TDF 2017:18th July - Stage 16 - Le Puy-en-Velay - Romans-sur-Isère165kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited July 2017
    Mathews?! If so, keeps the Kidl challenge alive to nick green jersey.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    I thought Matthews, but could be any of them
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Is this a 1 second gap day?

Who knows? It's a semi mountain stage for green.

EBH pipped again, Dan loses 50 seconds.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Matthews according to website
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    I reckon the Dan Martin group will get back

33 seconds in 5km against that group? Don't think so.

May have been hope rather than logic :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    EBH would've had that easily if he hadn't lost so much ground on the final corners.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Not a big fan of Matthews, but he and Sunweb are giving this Green Jersey comp a proper go. Fantastic racing.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Bling Bling, Win Win.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Now watch the race jury screw over the green jersey competition. :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Matthews by a wheel
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Poor positioning from EBH. Degenkolb not happy but didn't seem anything wrong with Matthews sprint.

Good battle for green now, shame that the weird rules deemed it a semi mountain stage and only 30 points for the win.
  • kingstongraham
    Amazing all day by Sunweb.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I part wanted EBH to get that and part wanted Matthews to get that because of the Green Jersey comp.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    edited July 2017
    Got to love Matthews in this race. Livened it up no end.

Sunweb with Barguil too. Geschke seems to be up front quite consistently.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Yates moves up one spot in the GC. Ahead of Martin by 1s.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    I'd given up on EBH from 200m out as he was so far back. Amazed he got so close and gutted for him. Well played Sunweb, perfect day for them. Gutted for Martin too.
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Pross wrote:
    This is a good example of how Martin is not a true GC contender. Brilliant single stage winner but a bit of a one trick pony in terms of winning on finishing ramps that aren't proper MTF. Not even close to a top division GC Tter either. Feel for him as he has had bad luck but I really think if he has serious GT GC ambitions he needs to target the Vuelta and move to a team to suit.

He had no team to help him all day.
    Yup hence the last 6 words. In balance though other than sky and ag2r how many effective GC teams have there been this race? A lot of guys up there having to freestyle it Martin's not the only one.
  • kingstongraham
    Only 29 points behind Kittel now. That is quite something.

Tomorrow's sprint is after a cat 2 climb. Thursday's after a cat 3. He could conceivably be in green on Friday (which has a profile a bit like today).
  • Pross
    Deserved team win there. Sunweb have been good value. I really can't see how this stage is classed as semi mountain with just one third and one fourth cat climb. It's as though the organisers were hoping to neutralise Sagan slightly on the days where he was more likely to win. Really hope EBH can pick up a win somewhere.

Is Swift out of the race? Seemed a perfect stage for him but suddenly realised I haven't seen much of him since he crashed with Cav.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Pross wrote:
    This is a good example of how Martin is not a true GC contender. Brilliant single stage winner but a bit of a one trick pony in terms of winning on finishing ramps that aren't proper MTF. Not even close to a top division GC Tter either. Feel for him as he has had bad luck but I really think if he has serious GT GC ambitions he needs to target the Vuelta and move to a team to suit.

Yup hence the last 6 words. In balance though other than sky and ag2r how many effective GC teams have there been this race? A lot of guys up there having to freestyle it Martin's not the only one.

Somebody wrote the other day that the total parcours is flattering to Dan Martin - this is absolutely correct as he doesnt have the natural climbing ability of the other GC contenders. Tomorrow will tell a lot in this regard. He was unlucky today but at the pointy end of the race you make your own luck.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    so Sky attacks

and 15 seconds later attack fails because they have to send 3 people at the back because Landa didn't make the initial split ?

When Sky attacked there were 3 Sky + Froome , was Landa in those 3 ?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dan looked around 50' down:-(
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

A full strength QS team today would have been an asset. When I saw the wind forecast I thought Dan might be well placed to gain some time. I think this race has shown how he could be a GC contender but I think you're right that he'll struggle at QS especially if Kittel is their priority. I can't think who they have to offer mountain support.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    So was it Laporte who dragged Bouhanni back to the front group? Cos 5th is a pretty fine placing if it was.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Pross wrote:
    Poor positioning from EBH. Degenkolb not happy but didn't seem anything wrong with Matthews sprint.

Good battle for green now, shame that the weird rules deemed it a semi mountain stage and only 30 points for the win.

Bloody hell, didn't even realise he was in the race...

Good that Matthews is making this a fight, but I really really don't want him to win green.
  • Pross
    Well I'm going to blow my own horn as I managed to predict the exact section of road where the echelons went. If Quickstep need a DS they can PM me.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Good job, Pross.

I want to hear Matthews lavish his team with praise today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited July 2017
    Pross wrote:
    Well I'm going to blow my own horn as I managed to predict the exact section of road where the echelons went. If Quickstep need a DS they can PM me.

Except, I'd already done it twice before in this thread and I managed to do it, yesterday. :wink::lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    The_Boy wrote:
    So was it Laporte who dragged Bouhanni back to the front group? Cos 5th is a pretty fine placing if it was.

Julien Simon attacked with him out of the Kittel group, then Nicolas Edet dropped back to help, then Cyril Lemoine later dropped back from the main group and took him the rest of the way. Impressive.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:

Sounds like they need a doctor more than a DS
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.