2017 worlds

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Alaphilippe 10th, which might suggest that the catch was made just before the race came into view for the static cams. Around the 1km mark.

I know folks say Sagan came from nowhere but he was positioned at the back of the Aussie train, behind Matthews, with around 1/2 a lap to go. Just not picked up by commentary.
  • Cracking race. Great views, lots of attacks, didn't know whether the final break was going to make it, then a great rider winning.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Enjoyed that in a Milan-Sanremo kind of way. Nothing happening for the first 6 hours but a great finish. Shame about the loss of pictures but the BBC comms team did a good job of filling (I dread to think what British Eurosport viewers were being subjected to).

The women's race was more animated but I'd say the men's race was ultimately more entertaining due to the finale.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Shipley wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I assume everyone will complaining how boring it is that the same rider wins three years in row or does that just happen in July?

The difference is that this race was exciting, and unpredictable.
    It was won from a bunch sprint by the favourite
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    You don't need to be defensive about Froome in races he's not even in.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    I was however quite wrong about it not being an MSR style race....
  • Shipley wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I assume everyone will complaining how boring it is that the same rider wins three years in row or does that just happen in July?

Well done Peter Sagan, and also for a great post race interview.

Err, no it wasn't.
    MSR type predicted and that's what we got.
    I was however quite wrong about it not being an MSR style race....

Oh ye of little faith. :wink: (although I would have preferred you to be right)

Gianni Moscon has been DQF'd for his team car shenanigans
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gianni Moscon has been DQF'd for his team car shenanigans

Didn't get the memo about the new president then?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    As Boardman said during the BBC coverage, that Sagan has won yet again is good for cycling because he's a character, not just a regular winner.
  • knedlicky
    The Belgies/ Dutchies made a right horlicks of that.
    The Russians had 3 riders in the first finishing bunch of two-dozen riders, so one might also say the same of them.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    RichN95 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It was won from a bunch sprint by the favourite

a nice touch to dedicate win to Michele Scarponi, another reason why he is popular and doesn't attract the wrath of fans, well usually!
  • knedlicky
    RichN95 wrote:
    Looking at the medal table - why are Sunweb Men German and Sunweb Women Dutch?
    Sunweb (men's) changed to a German licence (from a Netherlands one) when Alpecin became second sponsor to Giant at the beginning of 2015, Giant-Alpecin being the predecessor of Sunweb. The publicised reason was that its 'stars' were then the Germans Kittel and Degenkolb and that a main sponsor was a German company, so it all fitted.
    However, at the same time, Spekenbrink (the team manager) pledged to actively support/encourage cycling in Germany (Spekenbrink formed and I think still has a German U-23 team, Kämna being a product). So I imagine (although I don't know for sure) the real reason was that, in order to run a German U-23 team, it was necessary to have a German licence - certainly the DS of a team, and the associated doctors, mechanics, physios, and even team drivers would need one.

I think why the women's team stayed with a Netherlands licence (when Alpecin briefly entered sponsorship with them too) was because SMS Cycling B.V., the Dutch concern which owns both men's and women's teams (like Slipstream is the real owner of Cannondale), wanted to keep the original and definite Dutch connection. Also, the women's team have never had any (well-known) German riders who might have allowed greater Germany-orientated publicity for Alpecin.

In any case, both teams still have their HQ in the Netherlands.
  • knedlicky
    mamba80 wrote:
    a nice touch (by Sagan) to dedicate win to Michele Scarponi, another reason why he is popular and doesn't attract the wrath of fans, well usually!
    The Italian team car today had a photo of Scarponi on its rear window.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKe2SzXXoAAmPzk.jpg
  • knedlicky wrote:
    The Belgies/ Dutchies made a right horlicks of that.
    The Russians had 3 riders in the first finishing bunch of two-dozen riders, so one might also say the same of them.

Or one might not.

Unless you think Belkov, Saviskiy, Porsev, Chernetskii and Kuznetsov's palmares are on a par with Dumoulin, Mollema, Boom, Poels, Terpstra, or Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Wellens, Naesen, Benoot and Tuens.

I'll give you Zakarin.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    SAGAN-Peter158pp.jpg
    It is not easy. In the last kilometres, I said, ‘Guys, it’s already gone, it’s done.’ Guys were chasing in the front. In the end it came together for the sprint,” Sagan continued.

“You saw in the climb, we were already in two-three pieces. The guys from the back catch us, and after, we came into the finish. It just all happened in seconds. You cannot predict this.

“Maybe if someone stronger in the front, and they could have [won]. I have to say thank you to my team-mates and some friends in the group.”

In April, a truck driver struck and killed Astana rider Michele Scarponi while he trained on home roads in Italy to prepare for the Giro d’Italia.

“I want to dedicate this victory or this third World Championship title to Michele Scarponi, who should have had a birthday tomorrow,” Sagan said. “And to my wife, and we are expecting a baby. It’s a nice finish to the season, and I am very happy.”
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... oni-352456
  • RichN95.
    The last 4km as filmed from the helicopter: https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status ... 3927489539
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Cheers Rich.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    RichN95 wrote:
    The last 4km as filmed from the helicopter: https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status ... 3927489539

Cool!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited September 2017
    Pross wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Yeah Swift would definitely generally take it if it weren't for about 25 other riders. :P

And yet he was 5th? :?
    Was just teasing. I don't get the Ben Swift love. I made a post or thread about it a little while back.

He is supposedly always in the mix, but there are always 4-5 somewhat changing riders ahead of him. At least he has a strong fan club here. The Anna Kournikova of cycling. :P

But Pross, no offense man! I love you almost as much as you dudes love Swift! :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95 wrote:

Can't help but feel that if Alaphillipe hadn't attacked Moscon on the cobbled section and carried on working, the two of them might have made it.
    (Moscon then going on to win the sprint before being disqualified................

...................................... for beating a French rider.)
  • Moscon

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status ... 7427872768

Proof that Froome doped apparently.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95 wrote:

Cool to see thats.
    Looks like there was a group of 4 slightly ahead with 1.5km to go, but then 3 seem to sit up a little.

Was that when Sagan thought the race had gone, or earlier when alaphillipe went?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • RichN95 wrote:

Can't help but feel that if Alaphillipe hadn't attacked Moscon on the cobbled section and carried on working, the two of them might have made it.
    (Moscon then going on to win the sprint before being disqualified................

...................................... for beating a French rider.)

wow. imagine if that had happened. Moscon has had a great year, but that was a stupid thing to do.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Yeah Swift would definitely generally take it if it weren't for about 25 other riders. :P

And yet he was 5th? :?
    Was just teasing. I don't get the Ben Swift love. I made a post or thread about it a little while back.

He is supposedly always in the mix, but there are always 4-5 somewhat changing riders ahead of him. At least he has a strong fan club here. The Anna Kournikova of cycling. :P

But Pross, no offense man! I love you almost as much as you dudes love Swift! :wink:

I'm not really much of a fan to be honest. I just see a lot of people ridicule Swift as a sprinter. He certainly isn't successful as one but he's come close a few times at MSR and I was a bit surprised that no-one mentioned him as a possible while mentioning all the other similar riders.
  • RichN95.
    Markwb79 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Cool to see thats.
    Looks like there was a group of 4 slightly ahead with 1.5km to go, but then 3 seem to sit up a little.
    Two of them were Alaphilippe and Moscon though. And when Cort attacked them Gaviria made the mistake of expecting them to do the chasing.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Sagan's little acceleration past Matthews and Trentin just before the 2nd last corner was very astute.
  • Carlton was overcome at the end.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Carlton was overcome at the end.
    Again..... :lol::lol::lol:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Sagan's little acceleration past Matthews and Trentin just before the 2nd last corner was very astute.

Right onto Kristoff's wheel, perfect leadout!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Moscon

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status ... 7427872768

Proof that Froome doped apparently.
    Amusing how people seem to think the UCI president is the one watching the race looking for DQs...