Chain quick links or whatever you want to call them...

Comments

• bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    cooldad wrote:
    Screw it in? I thought you had to push it in. Then break off the head with pliers?

You screw it in with the chain tool. Something that takes seconds.
    Some marketing dept, and the whole world (except for some egg at Shimano) have deemed master links better, because they are.

Before narrow chains (9 and 10 speed) master links were the norm.

If you can't get them on or off easily, they are hardly "better" are they. You still need a chain tool anyway, so what's the point?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can. You can't. Subtle difference.

Same with pushing it in with a chain tool, or screwing it in. Not so subtle difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    You need to learn then, because if your out on a ride and the chain breaks their going to save you walking home, in fact I would say you need to sit down calm down and learn some of the basics of maintaining a bike both in a workshop and on the road
  • bungle73
    reacher wrote:
    You need to learn then, because if your out on a ride and the chain breaks their going to save you walking home, in fact I would say you need to sit down calm down and learn some of the basics of maintaining a bike both in a workshop and on the road

I've been maintaining my own bikes for 20 years................

I probably know a lot more about than a lot of people on this forum.

People on this forum are not very tolerant of those who are having problems, are they? In fact it borders on the condescending.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Bungle73 wrote:
    trailflow wrote:
    Invest in a set of these. They open and close the links

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Chain ... Swuq9ZaRqF
    They're too big to take on a ride unless I have bag with me. Joining pins are small.

This is workshop tool and should never be taken on the trip of it's life into the countryside :)

You can use the big ring, the crank arm and some leverage to close the link in the middle of nowhere but you already know that because it was said previously.

There is a technique involving a rock and a whack and careful placement of the quick link to split it without tools. So google that.

Try using or holding on to,or not loosing a Shimano joining pin on a dark wet night at freezing temperatures
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    lesfirth wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I've done it! I couldn't get it to pull it apart so it would lock. I still say the pins are far more user friendly.

And now I can get the wire thing to clip back onto the multi tool!

OK ,so use a f**king pin and your chain tool and stop wasting your time on this forum!

Thumbs up.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Bungle73 wrote:
    reacher wrote:

People on this forum are not very tolerant of those who are having problems, are they? In fact it borders on the condescending.

Lol, you won't be saying that when it's pissing down with rain and freezing cold and going dark come winter and your miles out, everything's easy to do in a workshop comparatively speaking, what are you going to do then, spend all night trying to figure out a way to get home or two minutes chain sorted and on your way
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    trailflow wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    trailflow wrote:
    Invest in a set of these. They open and close the links

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Chain ... Swuq9ZaRqF
    They're too big to take on a ride unless I have bag with me. Joining pins are small.

This is workshop tool and should never be taken on the trip of it's life into the countryside :)

You can use the big ring, the crank arm and some leverage to close the link in the middle of nowhere but you already know that because it was said previously.

There is a technique involving a rock and a whack and careful placement of the quick link to split it without tools. So google that.

Try using or holding on to,or not loosing a Shimano joining pin on a dark wet night at freezing temperatures
    I've used the rock and whack technique a few times substituting the rock for a large adjustable spanner, however this has been in the garage rather than on a dark,wet and windy night.
    Works well, however there are areas in the UK where finding a rock might be harder than finding your dropped Shimano joining pin.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Bungle73 wrote:

People on this forum are not very tolerant of those who are having problems, are they? In fact it borders on the condescending

Is that you Manc33?
    Were you banned and now back with a different nick?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,101
    Wipperman Connex quick links are slightly easier to use and get off .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wipperman-Con ... SwjvJZSQki

I used to use the Wipperman one's but what you are obviously not doing is making sure the front and rear plate is lined up simultaneously before attempting to slot it into position.
    Look closely at the quick link - it has chamfered edges and they need to slide into the groove in the pin in both plates of the quick link on both sides.
    To alleviate the tension on the chain from the rear mech spring, use a wire coat hanger or a spoke bent to allow you to fiddle with the link without needing a 3rd hand (which has been stated before).

Then you need to apply force either by pulling very hard, buying an unnecessary tool or (as has been said before), rotate the chain to the top between the cassette and the chainset and whilst applying the rear brake, press on the pedal.
    If you cannot get the chain around to the top without it falling apart, you haven't managed to get the chamfered edges into the groove sufficiently to hold it together. The tension of the rear mech spring should be enough to hold it in place whilst you rotate the pedal to bring it to the top between the cassette and the chainring.

If for no other reason aside form the broken chain away from home (which has only happened to me once in 33 years of regular pedalling - before the era of quick links), the quick link allows me to clean the transmission without too much fuss and faff.

Personally, to get the thing off, I put the link at the top of the chainring, overlapped and smack it with a heavy spanner.
    Yep, £450 Campag Carbon chainsets are built pretty strong.

Asleep yet?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Keezx wrote:
    Is that you Manc33?
    That was my first thought. Does the OP also believe the world is flat?
    I always use them and carry a spare in case of emergency. I've never had to use one whilst out myself but have twice got others going after they've broken a chain. Wonderful things.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Bungle73 wrote:

I've been maintaining my own bikes for 20 years................but can't master a simple task that my 10 year old can do :wink:

I probably know a lot more about than a lot of people on this forum.from the evidence we have from your posts in this thread that's probably not :lol:

People on this forum are not very tolerant of those who are having problems, are they? In fact it borders on the condescending.Especially when that person asks for help then decides everyone else is wrong and they're right despite evidence to the contrary

If this isn't a wind up...and it really must be....then I'd hate to see the state of the bikes the OP has spent 20 years "maintaining" :lol::lol:
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I had to deal with my first master/quick link the last couple of nights.
    Changing the groupset on my bike over and had to undo it. Don't have the tool and couldn't grasp how to do it with my hand so a pair of pliers came out to get it off.

Fitting the new one? Ridiculously easy.
    Chain off the chainrings to give loads of slack. Lined the pins up and pulled it tight. Then held the rear wheel and pushed on the pedals. Done.

For me, much easier then needing to get splitter etc.
  • bungle73
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I had to deal with my first master/quick link the last couple of nights.
    Changing the groupset on my bike over and had to undo it. Don't have the tool and couldn't grasp how to do it with my hand so a pair of pliers came out to get it off.

Fitting the new one? Ridiculously easy.
    Chain off the chainrings to give loads of slack. Lined the pins up and pulled it tight. Then held the rear wheel and pushed on the pedals. Done.

For me, much easier then needing to get splitter etc.

You need a chain tool anyway.....
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    So what?
  • bungle73
    Keezx wrote:
    So what?

Er this whole business about not needing tools is total bs, that's what.

I am so done with this thread. I didn't come here to be slagged off, accused of being someone I'm not, called a liar and have people criticise how I maintain my bikes when they know NOTHING about it.

Do you really think I''m going to like these things any better just because you try to bully me into it? Think again.
  • pinno
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    So what?

Er this whole business about not needing tools is total bs, that's what.

I am so done with this thread. I didn't come here to be slagged off, accused of being someone I'm not, called a liar and have people criticise how I maintain my bikes when they know NOTHING about it.

Do you really think I''m going to like these things any better just because you try to bully me into it? Think again.

All the banter aside, did you read any of the advice that was given?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have a chain that has three(3) quick links in it.

Only ever broken one chain, a shimano one. It fell off and a lorry drove over it.
  • Garry H wrote:

I have one with 114, yes one hundred and fourteen
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

Good thinking that. You never know what can happen, out on the road. What lube do you use?
  • Garry H wrote:
    What lube do you use?

Bit personal isn't it?

Durex Play Tingle Intimate Lube 50ml
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    20 years maintaining bikes. Knows more about bikes than any of us. Can't use a fkin quick link.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:
    What lube do you use?

Bit personal isn't it?

What about in winter?
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    What lube do you use?

Bit personal isn't it?

What about in winter?

Some stuff Pirelli make.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    To be fair to OP's OP, sometimes quick links are a bit stiff to get locked in. Still easier than faffing with a chain tool though.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Garry H wrote:

I have two questions, one would this work like a normal chain, and two how much would it cost?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... gIdqfD_BwE
    I keep one of these with me, it saves a lot of buggering about.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

I have two questions, one would this work like a normal chain, and two how much would it cost?
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Svetty wrote:
    You use Halfords? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Why not? They are fine for buying stuff when the price is right, then add the 10% BC discount.