Vuelta Podium Girls Change

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    iainf72 wrote:

Female professional mountain biker.

Who probably earns less than many women who do so based on their looks. Bet she ain’t at all bitter.

Wait, if I'm understanding that, the market has decided the girls are surplus to requirement. The same market that decides what Amanda gets paid.

If you're going to make a market based argument, at least think about it a bit first.

I’m not making it a market based argument. Maybe you are. I’m pointing out that we currently have a professional cyclist saying she thinks a girl who stands on a podium has no place being anywhere near her sport. Who the f@ck is she exactly to say who can do what?

The whole ridiculous thing to me is,If a girl was to be stood there in a bikini ( I know they aint but for arguments sake) there is this school of thought that a woman is being exploited and that men are just ogling her. But ifI go to a sunny beach I will see thousands of girls all in skimpy bikinis. They certainly are not good for swimming in compared to a proper swimming costume. So why? Because they WANT to be looked at, they WANT to show of their figures and how well tanned they are. They can stand on a beach and that’s ok but nowhere else. There is a whole bunch of hypocrites on here who are damning the practise of podium girls, walk on girls etc, or even the use of them to host charity functions. But I don’t remember hearing a God damn peep out of any of them on the subject previously. But then, they never had an angry rabble to join on the subject before. Yet they probably still do like to look at the girl on the beach i the bikini without giving it a second thought.

I'm not sure you've been paying attention. Plenty of people on this forum have maintained a consistent position on podium girls for as long as I've been here. We've been having this debate for several years at least. Welcome to the party, sorry you couldn't join us earlier.

As for why girls wear bikinis on the beach, helpful hint: they aren't doing it for you.
    Who the f@ck is Amanda Batty to say what should or should not go on in the sport she participates in... She's a professional mountain biker. It's her sport.

They were there in this sport long before she came along. So how does that qualify her as being more righteous in the subject? As for the bikini girls maybe they are not doing it for me personally but are you saying girls don’t like to look attractive to men? I would say the enormous fashion, cosmetic and perfume industries will say otherwise.

Ah yes, let's relegate the opinion of someone who actually races bikes for a living to below that of podium girls because, you know, podium girls have always been about and she's just a newbie interloper that doesn't have the qualifications to have an opinion.... We probably shouldn't even bother with the races, they're just a distraction from the main business, just skip straight to having a presentation of some pretty girls.

I think you also need to do some reading on women's body image, or even maybe even talk to some women about it. You appear to be wading in here with utterly unreconstructed misogyny.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72 wrote:

Female professional mountain biker.

Who probably earns less than many women who do so based on their looks. Bet she ain’t at all bitter.

Wait, if I'm understanding that, the market has decided the girls are surplus to requirement. The same market that decides what Amanda gets paid.

If you're going to make a market based argument, at least think about it a bit first.

I’m not making it a market based argument. Maybe you are. I’m pointing out that we currently have a professional cyclist saying she thinks a girl who stands on a podium has no place being anywhere near her sport. Who the f@ck is she exactly to say who can do what?

The whole ridiculous thing to me is,If a girl was to be stood there in a bikini ( I know they aint but for arguments sake) there is this school of thought that a woman is being exploited and that men are just ogling her. But ifI go to a sunny beach I will see thousands of girls all in skimpy bikinis. They certainly are not good for swimming in compared to a proper swimming costume. So why? Because they WANT to be looked at, they WANT to show of their figures and how well tanned they are. They can stand on a beach and that’s ok but nowhere else. There is a whole bunch of hypocrites on here who are damning the practise of podium girls, walk on girls etc, or even the use of them to host charity functions. But I don’t remember hearing a God damn peep out of any of them on the subject previously. But then, they never had an angry rabble to join on the subject before. Yet they probably still do like to look at the girl on the beach i the bikini without giving it a second thought.

I'm not sure you've been paying attention. Plenty of people on this forum have maintained a consistent position on podium girls for as long as I've been here. We've been having this debate for several years at least. Welcome to the party, sorry you couldn't join us earlier.

As for why girls wear bikinis on the beach, helpful hint: they aren't doing it for you.
    Who the f@ck is Amanda Batty to say what should or should not go on in the sport she participates in... She's a professional mountain biker. It's her sport.

They were there in this sport long before she came along. So how does that qualify her as being more righteous in the subject? As for the bikini girls maybe they are not doing it for me personally but are you saying girls don’t like to look attractive to men? I would say the enormous fashion, cosmetic and perfume industries will say otherwise.

Ah yes, let's relegate the opinion of someone who actually races bikes for a living to below that of podium girls because, you know, podium girls have always been about and she's just a newbie interloper that doesn't have the qualifications to have an opinion.... We probably shouldn't even bother with the races, they're just a distraction from the main business, just skip straight to having a presentation of some pretty girls.

I think you also need to do some reading on women's body image, or even maybe even talk to some women about it. You appear to be wading in here with utterly unreconstructed misogyny.

Hah. So because I don’t have an issue with podium girls etc, I’m a misogynist. What a self righteous prick you are. How about having a go at people on here who are quite appalled at how podium women are victims yet are still happily posting away in Big Girls Thread? How about that for hypocrisy?

As for women’s body image. People of both sexes want to look attractive to the opposite sex. This is human nature, it’s whats kept us going as a species for millennia. You need to take your head out of your @rse and think about what your saying . Get off your political-correctness soap box and spend a few minutes in the real world.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

Hah. So because I don’t have an issue with podium girls etc, I’m a misogynist. What a self righteous prick you are. How about having a go at people on here who are quite appalled at how podium women are victims yet are still happily posting away in Big Girls Thread? How about that for hypocrisy?

As for women’s body image. People of both sexes want to look attractive to the opposite sex. This is human nature, it’s whats kept us going as a species for millennia. You need to take your head out of your @rse and think about what your saying . Get off your political-correctness soap box and spend a few minutes in the real world.

I don't go anywhere near the Big Girls Thread, whatever that is, and have no idea who might be posting on it. I suggest you name and shame if you can find genuine examples of hypocrisy. It's nothing to do with me, and I'm not at home to Mr. Whataboutery.

You're misogynist because you completely write-off the opinion of a woman who is an actual professional bike racer as being irrelevant to a debate about what happens in professional bike racing, the sport she competes in and makes her living from. Obviously she should listen to men so she can have her opinions corrected. She's already been described as "bitter" above, with the explanation that she's probably not earning as much as the podium girls. I have absolutely no idea how a professional proponent of the sport could be bitter about such a thing if it were true (and it's at least halfway plausible).

And oooooh, I've been told to get off my "politically correct soapbox". Listening to what women say and think about the sports they compete in? Or about the male gaze and what it means to them? About body shaming, societal representations of beauty and self-image?

It's political correctness gone mad it is, so I tells ya. What next, giving them the vote? What, they have it already? Hell in a bloody handcart....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format

• Hah. So because I don’t have an issue with podium girls etc, I’m a misogynist. What a self righteous prick you are. How about having a go at people on here who are quite appalled at how podium women are victims yet are still happily posting away in Big Girls Thread? How about that for hypocrisy?

I don't go anywhere near the Big Girls Thread, whatever that is, and have no idea who might be posting on it. I suggest you name and shame if you can find genuine examples of hypocrisy. It's nothing to do with me, and I'm not at home to Mr. Whataboutery.

You're misogynist because you completely write-off the opinion of a woman who is an actual professional bike racer as being irrelevant to a debate about what happens in professional bike racing, the sport she competes in and makes her living from. Obviously she should listen to men so she can have her opinions corrected. She's already been described as "bitter" above, with the explanation that she's probably not earning as much as the podium girls. I have absolutely no idea how a professional proponent of the sport could be bitter about such a thing if it were true (and it's at least halfway plausible).

And oooooh, I've been told to get off my "politically correct soapbox". Listening to what women say and think about the sports they compete in? Or about the male gaze and what it means to them? About body shaming, societal representations of beauty and self-image?

It's political correctness gone mad it is, so I tells ya. What next, giving them the vote? What, they have it already? Hell in a bloody handcart....

1. I never said you go on that thread but there are others who have commented on here that do.

2. I’m not saying the cyclist doesn’t have a voice but hers is NOT the only one that should be listened to. Her sport or not.

3. You just go to show what a massive prick you really are. Tell me every women. Every single one is a victim of social expectations. Not a single one deliberately dresses or do their appearance to deliberately grab attention . You’re taking a cross section of society and applying it to everyone. All women are victims. All men who like to look at women are sexist misogynistic bigots. Get a life ffs.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    podium boys at the world cyclocross for women u23
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    You're misogynist because you completely write-off the opinion of a woman who is an actual professional bike racer as being irrelevant to a debate about what happens in professional bike racing, the sport she competes in and makes her living from.
    Just being the devil's advocate...
    Is it not equally misogynist to write off the careers of women without actually asking their opinion first?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    You're misogynist because you completely write-off the opinion of a woman who is an actual professional bike racer as being irrelevant to a debate about what happens in professional bike racing, the sport she competes in and makes her living from.
    Just being the devil's advocate...
    Is it not equally misogynist to write off the careers of women without actually asking their opinion first?

That’s kind of what I have said. Quite right though. Who is one person to be able to say something that effects the livelihood of another just because they take offence to it? If said female rider disagrees with podium girls then they shouldn’t have them at women’s MTB events. But does that give her the right to say ban them from men’s road racing? The only thing in common there is it’s a bike race. Nothing to do with her whatsoever. It’s not her sport there. She doesn’t compete in that arena. It is not as though these women are scantily clad. They dress quite soberly. It’s more they are being penalised for others finding them attractive. If we replaced all these women with just random people with no attention to looks or dress or sex then someone would still find something to complain about. They’re all young, or white, or straight, or have a certain upbringing and social background. Or anything else that may differentiate them from others. You will always find someone who wants to be outraged at something.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Well I'm disappointed. Given the title and it has ran to 13 pages already I was expecting spy shots of the podium girls getting changed. What a let down.

That should start some flaming and build momentum to the thread....

• Just a quick question. What exactly is YOUR position on podium girls? And why?
    I think the should have been got rid of years ago, for reasons that are blindingly obvious to anyone who isn’t a sexist idiot with a mindset that should be left back in the 1970’s.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    I predict a joyless future for men and women. Attractiveness of the opposite sex is pretty much paramount for all creatures, but we are better than that of course. :roll:
    For the record, this view is not sexist, females see males in the same way.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I can't decide if this thread has been hijacked by Snowflakes or the Taliban.
  • The fact some men can’t even see the differences between finding people attractive, a women wearing a bikini on the beech and women being paid to act as ornaments at a sporting event is somewhat depressing.

• Just a quick question. What exactly is YOUR position on podium girls? And why?
    I think the should have been got rid of years ago, for reasons that are blindingly obvious to anyone who isn’t a sexist idiot with a mindset that should be left back in the 1970’s.

Yet your quite happy to post comments in Big Girls Thread, you’re bit of a hypocrite in all reality

Yet your quite happy to post comments in Big Girls Thread, you’re bit of a hypocrite in all reality
    One comment. And not being able to see the difference between finding an individual attractive and having women paraded as ornaments at a sporting event is your intellectual failing, not mine.

One comment. And not being able to see the difference between finding an individual attractive and having women paraded as ornaments at a sporting event is your intellectual failing, not mine.

Doesn’t matter if you post once or a hundred times. You made a conscious effort to be there. No sign of you condemning the page or disagreeing with its content. Fact is you’re ready to call into question other people morals and yet you quite happily follow the crowd when it comes to looking at pics of scantily clad women. F@cking Hypocrite.
  • I used to watch American football as a kid. Even watched it live at a local British team at a teenager. Despite rampant hormones I didn't really care one jot about cheerleaders. I watched the sport, it was the interesting part. Scantily clad girls prancing around was about titillating pathetic men and I saw that even as a kid with the raging hormones of a teenager.

Another hypocrite. Another one who tries to make themselves look whiter than white yet happily post comments in Big Girls Thread.

Some people need to really think about what they post and then try to pretend to be outraged at a later date.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Just a quick question. What exactly is YOUR position on podium girls? And why?

Good spot. It does seem at odds with the sentiments he has expressed here. Indeed it's a thread dedicated entirely to the objectification of women, almost all of whom are young attractive and in a state of undress. It certainly looks like selective outrage. Perhaps he can illuminate us on why it isn't?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Bit late to this thread and tbh can't be arsed wading through 13 pages.
    I can certainly see the irony of the so called enlightened men on here pontificating on what is a suitable profession for a young woman. Not patronising at all lads.
    The only people qualified to make any judgement are the girls themselves, no one else. It is not slavery or prostitution, they are there of their own free will.
    If I were a podium girl and a competitor in any event complained that they found my presence demeaning etc, I would be telling them to wind their neck in. After all, all competitors are making the most of any physical edge they have, so why not podium girls.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Bit late to this thread and tbh can't be arsed wading through 13 pages.
    I can certainly see the irony of the so called enlightened men on here pontificating on what is a suitable profession for a young woman. Not patronising at all lads.
    The only people qualified to make any judgement are the girls themselves, no one else. It is not slavery or prostitution, they are there of their own free will.
    If I were a podium girl and a competitor in any event complained that they found my presence demeaning etc, I would be telling them to wind their neck in. After all, all competitors are making the most of any physical edge they have, so why not podium girls.

Another thing worth mentioning is the fact these girls work long days (another poster has covered this also already) for the corporate sponsors. You know the very same people who are paying the prize money to the very same women who are unhappy about podium girls but who also want paying as well as male cyclists. You can’t demand better rewards and then question where the money came from too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    A very good friend of mine does the corporate hostessing stuff for a major F1 team.

She's utterly gorgeous - ridiculously so, but carries it off in a "whatever" kinda way. Has the most lovely smile and laugh. No matter how bad your day within 30 seconds with her all is good. She has a Masters from Oxford, is trilingual (one of which is Cantonese) and loves the job - gets travel the world in luxury, living the corporate F1 lifestyle in between doing her day job that's she is sickeningly good at.

She's also ex RE.

Not all these ladies need the protective arm of the Pro Race gang methinks ......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    the-lovely-molson-dry-girls-wait-on-the-1
  • Matthewfalle
    Image not working dude.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    A very good friend of mine does the corporate hostessing stuff for a major F1 team.

She's utterly gorgeous - ridiculously so, but carries it off in a "whatever" kinda way. Has the most lovely smile and laugh. No matter how bad your day within 30 seconds with her all is good. She has a Masters from Oxford, is trilingual (one of which is Cantonese) and loves the job - gets travel the world in luxury, living the corporate F1 lifestyle in between doing her day job that's she is sickeningly good at.

She's also ex RE.

Not all these ladies need the protective arm of the Pro Race gang methinks ......
    Then she deserves the job on strength of her abilities... Sounds like she could get something filthily corporate on even more disgusting money for those qualifications.

Jobs where you need to be fit to get them are on the way out. They will not be around in a few years. If you're supporting special jobs for "hot" women, you are going to find yourself very quickly on the wrong side of history.
  • Matthewfalle
    bobmcstuff wrote:

She's also ex RE.

Then she deserves the job on strength of her abilities... Sounds like she could get something filthily corporate on even more disgusting money for those qualifications.

Jobs where you need to be fit to get them are on the way out. They will not be around in a few years. If you're supporting special jobs for "hot" women, you are going to find yourself very quickly on the wrong side of history.

She rejected the filthy corporate mammon lifestyle as she found a) she hated the work b)she found that men who preached feminist equality between the hours of 9-5 turned out to be the secret sleazes. Do as I say not as I do seemed to be their mantra.

She didn't get the job because she was - in your words - "fit" (is that allowable in the context of this thread or the sentiments detailed therein?) but because it is a laugh, she gets to travel the world, she doesn't need the money (although it does pay surprisingly well) and it lets her meet interesting people.

She was also bloody good at her previous job - one of the few I was happy to work with.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    bobmcstuff wrote:

She's also ex RE.

She deserves to do a job of her choosing, which it appears is what she has done.
    FA to do with anyone else.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Ballysmate wrote:
    She deserves to do a job of her choosing, which it appears is what she has done.
    FA to do with anyone else.
    No. She deserves to be told what a suitable job for a woman is by men. Do you really think her pretty little head is capable of understanding the reality of feminism? Of course it isn't.

(Sacrasm btw)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Matthewfalle
    all good intentions by the male sex aside, following all this broo ha ha theres going to be a lot of ladies struggling to pay their rent/mortgage having had their pay cheque cancelled overnight.

But I suppose there is a contingency plan in place, yah?

oh.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Think you're missing the point tbh.
  • Matthewfalle
    no, not really. think you lot may be to a certain extent though........

have a ponder about it in the context of certain posts and see what you come up with.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    any sign of that contingency plan?

De Sisti wrote: