Much Slower on my Winter bike ...why ?

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    kingrollo wrote:
    Fudgey wrote:
    Why? You are not trying hard enough?

For example yesterday on my lunch time blast i was on my posh bike - Colnago C60 with vision tri-max T35's
    15.5 miles in 47:04 so 19.8 mph average. It was quite windy.

Now today, i was on the winter bike - Colnago CX Zero alloy with vision trimax T25 wheels with mudguards.
    Exactly the same route in the same direction and it was windyerer and i was feeling it in the leggywegs...
    15.5 miles in 46:45 av speed of 20mph.

Not much in it but i was faster today.

Ill build up the holiday bike - Colnago AC-R, and repeat next week, see what that one can do lol.

not really sure of you're point.

I said I was slower on my winter bike. I wasn't seeking to say that everyone would be slower on there own winter bike.

Anyway I've booked in for a bike fit with AT

Absolutely no point to my reply what so ever.

I was simply extracting the Michael and letting everyone know i have 3 Colnago's.

But in all seriousness, do you ride your winter bike as hard as your best bike?

My example was not the best, but in my lunch break ill ride whatever bike weather dependant, but ill ride as hard as i can for that 45minsish
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    So you're using the same Garmin on both bikes. Over how many rides between the two bikes have you noticed this difference - and have the routes and weather conditions been same/similar in all cases? Is the variation the same as that which you might see between two different rides on the same bike over different days?

As I said previously - until the OP is actually able to validate this 2mph difference by addressing some of the issues above, it really isn't worth speculating. The fact that he sees questions like these as 'troublesome' or 'trolling' probably tells you all you need to know...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    So you're using the same Garmin on both bikes. Over how many rides between the two bikes have you noticed this difference - and have the routes and weather conditions been same/similar in all cases? Is the variation the same as that which you might see between two different rides on the same bike over different days?

As I said previously - until the OP is actually able to validate this 2mph difference by addressing some of the issues above, it really isn't worth speculating. The fact that he sees questions like these as 'troublesome' or 'trolling' probably tells you all you need to know...

Nothing of the sort. you just strike me as a bit of a tit.
  • kingrollo
    Fudgey wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Fudgey wrote:
    Why? You are not trying hard enough?

For example yesterday on my lunch time blast i was on my posh bike - Colnago C60 with vision tri-max T35's
    15.5 miles in 47:04 so 19.8 mph average. It was quite windy.

Now today, i was on the winter bike - Colnago CX Zero alloy with vision trimax T25 wheels with mudguards.
    Exactly the same route in the same direction and it was windyerer and i was feeling it in the leggywegs...
    15.5 miles in 46:45 av speed of 20mph.

Not much in it but i was faster today.

Ill build up the holiday bike - Colnago AC-R, and repeat next week, see what that one can do lol.

not really sure of you're point.

I said I was slower on my winter bike. I wasn't seeking to say that everyone would be slower on there own winter bike.

Anyway I've booked in for a bike fit with AT

Absolutely no point to my reply what so ever.

I was simply extracting the Michael and letting everyone know i have 3 Colnago's.

But in all seriousness, do you ride your winter bike as hard as your best bike?

My example was not the best, but in my lunch break ill ride whatever bike weather dependant, but ill ride as hard as i can for that 45minsish

No probs. I don't ride my winter bike as hard - Im sure that is a part of the problem....why don't I feel as efficient on the winter bike.
    Only 3 colnagos ? - there must be a recession coming !
  • imposter2.0
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

There you go again. So I'm a 'bit of a tit' for asking you to clarify your initial post. You'd clearly rather just hurl abuse than answer questions which would actually help you understand your issue. That's the very definition of stupidity, right there.

Any science-based approach to this would require someone to verify that speed difference before attempting to explain it. So, ironically, the more you avoid those fairly basic questions, the more of a 'tit' you look.
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

There you go again. So I'm a 'bit of a tit' for asking you to clarify your initial post. You'd clearly rather just hurl abuse than answer questions which would actually help you understand your issue. That's the very definition of stupidity, right there.

Any science-based approach to this would require someone to verify that speed difference before attempting to explain it. So, ironically, the more you avoid those fairly basic questions, the more of a 'tit' you look.

What I mean is your input (based on previous posts) adds zero value.

I don't want your advice on this topic or any other.
  • imposter2.0
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

**fingers in ears** la la la la la la la la :lol::lol::lol::lol:

On the strength of that reply, you don't deserve my advice - or anyone else's. The breath-taking levels of sheer ignorance you are demonstrating right now suggests you don't have the intelligence to understand it anyway.
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

**fingers in ears** la la la la la la la la :lol::lol::lol::lol:

On the strength of that reply, you don't deserve my advice - or anyone else's. The breath-taking levels of sheer ignorance you are demonstrating right now suggests you don't have the intelligence to understand it anyway.

I m just a bloke who enjoys riding bikes.

I fully accept I'm not intelligent enough to to understand or be worthy of your replies.
  • imposter2.0
    You're just a bloke who enjoys riding bikes and behaving like a petulant baby on the internet.

The biggest irony here is that if you'd put as much time into answering my (pretty basic) questions as you have into calling me a 'tit' and generally insulting me, we would have nailed this thread about two pages ago. You're absolutely spot-on about your own intelligence though...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    kingrollo wrote:
    ..... I don't ride my winter bike as hard - Im sure that is a part of the problem....
    Four pages in - and a fair bit of mud-slinging - and you now make the stunning revelation that you ride one bike harder than the other... FFS! :roll: :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Svetty wrote:
    Four pages in - and a fair bit of mud-slinging - and you now make the stunning revelation that you ride one bike harder than the other... FFS! :roll: :roll:

noooo, that wont be it ... my guess is the winter bike is not as aero :mrgreen:
  • kingrollo
    Svetty wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    ..... I don't ride my winter bike as hard - Im sure that is a part of the problem....

Yeah sorry My bad - what I meant was is that I feel I am able to generate more power on the Kuota. Im not a talented enough (or rich enough !) cyclist to be able to back this up with the use of a power meter.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    kingrollo wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Yeah sorry My bad - what I meant was is that I feel I am able to generate more power on the Kuota. Im not a talented enough (or rich enough !) cyclist to be able to back this up with the use of a power meter.

lol, this is turning into a classic thread for a multitude of reasons :D

I reckon your winter crown might be the cause of the difference.
    60cb32701ed1f134efdef1bf070763c4--king-rollo-crushes.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What about HRM - do you have one of those ?
  • imposter2.0
    If only there was some way of actually validating this supposed 'speed difference' in the first place....
  • Ultimately does it matter? If you're enjoying riding your winter bike and it's slower, does it matter? As long as it's not caused by a decline in your physical ability why care. If you go back on your "summer" bike and your speed is back up to what you expect don't worry be happy. Unless this is just a exercise in finding out why.

My 2p is it's probably extra weight(what is weight diff between bikes?), less efficient drive train and quite possibly less effort put in on winter bike due to thinking "it's my winter bike so must be slower".
  • I'm confused..
    So the OP has a bike that fits (summer bike) and a second bike that he is going to pay to have a fit?
    I still don't understand why you can't take the setup from one to the other? It's REALLY easy to do!
    Does the fitter have the measurements from the previous fit?
    If not it'll probably be set up exactly different to the first.
  • imposter2.0
    I think the OP just likes the attention, as he seems to have dismissed all the logical attempts to help him...
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Imposter wrote:
    reacher wrote:
    It's the chainset that's making the differance

You're going to have to explain that one...

I wouldn't want to bet money on it, but in my experiance a compact rides differently than a standard chainset or a semi compact, I don't have one on any of my bikes but their was one on a bike i bought which I tried before I took it off, I personally found it altered the way I rode, others will say its completely irrelevant as the ratios are the same.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    reacher wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    reacher wrote:

I wouldn't want to bet money on it, but in my experiance a compact rides differently than a standard chainset or a semi compact, I don't have one on any of my bikes but their was one on a bike i bought which I tried before I took it off, I personally found it altered the way I rode, others will say its completely irrelevant as the ratios are the same.
    I suspect it's down to the way that your expectations interact with the ratios and the way they present. If you are used to riding a standard you come to a compact with preconceived feelings about the range of gears on each ring, when to change at the front, etc. It's not completely irrelevant but a compact rides differently because you aren't used to it, not because of anything inherent about it.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    neeb wrote:
    reacher wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    reacher wrote:

I suspect it's down to the way that your expectations interact with the ratios and the way they present. If you are used to riding a standard you come to a compact with preconceived feelings about the range of gears on each ring, when to change at the front, etc. It's not completely irrelevant but a compact rides differently because you aren't used to it, not because of anything inherent about it.

a gear inch is a gear inch, if you can ride a 39x25 up a hill @ 80rpm, you can ride a 34x 21 up it too, you might be 79rpm but who is counting?

the OP s speed difference has to be reliably measured, as imposter correctly states but its prob down to clothing, weight and mental expectation?

Maybe a blind test if required and report back? :lol::lol::lol:
  • You ride the winter bike slowly without shame. That's it.
  • reacher
    personally felt that it makes you ride differantly depending on what type of terain, the same as using bigger gears on a cassette, eventually you will use those gears if their on their and unless you up the cadence you will ride slower , compacts are chain sets designed for very weak riders or to enable unfit people to climb, the temptation is to ride them like they are designed, which means using easier gears, human nature being what it is the easier route is the preferred one normally, its one possible answer to why you are riding slower, for sure the argument is that pros ride compacts on mountain stages but they use insane cadence on very steep gradients so it depends on what type of ride your doing i guess,
  • imposter2.0
    reacher wrote:
    compacts are chain sets designed for very weak riders or to enable unfit people to climb,

WTAF..? Did you understand nothing that mamba said earlier?
  • reacher
    Imposter wrote:
    reacher wrote:
    compacts are chain sets designed for very weak riders or to enable unfit people to climb,

WTAF..? Did you understand nothing that mamba said earlier?

sort of, like i said its what i found personally, yes a gear inch is a gear inch, i just feel the temptation is to ride easier gears, like i tried it out on several long uphill routes around 10ks long and still couldn't match my times on a standard chain set and i tried a few combinations of gears and cadence,
    i wouldn't argue if someone said that's rubbish, like i say its only what i found, same as i wouldn't choose a compact or a semi compact to ride on a undulating fairly flat route for the same reasons, even though for the most part i could replicate the gear ratios on all three combinations, over 40 ks flat out i'm faster on a standard chain set
  • reacher wrote:

What a crock of shit.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Im slower on my commute this time of year , as its pitch black on unlit lanes so im a little more cautious even with retina burning lights .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    reacher wrote:

What a crock of shoot.

:lol:

Nail/head
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • reacher
    reacher wrote:

What a crock of shoot.

that's one way of saying it, another way would be tell me the reason they were put on road bikes then that are sold to the general public ?
  • Right well broadly speaking they were introduced so a wider range of cyclists could ride a road bike without resorting to a triple chainring. So, you are correct in a way BUT the way you state it is that only those unfit or unable to climb should use them which is frankly ridiculous. Maybe you are pro standard but I find a compact set up perfect and let's be honest, how often are you spinning out a 50/11 combo?