Strava 'Posts'

124»

Comments

• Yes, the plug in will work. For now. If you use Chrome, not the app. But eventually it will become unsupported. And going back to Strava itself will all the worse for it.

Bottom line is a plug in is nice, but is never the answer. Strava should just get it's act together and listen to it's community. The community they're supposedly so proud off. no-one likes te update. Just have the balls to roll it back.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Is it a modern thing that we get a pretty nice service completely free and then moan about it?
  • phreak wrote:
    Is it a modern thing that we get a pretty nice service completely free and then moan about it?

Free? Oh poorly informed millennial consumer you.

a. Strava for a long time has been pushing Premium subscriptions with the argument of them not wanting to have advertising spoil the experience. The platform was to be about supporting the community. I'm a long time premium subscriber, so are many others. We pay.

b. Even if you're not a premium member. It's still not 'free'. As the internet saying goes: "If you're not paying for it; you're not the customer. You're the product." You pay with your data, which Strava sells (and there is no way to opt out) Check https://metro.strava.com
  • phreak wrote:

I don't get it free. I might go back to getting it free if I find I'm using it less, which I'm sure wasn't their aim.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I've found myself using it far less now. I used to find myself just having a glance at my dashboard to see what's been going on; I can't do that now, unless I scroll forever.

Using it less is not necessarily a bad thing for me, although I'm sure it wasn't their aim. :D
  • fat daddy wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    I wish they would highlight with a red flag when people call a ride 'leisurely', 'a bimble', 'potter' etc when it is about 0.1mph slower than their usual average speed. !

now I am guilty of this ..... my Leisurely rides are pretty much the same average speed as when I have gone out to smash things ... and have at times been quicker.

Turns out, when you cycle at a normal pace, I do actually average the same speed all around ..... however when I decide to hammer the crap out of a hill the subsequent recovery afterwards is somewheat slower than if I had just ridden the hill normally and had more energy at the top

No matter how much effort I put in, my average speeds are always pretty much the same !

Reads post, checks poster's username. Post checks out. :mrgreen:

I think you can only call it what it is if you track HR or power. Then you can clearly see if it was a leisure ride. The IF should be well under 90%. Probably 70% or less. If it is 90% or more, yeah, you were trying hard.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    fat daddy wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    I wish they would highlight with a red flag when people call a ride 'leisurely', 'a bimble', 'potter' etc when it is about 0.1mph slower than their usual average speed. !

now I am guilty of this ..... my Leisurely rides are pretty much the same average speed as when I have gone out to smash things ... and have at times been quicker.

Turns out, when you cycle at a normal pace, I do actually average the same speed all around ..... however when I decide to hammer the crap out of a hill the subsequent recovery afterwards is somewheat slower than if I had just ridden the hill normally and had more energy at the top

No matter how much effort I put in, my average speeds are always pretty much the same !

Reads post, checks poster's username. Post checks out. :mrgreen:

I think you can only call it what it is if you track HR or power. Then you can clearly see if it was a leisure ride. The IF should be well under 90%. Probably 70% or less. If it is 90% or more, yeah, you were trying hard.

I'm always trying hard, mostly 90% cool/hipster clothes and brands whether it's a leisure ride or not...

It strikes me that if you just use strava for cycling/training info and hate social media then the feed changing isn't a massive issue (Strava feed is social media). And if you like looking at everyone else's stuff from the social media side of things then you probably have enough time on your hands to scroll through everyone else's big rides to find the rubbish one they did today
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    It seems they'd rather you take photos on your ride or your followers mostly won't see your rides.

I like Strava, but I find the lack of any fun challenges to be pretty boring. 8000 meters climb a month, 100kms Fondo and 1250km a month are pretty easy to do unless you are really time crunched.

If they could add some exciting challenge like ride 100km in less than three hours, ride a double century etc it would be much more fun, even some of the things that Zwift does, but those are probably mostly vetoed on safety grounds. They have the Rapha festive 500, and that's about it. yawn.
  • I got a message back on twitter that they are "actively working on the size of the items in the feed, and will be experimenting with other options".
  • Looks like the age group bit has gone tits up now as well. I was 200 on a particular climb today but 180 in my age group 55-64. I feel sure that 180 of the 199 above me are not all 55-64 as looking at the names some of them are pro cyclists.
  • Martnw
    Martnw Posts: 27
    I will think this petition won't make a difference unless people stop using Strava
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Martnw wrote:
    I will think this petition won't make a difference unless people stop using Strava

I haven't used Strava yet this year.

Since 2012 I had used it daily, and, perhaps surprisingly, I haven't missed it at all.