TdF 2017: Stage 17 La Mure - Serre-Chevalier 183kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ...why does a man who can afford a Submariner* ride a bike which apparently only has Sora?

Maybe he blew all his money on a stupid watch?
    Watches hold their value though - hence the adverts in the first place.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ...why does a man who can afford a Submariner* ride a bike which apparently only has Sora?

I'd have spent £4k on a nice Carrera and £4k on a nice Bianchi.

You'd get a Carrera much cheaper than that at Halfords
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Watches hold their value though...

I like to think life isn't all about selling things after you've used them.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    /\ Tag Connected. £1,750.

Still leaves £7,250 to spend on bikes.
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Watches hold their value though - hence the adverts in the first place.
    True, a new Submariner is 9 or 10k, on watchfinder they seem to be around 8.5 depending on age and documents. A ridiculous amount to spend on a watch though - I'd be terrified of getting mugged.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    r0bh wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

My daughter's was less than £200. And she promptly attempted to drop someone (not me) on a Dogma on her first proper ride out on it. Failed totally, but good to see her instinctively understanding how these things work!

Serious question though, is there an investment market in vintage bikes, or is that not yet a thing?
  • bobmcstuff
    r0bh wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

My daughter's was less than £200. And she promptly attempted to drop someone (not me) on a Dogma on her first proper ride out on it. Failed totally, but good to see her instinctively understanding how these things work!

Serious question though, is there an investment market in vintage bikes, or is that not yet a thing?

Yes to an extent - if you own a cheap early 80s steel bike you can sell it to a hipster for a few hundred quid.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yes to an extent - if you own a cheap early 80s steel bike you can sell it to a hipster for a few hundred quid.

There are some silly amounts of money being exchanged for the right early 90s mountain bikes (original Kleins and Fat Chances with the right paint job). Equally silly amounts are being paid to frame painters who can replicate the right paint jobs on restored frames.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

There are some silly amounts of money being exchanged for the right early 90s mountain bikes (original Kleins and Fat Chances with the right paint job). Equally silly amounts are being paid to frame painters who can replicate the right paint jobs on restored frames.

Ahhhhh those Kleins were a thing of beauty
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Have I pointed out this is a great route?

No. Just no.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Above The Cows is getting desperate with the stalking...

3edac6753726daba168cff8446521c22.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 2017
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

No. Just no.

This house believes there's been more racing in this Tour than the last 5 combined
    This stage is a classic Sky stage. Not much trouble early on - let the right break go. Kiryienka to take them up the first climb, maybe some help needed. Then Henao, Nieve & Kwiatkowski string it out. Landa puts everyone in the red and Froome rides off with 4km to go. He gets a gap and the podium guys start looking at each other. Landa tags on the back of them, and takes a bit of time at the end.

This quote sums up what the route has eliminated this year.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

No. Just no.

This house believes there's been more racing in this Tour than the last 5 combined.

Flat easy course flatters GC with gaps that seem smaller than they are.

It's easy to have all the GC riders relatively close when the course isn't selective enough.

It's ok in spite of the route because Chris is nowhere near as good as ususal.
  • rick_chasey
    About 70% of the Gc excitement has come from either crashes or mechanicals.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it so many people dislike(d) Matthews?
    Yer, well, something or other and er, yer or yer and er, yer like, yer, well, yer

:) I think Matthews needs some practice before he becomes a commentator ;)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    The only way I could start to contemplate this being an exciting tour is to have the first eight stages wiped from my memory, but even then......

The GC battle, has been mostly crashes and mechanicals, as Rick says, plus a lot of this.

BGB%2BManny%2BPacquiao%2BFake%2BPunch%2BGIF.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Still fairly sure the most selective stage GC favourites wise was a 14km TT.

I mean, sheesh.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Above The Cows is getting desperate with the stalking...

3edac6753726daba168cff8446521c22.jpg

I. Am. Crying. :lol::lol::lol:

I'd totally fit* in that too.

*Well maybe not today as one leg is twice the size of the other after my duck fight.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Seems almost churlish/ silly to say, with the top 3 separated by 27 seconds - but it's never really got going....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    okgo wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Does the performance of Uran and Aru over the last couple of weeks give the lie to how important teams are? Or does it give legitimacy to the accusation that Froome is nothing without the class of superstars he has around him?

Who has made that accusation? Presumably only a total idiot.
    Not me (despite raising the point). But its a common theme that Froome is only where he is because of the support of his team. And that contrasts with the effectively solo efforts of Uran and Aru over the last couple of weeks. Surely there is at least an acknowledgement that for Uran in particular to be in the position he is in without the size of support that Froome has had, makes his a very impressive Tour so far, arguably more impressive than Froome who is only really leading Uran due to the single better performance on the TT.

I'm a Froome fan btw, not looking to troll his achievements or performance this year. But credit where its due, Uran's had to ride this one more or less by himself.

Uran has picked up net 10s bonus seconds compared to Froome (Froome has had 8, Uran 18), he lost 51s to Froome on the TT but has gained net 14s on the road (lost 6s on stage 5 - Belle Filles, gained 20s on stage 12 - Peyragudes). He's not been "let off the leash" to pick up time, he's earned it by generally riding with Froome's group and finishing strongly. All without a full team around him, contrasting with Froome.

I know its impossible to really say how Froome "might" have ridden without his team, or "might" have ridden if he wasn't protecting yellow etc, but credit to Uran for a great solo ride so far is basically what I'm saying!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    larkim wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Does the performance of Uran and Aru over the last couple of weeks give the lie to how important teams are? Or does it give legitimacy to the accusation that Froome is nothing without the class of superstars he has around him?

Who has made that accusation? Presumably only a total idiot.
    Not me (despite raising the point). But its a common theme that Froome is only where he is because of the support of his team. And that contrasts with the effectively solo efforts of Uran and Aru over the last couple of weeks. Surely there is at least an acknowledgement that for Uran in particular to be in the position he is in without the size of support that Froome has had, makes his a very impressive Tour so far, arguably more impressive than Froome who is only really leading Uran due to the single better performance on the TT.

I'm a Froome fan btw, not looking to troll his achievements or performance this year. But credit where its due, Uran's had to ride this one more or less by himself.

Uran has picked up net 10s bonus seconds compared to Froome (Froome has had 8, Uran 18), he lost 51s to Froome on the TT but has gained net 14s on the road (lost 6s on stage 5 - Belle Filles, gained 20s on stage 12 - Peyragudes). He's not been "let off the leash" to pick up time, he's earned it by generally riding with Froome's group and finishing strongly. All without a full team around him, contrasting with Froome.

I know its impossible to really say how Froome "might" have ridden without his team, or "might" have ridden if he wasn't protecting yellow etc, but credit to Uran for a great solo ride so far is basically what I'm saying!

I don't think the team really matters if your going for a podium in a race where the favourite is the best tt rider and there's a tt at the end. For aru or uran to win they would need a strong team as they need to make time outside of the tt. As it is they can just try to follow Froome as he hasn't really attacked, because he doesn't need to. If Froome needed to attack the race would suddenly open up and having a team would help greatly.

Just look at what a shambles it was for Aru on his day in yellow to see how important a team is if you're leading.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Armstrong used to say that so win the Tour you needed to do two great time trials and one great mountain top finish. So far we've only seen the first time trial. Today is the mountain
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    If you don't need to lead by much going into the final TT, and you are one of the best climbers, then a team that can keep the pace high up the climbs and stop anyone else getting away is an advantage. If Bardet or Uran were expected to be a minute better than Froome on the TT instead of vv, how would Sky have ridden it differently, given they seem to be as good as Froome on the climbs?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    If you don't need to lead by much going into the final TT, and you are one of the best climbers, then a team that can keep the pace high up the climbs and stop anyone else getting away is an advantage. If Bardet or Uran were expected to be a minute better than Froome on the TT instead of vv, how would Sky have ridden it differently, given they seem to be as good as Froome on the climbs?

Theres not really been much for Froome to gain on the climbs so far due to the descending afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick an enormous amount of time in to them all today. On the other hand he may leave it until late as he doesn't need to take the risk. Or he may not be able to. I suspect he's been holding back though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I can't see Froome doing anything much other than defending today, unless he sees Uran struggling or has really, really good legs. I expect him to use the team to claw back the inevitable attacks early on, but to follow himself when something goes later - he'll basically use the others' attacks to hitch a ride if a challenger can be put out of the race. Couple of KM to go he may have a dig on his own, especially if he's got away with one or two others.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Or if, say, Dumoulin had been on form and in the race?
  • bobmcstuff
    DeadCalm wrote:

Would have been very cool to see what Dumoulin in his Giro form would have been able to do in this tour.

Would have meant sacrificing Matthews and/or Barguil's ambitions though.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    DeadCalm wrote:

Quite - how would Sky have ridden it to distance Dumoulin on climbs?
  • rick_chasey
    DFPxYEdXoAAgspb?format=jpg&name=large