Chain quick links or whatever you want to call them...

13»

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    You use Halfords? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Why not? They are fine for buying stuff when the price is right, then add the 10% BC discount.

The BC Discount is well worth having when you buy as much bike stuff as I do, if you add Quidco codes as well, and wait for the sale items to appear, they become an even better proposition. Cycle republic is the same story, and they tend to have a better range ( in store anyway).
  • My experience with quick links (KMC 10 speed) has been poor. After approximately 1000 miles on several different chains I heard a clicking noise while riding while pedal hard. I finally found it was because of the quick link. Measuring the chain the wear was in the .75 range except over the section containing the quick link which measured over 1. I will now only use, recommend a quick link for emergency use only.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Surely this is a troll (and quite an amusing one, to be fair).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,101
    Snowblind wrote:
    Surely this is a troll (and quite an amusing one, to be fair).

Fact is often stranger than fiction.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Snowblind wrote:
    Surely this is a troll (and quite an amusing one, to be fair).

If it helps you sleep at night, then why not, yeah.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    My experience with quick links (KMC 10 speed) has been poor. After approximately 1000 miles on several different chains I heard a clicking noise while riding while pedal hard. I finally found it was because of the quick link. Measuring the chain the wear was in the .75 range except over the section containing the quick link which measured over 1. I will now only use, recommend a quick link for emergency use only.

Thanks for that. I've been getting a click and it's been doing my head in - could be related to above.
  • pinno
    Dinyull wrote:
    My experience with quick links (KMC 10 speed) has been poor. After approximately 1000 miles on several different chains I heard a clicking noise while riding while pedal hard. I finally found it was because of the quick link. Measuring the chain the wear was in the .75 range except over the section containing the quick link which measured over 1. I will now only use, recommend a quick link for emergency use only.

Thanks for that. I've been getting a click and it's been doing my head in - could be related to above.

Try the Wipperman Connex quick link instead. They also do them in stainless steel.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pinno wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

Try the Wipperman Connex quick link instead. They also do them in stainless steel.

Do they sell them in Halfords?
  • pinno
    Get them from Ebeneezer's Emporium.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    So what?

Er this whole business about not needing tools is total bs, that's what.

I am so done with this thread. I didn't come here to be slagged off, accused of being someone I'm not, called a liar and have people criticise how I maintain my bikes when they know NOTHING about it.

Do you really think I''m going to like these things any better just because you try to bully me into it? Think again.

I've used quicklinks since 7 years, without ever using or needing a tool.
    (take my chain off the bike every 500 km, average 10000 km/year, so did it app. 140 times.....)
    Keep trying and maybe you'll master it before you're to old to ride a bike
    PS, alway used SRAM ones after a KMC one failed.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    Keezx wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    So what?

Er this whole business about not needing tools is total bs, that's what.

I am so done with this thread. I didn't come here to be slagged off, accused of being someone I'm not, called a liar and have people criticise how I maintain my bikes when they know NOTHING about it.

Do you really think I''m going to like these things any better just because you try to bully me into it? Think again.

I've used quicklinks since 7 years, without ever using or needing a tool.
    (take my chain off the bike every 500 km, average 10000 km/year, so did it app. 140 times.....)
    Keep trying and maybe you'll master it before you're to old to ride a bike
    PS, alway used SRAM ones after a KMC one failed.

To be fair it depends on the link - some are impossible to fit and remove by hand.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I'm with Keezx on this. I've used SRAM, Connex and KMC links for many years. I've never had one fail and have never used a special tool for fitting or removal. Here's a link to a simple removal method involving a tap with a small hammer or similar object - http://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/ ... 107050.pdf
  • pinno
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Here's a link to a simple removal method involving a tap with a small hammer...

Which is what I and others have said but hey ho, anyone's welcome to this party.

The OP has long gone.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I used the tap with a hammer for quite some time but in the end, for less than a tenner, I bought a removal tool - less phaff and saves me hitting things with the hammer ;)
    I've not had to remove a quicklink whilst on the road - only fit one (hence spare link or two in my saddlebag)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I did once have one of the KMC reusable 10 speed ones fail. Well, to be more accurate, one half fell apart while the chain was marinading in white spirit, back in the day when I could be @rsed to do it. Probably explained the clickety-click noises I'd been ignoring on the previous ride when standing on the pedals to get up a sharp incline after a level crossing; I think me and my testicles had a lucky escape there.

In defence of the aforementioned link, I suspect the failure was in part self-inflicted owing to my penny-pinching Yorkshire ways and reusing it when replacing the previously worn out chain. Why I thought the link should possess magical anti-wear properties, when the chain on which it had been used was obviously shagged I don't know. Maybe it was the realisation that Shimano chain plus a new KMC link each time wasn't as cheap as I'd first thought. That was back in the days before 11 speed had been invented, and 10 speed stuff was still reassuringly expensive. The KMC chains which include the link suddenly seemed a bargain. Then Decathlon started doing the links, clearly stamped KMC, at a fraction of the price... Oh the dilemma!

Now, happily, 10 speed stuff is old hat and more reasonably priced. My inner Yorkshireman is once more at peace.