Vuelta 2017:Stage 21: Arroyomolinos - Madrid 117.6KM *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Looks like Contador slips to 5th behind Wilco
    How did this happen? Contador dropped?
    Split in the peloton after 24th position (costing seven seconds). Contador was 26th, Kelderman 16th.

Froome's excuse, isn't it? Making sure he didn't accidentally get caught behind a three-minute split in the peloton.

I'd genuinely pay money to see the moment he explains that to QS...
  • RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Looks like Contador slips to 5th behind Wilco
    How did this happen? Contador dropped?
    Split in the peloton after 24th position (costing seven seconds). Contador was 26th, Kelderman 16th.

Froome's excuse, isn't it? Making sure he didn't accidentally get caught behind a three-minute split in the peloton.

Contador = Old school racer.
    Leader fighting for other jerseys = Old school racing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Froome's excuse, isn't it? Making sure he didn't accidentally get caught behind a three-minute split in the peloton.

He has nothing to explain. He wanted three jerseys, he got them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Did you see Trentin being interviewed? He said Froome had said he was going to sprint so fair play to him pulling it off. (He then added that the competition should be changed to favour stage wins more - a fair point)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    Something I've been reminded of by someone elsewhere.

On stage 3 Froome cheekily went for the bonus sprint to gain a few seconds (and four points). He won green by two points.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It would have been different if he was sprinting to take it off Trentin. It's more prize money for the team and another notch on his palmares. Why give it away?

Nice touch from the organisers with that double trophy for Froome. That's really nice.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    For those who are moaning about Froome defending the points jersey, are you happy that Vilella won the KoM competition? He was normally in the grupetto when the racing started in the mountains.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Did you see Trentin being interviewed? He said Froome had said he was going to sprint so fair play to him pulling it off. (He then added that the competition should be changed to favour stage wins more - a fair point)

Fair play to Trentin (I've not seen it yet - nursing an epic hangover from a friend's 40th last night and really, really couldn't face Kirby) - also, fair play to Froome for having a word with him beforehand to let him know, rather than letting it explode later.

I've seen an argument elsewhere with someone outraged that it didn't go to the most consistent rider, and then outlining what he thought the green jersey should be for. He basically described the white jersey. I doubt it'll improve his mood much to discover that his idea has been pre-emptively taken up and the green jersey accordingly awarded to one C Froome Esq.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    A pity Froomey didn't try a bit harder in the mountains, he could have done a Merckx!
  • Thanks for the company and the insights, best GT of the Year.
    IIRC early in the race it was suggested to CF that he could 'shed' the Red Jersey to another to ease the burden. His reply was to the effect that there were no gifts in this race. He kept his word today.
    'fool'
  • Bloody stupendous!! Really chuffed for Froomey, whatever the nay-sayers views, he is iconic.

Well done that man..
  • Trentin said: "Froome told me he wanted to defend the jersey but four stage wins and not the jersey is a joke. It is a pity but I can survive."

An argument that's obviously familiar....
  • I know there a lot of idiosyncrasies and oddities in the Pelton but if a fan expects a top rider to intentionally gift a jersey to a rival out of nothing more than the goodness of his heart they are living on the moon.

To be the top in any sport you have to be a stone cold killer. Donating a jersey won entirely fair and square is not compatible with this. It's not gentlemanly conduct or sportsmanship you are expecting but indifference at best and match fixing at worst. Stopping and waiting for mechanicals or misfortune I can get, ambivalence and patronisation no way.

Chapeau Froome, he has gone up in my estimation today. Old school rider and baller. If this was nibs or contador in their pomp claiming both jerseys the male half of continental Europe would be fainting from priapism. Great GT too. Once again the most entertaining by a distance
  • RichN95.
    Trentin said: "Froome told me he wanted to defend the jersey but four stage wins and not the jersey is a joke. It is a pity but I can survive."

An argument that's obviously familiar....
    Cavendish probably taught him it word for word.

As for Froome sprinting, no-one complained when Mollema sprinted for 9th place to nick the green jersey off Rodriguez in 2011.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    What an ambassador for the sport, what a fantastic achievement.

Honest guys we should all enjoy this moment, I'm not sure we'll see a British double GT winner again in our lifetime....

Chapeau.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    andyp wrote:
    For those who are moaning about Froome defending the points jersey, are you happy that Vilella won the KoM competition? He was normally in the grupetto when the racing started in the mountains.
    It's true that I was surprised that Froome went for the pints Jersey, but I don't see anyone moaning about it. I suppose it's what you'd expect from a guy who fed rabbits to his snake.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    inseine wrote:
    It's true that I was surprised that Froome went for the pints Jersey.

I recon even I could beat Froome at this one.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    It's true that I was surprised that Froome went for the pints Jersey.

I recon even I could beat Froome at this one.
    Lol. The jersey would have to be one of those shirts darts players wear.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    inseine wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    It's true that I was surprised that Froome went for the pints Jersey, but I don't see anyone moaning about it. I suppose it's what you'd expect from a guy who fed rabbits to his snake.

Don't think snakes are vegan.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    RichN95 wrote:

Sponsors of that jersey like having a name like Froome in it over Trentin I believe.