Vuelta 2017:Stage 19: Caso. Parque Natural de Redes - Gijón 149.7KM *Spoilers*

Comments

• The energizer bunny goes again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Bertie having a go on the climb
  • RonB
    Looks like Spain have a 1:4 chance of that elusive win today
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2017
    LOL. 50 seconds taken in no time.
    Zakarin tried to go with him, but had no chance.
  • You've got to hand it to Bertie, he's giving the fans something to cheer. A good way to end :)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    pantano waiting is my guess?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Contador has 50s. Be interesting who decides to chase
  • contador what a rider
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    El Pistolero going out with a bang. Great stuff.

Not convinced turning yourself inside out the day before Angliru is a great idea mind, especially as I suspect he'll be today's Aru, at best.
  • One minute now.
    Going out with a big time bang.
  • Let me just say..

My man Bertie!!!
  • RonB
    pantano waiting is my guess?

He needs to stop and have a cuppa then or he'll run out of road :D
  • Jungels brings back the rest.
  • hahahahah and they said this would be a nothing stage
  • TheBigBean
    Contador connects with Theuns.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2017
    Mr Breakaway finally gets his GT stage for this year.
  • TheBigBean
    De Gendt won the sprint.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Great win for de Gendt, well deserved
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Yeah, can't begrudge him that, although I imagine most of Spain might say different :D
  • Given the amount of effort Contador has put into the race, post Andorra and especially in this last week, you would expect him to pay tomorrow.
    However, he'll probably launch on the second, first cat before Angry Lou.
  • TheBigBean
    Not sure why Sky are chasing. Good chance to make Kelderman and others sweat
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    De Gendt - FFS you were supposed to win tomorrow.
  • Bo Duke
    edited September 2017
    Blimey....... that was a bit of a damp squid.

So its all down to tomorrow...... Nibbles reckons he can break Froome for 1.40 odd.......?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    theuns
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He's said all along he'd need a minimum of ten minutes at the foot of the Angliru with no decent climbers in the break. That's a big risk, so take your chances when they come.

It was a shame for Garcia though, first GT and in with the chance of a stage win in your home town. That ain't gonna happen again.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Bo Duke wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_(explosive)

Often misheard as "damp squid",[9] the phrase "damp squib" has since come into general use to mean anything that fails to meet expectations.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    andyp wrote:
    He's said all along he'd need a minimum of ten minutes at the foot of the Angliru with no decent climbers in the break. That's a big risk, so take your chances when they come.

It was a shame for Garcia though, first GT and in with the chance of a stage win in your home town. That ain't gonna happen again.

Yeah, but stage win on the Stelvio, Ventoux, and in Gijon doesn't have the same symmetry or ring to it :P.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke wrote:

So its all down to tomorrow...... Nibbles reckons he can break Froome for 1.40 odd.......?
    Thansk cRozAa.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Given the amount of effort Contador has put into the race, post Andorra and especially in this last week, you would expect him to pay tomorrow.
    However, he'll probably launch on the second, first cat before Angry Lou.

Cycling news did it, too:

With two stages to go, and Saturday’s critical stage finish on the Angrilu to come, Froome leads Nibali by 1:37
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    hahahahah and they said this would be a nothing stage

And they were right in terms of GC, what happened? Contador closed in on an outside chance of the podium.

That said, he has really livened up the race to be fair even when most of his attacks have failed he's kept trying and got some success.