Do Youngsters Spend too much ?

12346»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Garry H wrote:
    Did you know that if you stab a sheep in the stomach, the blade will come out a green colour?
    Garry, I would have thought that your experiences with 'stabbing' sheep would be slightly different in terms of where and what you used :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Did you know that if you stab a sheep in the stomach, the blade will come out a green colour?
    Garry, I would have thought that your experiences with 'stabbing' sheep would be slightly different in terms of where and what you used :P

In this instance, I was only a witness :wink:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    Garry H wrote:
    In this instance, I was only a witness :wink:

with a leg in each welly i bet
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Ryan_W wrote:
    I'm 32 and trying to buy in the SW boroughs of London.

Sad state when £600k gets you a tiny 2 bed terraced house.

Now account for a 10% deposit, stamp duty and legal fees, you need IRO £83k, and not having wealthy parents, where the f**k am I meant to pull that from?!

We're saving hard but property prices are going up faster than we can save.

Doesn't help paying extortionate rent, but needs must.

This sort of stuff blows my mind. I've lived in the South Wales valleys for the majority of my life & I'm buying a house there with my fiancee for £90k. It's not huge, but it's a 3 bed terraced house with a tidy sized garden a 30 minute drive from Cardiff town centre. We've got friends in London & similar areas who would need to pay at the very least £400k for a house like that :| genuinely don't know what we'd do if we needed to live near a bigger city for work/family reasons.

Also I definitely agree with someone who mentioned it earlier that having a house isn't the goal that it perhaps used to be. We were lucky (perhaps lucky is the wrong word as my fiancee inherited some money!) to be able to realistically afford the deposit + mortgage payments just using savings and her income. We could've bought a nicer house in a "better" area but we'd be spending that much more on it. As it is my income is just for whatever we want to do - be that bike stuff, holidays, meals out etc. We're lucky enough to be able to keep a roof over our head & food on our table using one income. In some parts of the UK that's a struggle with two!

As for spending more on other stuff - I'm not really sure. Obviously you can't really generalise these sort of things anyway but in our case our weekly food shop & things like that come to very little but if we go for a nice meal out it could easily be 100+. I do think we value different things to previous generations that I know, but then I don't think that really generalises. Plenty of people in my generation value things differently to me & plenty of people in older generations will agree :mrgreen:
  • mokshaj
    mokshaj Posts: 1
    For all too many of today's younger peeps, the goal is to have everything, now. Or at least to maintain the appearance of having everything now. Clearly, everyone except Ryan_W can see that if he was willing to live somewhere slightly below that which his impeccable standards demand, he could get on the property ladder and be far further along the road to his ideal home. But he isn't willing to do it. His complaint basically amounts to "I can't afford the things I want". That's without even considering the stupidity of such a complaint, when you admit to spending £20K on bikes in only 12 months.

{rolleyes}

Ryan_W must be trolling?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Sold a bike on Saturday, ca-chiiiiiiing.

Then the Mrs (to be) bought a wedding dress....

I'm genuinely not trolling, just p*ssed I can't but a house where I want.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Ryan_W wrote:

Neither can 95% of the population. I want a large house on the side of a private lake and easy access to quiet sunny country roads but hey ho.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Neither can 95% of the population. I want a large house on the side of a private lake and easy access to quiet sunny country roads but hey ho.

Somerset, or Scotland
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • MokshaJ wrote:
    For all too many of today's younger peeps, the goal is to have everything, now. Or at least to maintain the appearance of having everything now. Clearly, everyone except Ryan_W can see that if he was willing to live somewhere slightly below that which his impeccable standards demand, he could get on the property ladder and be far further along the road to his ideal home. But he isn't willing to do it. His complaint basically amounts to "I can't afford the things I want". That's without even considering the stupidity of such a complaint, when you admit to spending £20K on bikes in only 12 months.

{rolleyes}

Ryan_W must be trolling?

Welome to the forum, only £20k on bikes? Thats slack
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Somerset, or Scotland
    If you know of a large house for sale in Somerset with a private lake at £250k then PM me! :wink:
    Scotland? Sunny? :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • France then
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I do wonder what difference Brexit will make to the Brits with property abroad ? Will those holiday homes be quite so appealing ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Fenix wrote:
    I do wonder what difference Brexit will make to the Brits with property abroad ? Will those holiday homes be quite so appealing ?

They're already 20% more expensive.
  • Stevo_666
    Fenix wrote:

Or 20% more valuable if you already own one.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

If there is a market to buy it...
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

If there is a market to buy it...
    Lots of rich Europeans paid in Europesos?