When does riding side by side become selfish?

animal72
animal72 Posts: 251
edited August 2017 in Road general
<braced for a shoeing>

Commuting home today, by motorbike, on a wide straight b-road.
Was forced almost to a halt by a bloke cycling in the outside wheel-tracks, swerving all over the place chatting to his (female) riding partner.

Little wonder we have a bad reputation with other road users.
Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.

Comments

• You get good cyclists you get bad cyclists, you get good drivers, you get bad drivers. And most get tarred with a very large brush. Fact is it's just people on transport. The mode make little difference and the dicks will remain so
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    The shoeing will come because it is perfectly legal.
    Why not simply overtake, or show some patience? Treat them as you would a tractor.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • animal72
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Why not simply overtake, or show some patience? Treat them as you would a tractor.

I know it's legal, and ride side by side regularly.
    I couldn't overtake as there were oncoming vehicles and not enough room for me to safely get past.

It would have been safer to ride between them due to the gargantuan gap, which was my point.

Mostly Steel.
  • pblakeney
    Animal72 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I know it's legal, and ride side by side regularly.
    I couldn't overtake as there were oncoming vehicles and not enough room for me to safely get past.

It would have been safer to ride between them due to the gargantuan gap, which was my point.
    Not all cyclists are comfortable cycling close together especially newbies.
    Assuming they were in the correct lane your correct option is to show patience.

Edit:- He was in the outside tracks? So the same width as a car/tractor. Can't see the problem.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Animal72 wrote:
    <braced for a shoeing>

Commuting home today, by motorbike, on a wide straight b-road.
    Was forced almost to a halt by a bloke cycling in the outside wheel-tracks, swerving all over the place chatting to his (female) riding partner.

Little wonder we have a bad reputation with other road users.

I've seen a few dicks on motorbikes. Are they a collective, should we associate you with the idiots speeding around the Derbyshire Dales every weekend.

I don't think 'we' are a 'we' at all and anyone referring to any group such as cyclists, drivers, motorbike riders, french people, black people as though they are all part of the same group and responsible for all vaguely similar people then they are an idiot who is not worth having much dialogue with.

You saw a guy on a bike not conforming to your ideal. Big deal, nothing to do with any other cyclist.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Pass on the verge with nun chucks flailing ala road rash.

http://www.sega-16.com/wp-content/uploa ... 8/4101.gif
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Fudgey wrote:
    Pass on the verge with nun chucks flailing ala road rage.

Ah nothing like retro video game violence to lighten the mood. I see carmageddon has seen a big resurgence in its following.

Or is that in too bad taste?
  • animal72
    Brakeless wrote:
    You saw a guy on a bike not conforming to your ideal. Big deal, nothing to do with any other cyclist.

Just wondering what "the collective" thought was OK and what wasn't, that's all.

P.S.
    I slowed down, waited, and passed on the opposite side of the road. No big deal.

Mostly Steel.
  • Brakeless
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Just wondering what "the collective" thought was OK and what wasn't, that's all.

P.S.
    I slowed down, waited, and passed on the opposite side of the road. No big deal.

So you didn't write 'Little wonder we have a bad reputation with other road users.' ?

That isn't' wondering what the collective thought is' at all.
  • pblakeney
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.
    Exactly.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fudgey
    Fudgey wrote:
    Pass on the verge with nun chucks flailing ala road rage.

Ah nothing like retro video game violence to lighten the mood. I see carmageddon has seen a big resurgence in its following.

Or is that in too bad taste?

Not at all. If someone is in the way make them fecking move.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Well you are going to get one 'collective' view that any inconvenience to you is plain old tough, that will be from people who will defend cyclists based on the slightest bit of information because they have a pre-disposed righteous agenda.

Then you'll get another view which will be more sensible, based around nobody actually knowing what the situation was really like but you. The latter won't have enough information to judge anything about the situation really.
  • animal72
    Brakeless wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

So you didn't write 'Little wonder we have a bad reputation with other road users.' ?

I personally thought it was poor road manners and wondered what others thought.

Now I'm wondering if you're trying to wind me up...

Mostly Steel.
  • Brakeless
    mfin wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Well you are going to get one 'collective' view that any inconvenience to you is plain old tough, that will be from people who will defend cyclists based on the slightest bit of information because they have a pre-disposed righteous agenda.

Then you'll get another view which will be more sensible, based around nobody actually knowing what the situation was really like but you. The latter won't have enough information to judge anything about the situation really.

Or maybe people will answer the OP based on the information they have been given. That's what happens on forums.
  • Brakeless
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Do you post on motoring forums when you see a bit of bad driving?
  • mfin
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Don't worry, your comment 'Little wonder we have a bad reputation with other road users' was fine to anyone with a brain. There are people riding in an inconsiderate way all over the country fuelling exactly that.

Those of us most aware of this try to make sure we ride as considerately as possible, but there are loads that don't act like this.
  • Brakeless
    mfin wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Don't worry, your comment 'Little wonder we have a bad reputation with other road users' was fine to anyone with a brain. There are people riding in an inconsiderate way all over the country fuelling exactly that.

Those of us most aware of this try to make sure we ride as considerately as possible, but there are loads that don't act like this.

Getting offensive doesn't really do you any favours.
  • mfin
    Brakeless wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Or maybe people will answer the OP based on the information they have been given. That's what happens on forums.

Get slightly arsey and defensive based on naff all you mean? People do that, and that's a predisposition to an "cyclists are always right mob mentality, and I'm a cyclist".

There's not enough info to comment really.
  • Brakeless
    mfin wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Animal72 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

P.S.

Get slightly arsey and defensive based on naff all you mean? People do that, and that's a predisposition to an "cyclists are always right mob mentality, and I'm a cyclist".

There's not enough info to comment really.

Where have I said the cyclist was behaving well?. You seem to have far more of an agenda than any other poster.
  • mfin
    edited August 2017
    Brakeless wrote:

An example of the kind of thing I mean. No information to go on, but defending cyclists with passion but no reason.

You don't really know anything of the situation, but you do know the guy found it potentially selfish of the cyclists. But by all means jump in and feel like the guy has an agenda just because you have one. :roll:
  • Brakeless
    mfin wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

An example of the kind of thing I mean. No information to go on, but defending cyclists with passion but no reason.

Where have I defended the cyclist ?
  • fudgey
    It seems we have failed to ask, what bike were you on?
  • animal72
    Fudgey wrote:
    It seems we have failed to ask, what bike were you on?

Me?

A BMW (Yes, I'm old)

Mostly Steel.
  • fudgey
    A BMW what?

Considering an S1000RR when the other half buys me out the house in the divorce.
    But even a touring bike is faster than a pair of cyclist's.
  • fudgey
    PS the S1000RR will do 217mph and ill find out ..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How long were you delayed ?
    We ride 2 up but single out when necessary.
    A peep Peep on the horn might have reminded the cyclists someone wanted to pass.
  • pblakeney
    Well played.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • animal72
    Fudgey wrote:
    A BMW what?

Considering an S1000RR when the other half buys me out the house in the divorce.
    But even a touring bike is faster than a pair of cyclist's.

K12S

I had an RR, in all honesty too fast for the road. Great fun if you don't get caught.

Mostly Steel.
  • animal72
    cougie wrote:
    How long were you delayed ?
    We ride 2 up but single out when necessary.
    A peep Peep on the horn might have reminded the cyclists someone wanted to pass.

Not long, but by "we" I assume you meant "I".

Mostly Steel.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I'm with mfin on this one

Getting self righteous in the perception of being 'in the right' doesn't really improve anything. Showing appreciation and consideration help people to work together and feel untied. Doesn't matter what mode of transport you use.

Unless you are actually there it's probably quite hard to pass a judgement with limited info.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift