TDF 2017:18th July - Stage 16 - Le Puy-en-Velay - Romans-sur-Isère165kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    pirnie wrote:
    Did everyone else just see an enormous Tarte aux Fraises?

Which Kirby called a Paella... FFS

Ha - I was watching on the Eurosport player, so heard the nice Frenchman say what it was. I assume this was one of those bits where they show it so that the locals don't block the road with tractors in protest.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Gutted for Bennett, big breakthrough race for him and he'd looked good other than the one stage. Hopefully he's not another flash in the pan.

Beautiful scenery again and still the chance of the mythical echelon making an appearance (stranger things have happened such as an earlier sighting of the lesser red Cofidis team).
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    George Bennett has quit. Poor bloke.

Who?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • kingstongraham
    Both groups are really strung out and look likely to stay that way. Great for echelons... especially if teams think there might be echelons.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    pirnie wrote:
    Did everyone else just see an enormous Tarte aux Fraises?

Which Kirby called a Paella... FFS

That just about sums up the whole Kirby thing: there he is busy getting it utterly wrong, while there are those who say 'yeah, but I like paella!'...
  • kingstongraham
    Contador bike change, working his way back through the cars.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Is it confirmed that Luke Rowe is in the Kittel group as stated previously on itv4?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I saw a yellow helmet - but too small for a positive ID
  • kingstongraham
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Is it confirmed that Luke Rowe is in the Kittel group as stated previously on itv4?

According to LeTour and their GPS data, yes.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    philwint wrote:
    I saw a yellow helmet - but too small for a positive ID

Euphemism?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    DeadCalm wrote:

According to LeTour and their GPS data, yes.

Excellent news, he has a lantern rouge to win!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    So, will the QS team be discussing abandoning Kittell's green jersey and putting all their support behind Dan Martin (or rather in front of him), or will they still be running two races at the end of the day? If it's true that a tummy bug is going around the team, they may have dwindling resources as the week goes on.
  • kingstongraham
    Tracking data shows 34KMH crosswinds from the right for the peloton right now.
  • Pross
    Strange day today, earlier we saw Cofidis on TV and now Cummings is at the front of the bunch! Anything could happen on this stage.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I understand the reason for Sunweb wanting putting Kittel under pressure but it looks unlikely he will get eliminated at on this stage at this rate....
    are sunweb trying the long game of death by a thousand cuts? I.e. Hammer Kittel today and hopefully shag him out and then nail him tomorrow or on Thursday in the Alps and try for an elimination or at least a points deduction if the groupetto finish outside the time limit on a mountain stage?
  • kingstongraham
    Pross wrote:
    Strange day today, earlier we saw Cofidis on TV and now Cummings is at the front of the bunch! Anything could happen on this stage.

Bouhanni only 1'21 behind now. That would be unexpected.
  • above_the_cows
    Bike shaped object:

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-18%20at%2015.56.27_zpsqg0kqrqh.png
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Pross wrote:

50s now. Say what you like about him, that's a decent effort if he gets back on
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • kingstongraham
    The_Boy wrote:
    Pross wrote:

50s now. Say what you like about him, that's a decent effort if he gets back on

Really impressive, fair play. He's a fighter.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    He's a fighter.

heh
  • kelliano
    kelliano Posts: 72
    Won a stage in Paris Nice that finished in same town. Some effort to get here and must be feeling good.

Bouhanni and Colbrelli to fight out the finish.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Shame about Bennett... he seemed to be going well. Liked his demeanor too... hope to see more of him. Esp now that Lotto-Jumbo have got added sponsorship.
  • Pross
    Been in the position of that Cofidis rider a few times, nearly getting back after being dropped and just unable to make the last 10m. Horrible feeling! It will be a cracking ride by Bouhanni if he wins today.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    There is no way that Bouhanni is going to come through and win this is there?
  • Pross
    'The virgin herself is 6m high and weighs 10 tons'. I suspect that might explain why she's a virgin!!
  • above_the_cows
    The WPR™ has a rival.

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-18%20at%2016.16.30_zps4mrizeb4.png
  • kingstongraham
    dish_dash wrote:
    There is no way that Bouhanni is going to come through and win this is there?

Be a shame if he gets caught the wrong side of another split. Love to see him win after that effort by him and his team.
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:
    Shame about Bennett... he seemed to be going well. Liked his demeanor too... hope to see more of him. Esp now that Lotto-Jumbo have got added sponsorship.

Yeah I had a look at his Twitter. Funny guy.
  • kingstongraham
    Well done Matthews - would have taken some explaining if he'd missed those points...
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    So what are Mathews chances of getting that Green Jersey before Paris? He wasted a few days before the mountains, but seems to be really going for it now