already have purchased a bike by now.
    If he's only thinking of getting into cycling to prove a point (eg potential), then he'll probably move onto
    golf, or tennis, or snooker in the future (to prove potential).
  • cld531c
    Good point DeSisti

I suspect he (I am assuming he) wont be winning any Grand Tours so does potential really matter?
    You can enjoy something without being particularly good at it, and not enjoy something even if you excel at it.
    When did pastimes become so competitive?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    cld531c wrote:
    Good point DeSisti

I suspect he (I am assuming he) wont be winning any Grand Tours so does potential really matter?
    You can enjoy something without being particularly good at it, and not enjoy something even if you excel at it.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    cld531c wrote:
    Good point DeSisti

I agree to a point but that's not really the case for me. Part of the enjoyment of a sport/hobby for me is to get to a 'decent' level alongside the general enjoyment of participation. My obsessions with certain things goes hand in hand with a drive to get better, which adds to the enjoyment. It makes me happy and keeps me motivated when I'm not so keen. For instance, I've been mountain biking for years but plateaued at a reasonable level,with a concerted effort I enjoy seeing the gains from training into race results. That said I can have a dreadful race result and still thoroughly enjoy the weekend! I just think if I didn't have the goal of getting better I would lose interest quite soon. Not really about competing with anyone other than myself though
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's also quite nice to start a sport and be a bit rubbish at it and progress - that's very rewarding.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out. If you love it then I'm sure you'll improve a lot.

If you hate it then I doubt you'll be able to stick at it long enough even if you did have potential to win the Tour or whatever.
  • cld531c
    I suspect the OP doesnt want to train and improve, more get on a bike and give the Pros a run for their money!
  • hillrunner wrote:
    Within a few weeks I find myself averaging around 260 watts / 3.5x power to weight for a 45 minute intervals class
    Deciphering this suggests you weigh around 74 kg. Is that right? If so, your power is okay for your circumstances but does not promise a racing career in Belgium.

Maybe you will continue to respond well to training, or maybe you won’t and you’ll be like the majority of us and enjoy cycling without being the best in even your local riding group.

Winning flatish amateur bicycle races is more about technique (drafting, reading the wind and positioning yourself accordingly, knowing when to put the power down and when to hide, holding a line at 45 km/h a few inches from someone’s flailing pedals, etc.) than strength. Short of Lemond-level aerobic talent, you won’t win anything without loads of practice first.
  • cld531c wrote:
    I suspect the OP doesnt want to train and improve, more get on a bike and give the Pros a run for their money!

Boy oh boy is he in for one hell of a shock
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cld531c wrote:

Boy oh boy is he in for one hell of a shock

Well he can't be expecting much given his 5k times can he? I hope not at least.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    :-)
  • webboo
    I went for a ride to day, stopped for a pea. Then going up the next hill managed to pull my foot out and go over the bars.
    However despite a bloody knee, ripped tights and a well painful shoulder I managed to ride home. Does this mean I have got potential as after watching the three grand tours the ability to carry on riding when injured seems to be what's required of a professional cyclist.
    What do you think?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    I went for a ride to day, stopped for a pea.

Fresh or frozen?
  • webboo
    Towards the frozen, it was a bit nippy round here today.
  • cld531c
    I think you have great potential. Keep falling off and I’m sure the pro teams will take notice
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Maybe it's just me but riding on a bike indoors feels very differant to going out and trying to ride outside, if you do these numbers in that way are they going to be the same on the road ? While I'm at it can anyone tell me is a watt a watt ie, if you don't have accesss to power meters etc and you can ride a certain speed on the flat which in theory should give you a rough estimation of power will that transfer to going up an alpine climb Or are the two differant
  • webboo
    cld531c wrote:
    I think you have great potential. Keep falling off and I’m sure the pro teams will take notice
    According to the missus l'm starting make a habit of it.
  • cld531c
    Webboo wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    According to the missus l'm starting make a habit of it.

Then she should be excited at the thought that you may soon be a celebrity!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    reacher wrote:
    Maybe it's just me but riding on a bike indoors feels very differant to going out and trying to ride outside, if you do these numbers in that way are they going to be the same on the road ? While I'm at it can anyone tell me is a watt a watt ie, if you don't have accesss to power meters etc and you can ride a certain speed on the flat which in theory should give you a rough estimation of power will that transfer to going up an alpine climb Or are the two differant

Theoretically they're the same - I train by power inside and can race to what I'd expect it to be from the indoors

There may be variances if it's particularly hot indoors or the position is affecting your outputs. If you train and race on the same bike and power meter these won't matter.