TdF 2017: Stage 17 La Mure - Serre-Chevalier 183kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    froome better attack uran tomos because he can time trial like a god. We might end up with a down to the wire finish :)

Nicolas Portal said that Sky wanted a minute gap on Uran going into the TT "just in case" - they expected Froome to beat all other GC contenders but felt that Uran had potential to pull a real performance out of the bag

NB Froome was 50 sec or so quicker than Uran in Duseldorf
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Uran can pull out a good TT performance but his form this year against the clock has been pretty awful.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Uran's finished ahead of Froome on the road (albeit by tiny margins) in every head to head so far this year. This could go all the way to the end if Izoard isn't decisive.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Slowbike wrote:
    The adverts and David Millar were the reasons I couldn't deal with the ITV4 coverage.

I would hit mute - but I can't sit here watching it - so the audio is an attention grabber...
    Haven't got Eurosport ... don't really want to pay for it either ..

£20 for the whole year on an offer in January was money well spent. They might do it again next year.
    Out of the frying pan and into the fire though, Kirby is godawful.

Was reduced to Eurosport today (ipad only) and had to put up with Kirbys utter shite while I was assembling flatpack furniture. He just alternates between shouting at motos and people waving flags on every single climb.

At least Millar can recognise more than three riders.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    There must be a decent non-doper who can recognise some riders though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Boulting and Millar are superb IMO. Really wish they would coverorw than just the tour. Would be great to have them for the Classics.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

totally this
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Virenque into the top ten
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Vino'sGhost
    imatfaal wrote:
    froome better attack uran tomos because he can time trial like a god. We might end up with a down to the wire finish :)

Nicolas Portal said that Sky wanted a minute gap on Uran going into the TT "just in case" - they expected Froome to beat all other GC contenders but felt that Uran had potential to pull a real performance out of the bag

Would certainly be a turn up if cannondale won the tour :)
  • imatfaal wrote:

Not sure the rest of the Cannondale team can legitimately claim much credit if Uran wins. :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    The adverts and David Millar were the reasons I couldn't deal with the ITV4 coverage.

I would hit mute - but I can't sit here watching it - so the audio is an attention grabber...
    Haven't got Eurosport ... don't really want to pay for it either ..

£20 for the whole year on an offer in January was money well spent. They might do it again next year.
    Out of the frying pan and into the fire though, Kirby is godawful.

Was reduced to Eurosport today (ipad only) and had to put up with Kirbys utter shite while I was assembling flatpack furniture. He just alternates between shouting at motos and people waving flags on every single climb.

At least Millar can recognise more than three riders.

This is where José Been is galaxies ahead of Kirby.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Does the performance of Uran and Aru over the last couple of weeks give the lie to how important teams are? Or does it give legitimacy to the accusation that Froome is nothing without the class of superstars he has around him?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ddraver wrote:
    Boulting and Millar are superb IMO. Really wish they would coverorw than just the tour. Would be great to have them for the Classics.
    Totally agree with this. Must be a tough job and I can't really image how you'd do it better. Plus on ITV4 you get Boardman (my alltime favorite cyclist and famous non doper for all the moaners)
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    SurDave gets the chop.

#barriergate
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    hypster wrote:
    Sky to steadily ramp up the pressure on the Galibier with Froome lauching an attack some way from the top. Bardet and Uran go with him and they all put time into Aru by the finish.

Looks like I called it pretty close. Shame about Dan Martin but he did a lot better than I feared.

I must say I'm not a fan of Uran's tactics and I thought he and Bardet should have pressed home their advantage a bit more when they dropped Aru two or three times on the Galibier and then slowed down and let him back on. Landa did well as well to finish in that group after getting dropped and showed that he is helping Froome (whilst still preserving his ambitions). Doing a Valverde maybe? :wink:

Froome also seems to be cutting things a little close I think but he did look strong today.

Still, tomorrow's another day...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    larkim wrote:
    Does the performance of Uran and Aru over the last couple of weeks give the lie to how important teams are? Or does it give legitimacy to the accusation that Froome is nothing without the class of superstars he has around him?

Who has made that accusation? Presumably only a total idiot.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think Froome is saving his attacking for tomorrow - he didn't put one dig in today. There will be more barriered off from the crowds and it's a MTF. Today wasn't really suitable for a solo attack, groups had the advantage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Vino'sGhost
    imatfaal wrote:

Not sure the rest of the Cannondale team can legitimately claim much credit if Uran wins. :lol:

lol im sure theyll be happy to have their share of the prize money and the parade into Paris. anyway thats my prefered option now. its been a great tour so far
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Slovenia's first ever stage winner

ChcKfOHWIAATr31.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    I see Henao rolled in with the bus.
    Would have been better off bringing little Pete.

Pierre Latour in the bus, too, which is a surprise.

Froome's thanking his awesome team speech is really wearing thin.
    He's happy going into the TT with the current gaps
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

At least they are wholly deserving of his thanks. I cringe when sprinters thank their teams just because it's the done thing.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    See I don't really care about that for commentating. I also suspect finding good ex cyclists from that era who also make good commentators but who were also 100% clean (lol) is going to be a very small pool of candidates.

Presumably we should also stop Roche and Kelly commentating too if we're going down that route?
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    I see Henao rolled in with the bus.
    Would have been better off bringing little Pete.

Pierre Latour in the bus, too, which is a surprise.

Pete K or Poels on form would have made a big difference. I thought Sky might be saving Henao for this week - seems not. Kwiato has been awesome - makes you wonder if he could contend in a GT...?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    The ought to swap the train order and keep flower power for last man to Landa.

Anyhows

ezgif-1-04f5fce543.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    gsk82 wrote:

At least they are wholly deserving of his thanks. I cringe when sprinters thank their teams just because it's the done thing.

Damn right, like that Cav tw*t.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    mfin wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Damn right, like that Cav tw*t.

Jesus, can we not even have a third week mountain stage, in a tour Cav has gone out of in the first week, without this stuff? We know you don't like him, no need to be so in your face about it everywhere.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Have I told you I miss LRP?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Have I pointed out this is a great route?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Have I pointed out this is a great route?

Pfffft. I called it when it was first announced an everyone was saying they wouldn't even bother watching [/hipster]

Still need a couple of sprint stages to be swapped out for some nice middle mountains tho, like.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Brexit

20157553_1385123268203715_1710112918205047906_o.jpg?oh=6b8f292a222c44229ea08e3e9b064091&oe=59F36EB4