TDF 2017: Rest day 2 *spoilers*

Comments

• Dinyull wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    I also love the fact that wanty-gg have as almost as much prize money as Movistar+Orica+cofidis+bahrain combined

And they have the coolest looking bikes 8)

Have to disagree, saw Dan McLay's bike t'other day and almost fell over:

F5ezSDpF_400x400.jpg
    Paint it bright blue & fluro orange and it may have a chance ;)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^I don't like the top lines on that Look.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Whilst playing nicely today, I have been catching up with the ITV podcast. In yesterday's pod they suggested that Little Flower is amalgamating the various English accents (at Sky) into his own pronunciation, and that at times he is noticeably Welsh. Made me smile. Podcast finished and the previous day's podcast started. Interview with Little Flower and lo! They are right. He does at times use Welsh phrases and does have a bit of a Welsh accent. Obviously he isn't full blown Jones the Steam but it is noticeable.

First them Welshies corrupted Eddie Higgs Bosun with Welsh cakes now they are at it again with Little Flower. He'll be riding for Wales in the Commonwealth games next
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Dinyull wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    I also love the fact that wanty-gg have as almost as much prize money as Movistar+Orica+cofidis+bahrain combined

And they have the coolest looking bikes 8)

Have to disagree, saw Dan McLay's bike t'other day and almost fell over:

F5ezSDpF_400x400.jpg
    Paint it bright blue & fluro orange and it may have a chance ;)

the rear brake cable ruins it
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    F5ezSDpF_400x400.jpg

That would be gurt lush if it didn't have the wheels from a Playmobil bike on it
  • above_the_cows
    Zubeldia announces his retirement!
  • above_the_cows
    Whilst playing nicely today, I have been catching up with the ITV podcast. In yesterday's pod they suggested that Little Flower is amalgamating the various English accents (at Sky) into his own pronunciation, and that at times he is noticeably Welsh. Made me smile. Podcast finished and the previous day's podcast started. Interview with Little Flower and lo! They are right. He does at times use Welsh phrases and does have a bit of a Welsh accent. Obviously he isn't full blown Jones the Steam but it is noticeable.

First them Welshies corrupted Eddie Higgs Bosun with Welsh cakes now they are at it again with Little Flower. He'll be riding for Wales in the Commonwealth games next

Did he say "I'll tell you for why?"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Pross wrote:
    I reckon that so far we've seen the cliche that 'it's the riders that make the race not the route' confirmed. The days where we've had some of the best action haven't necessarily been the most obvious on paper. I think we are also seeing that riders really struggle to put together back to back hard stages.

So why were we complaining about all those flat stages then?

Because no-one wanted to race them - GC contenders were unlikely to gain anything as there were no cross winds and the sprint teams all appeared to have an alliance to lead Kittel to the line. But yes, I get your point, the riders need something to work with to make a race. I was looking more at the GC end of things and how the toughest days on paper haven't necessarily been the ones that have led to any excitement.
  • Zubeldia announces his retirement!

No!!!
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I can't stop laughing at Brailsford vs Cyclingnews.

Does that make me a bad person?

I'm cackling here

Mind you, Benson will be going through multi packs of Kleenex today
  • dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Brailsford says "You can stick it up your ars*"... is he referring to those beads? Clearly hasn't had a chance to de-stress this tour...

C R Y I N G
  • RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Typical CN though. They weren't invited so they turn up anyway to make a fuss and then write about how important they are. In journalism, if you act like a bellend you don't get access - that's almost the first lesson on day one of journalism school.

Yesterday, their load of old bollocks began with the headline: "Landa ordered to Wait....."
    Then, "Froome was cut adrift" and no mention of a puncture.
    Today and it's: "Cyclingnews has always strived to cover Team Sky and Dave Brailsford fairly and accurately."

Cyclingnews's jaundiced view, as one comment aptly put it.

That made me lol
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Hold on, surely it's the route that's given us days when the stage doesn't look too tough but the racing has been intense? I'm fairly sure that's what it was designed for - with a nod to Bardet's strengths
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309

No!!!

He should have done it at Sky's nonexistent press conference.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    He will be missed.... as per usual
  • He will be missed.... as per usual

Chapeau
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I reckon that so far we've seen the cliche that 'it's the riders that make the race not the route' confirmed. The days where we've had some of the best action haven't necessarily been the most obvious on paper. I think we are also seeing that riders really struggle to put together back to back hard stages.

So why were we complaining about all those flat stages then?

Because no-one wanted to race them - GC contenders were unlikely to gain anything as there were no cross winds and the sprint teams all appeared to have an alliance to lead Kittel to the line. But yes, I get your point, the riders need something to work with to make a race. I was looking more at the GC end of things and how the toughest days on paper haven't necessarily been the ones that have led to any excitement.

Arguably we've had the least challenging 2 weeks in a Tour route wise for GC for a long time and therefore it's no coincidence the GC is so close together.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    He will be missed.... as per usual

Chapeau

Yep, a hat from me too
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Who?

Edit:. Womble midlegs did it better already
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Edward Pickering:

Atmosphere at a few team hotels today:
    BMC - Business seminar
    Direct Energie - Family reunion
    Sky - Christmas episode of Eastenders

lmao
  • Apropos of nothing, who misses Mad Oleg?

IMG_8870_zpsw2oxa97f.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Not me. Objectionable individual.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • :lol: He'd provide a distraction for DaveB right now
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    PTP Update:

1st RichN95
    2nd Key
    3rd Omar Little
    4th Cruff
    5th rozzer32
    6th ShockedSoShocked, dish_dash
    8th NervexProf, kellar
    10th Specialized_Nick

Rich and Key both have Porte for GC (as do ShockedSoShocked and kellar) so the yellow jersey on the road is Omar Little, with the podium rounded out by Cruff and rozzer32.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    PTP Update:

1st RichN95
    2nd Key
    3rd Omar Little
    4th Cruff
    5th rozzer32
    6th ShockedSoShocked, dish_dash
    8th NervexProf, kellar
    10th Specialized_Nick

Rich and Key both have Porte for GC (as do ShockedSoShocked and kellar) so the yellow jersey on the road is Omar Little, with the podium rounded out by Cruff and rozzer32.
    Blimey, that's the shock of the Tour so far.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    The irony of SDB taking a stand against lazy click bait journos though ... :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    This house believes global joy would be maximised by a Contador stage win.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    This house believes global joy would be maximised by a Contador stage win.
    I've never much liked him, but I second the motion. (Increased rather than maximised though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    This Brailsford Cyclingnews thing is lols.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited July 2017
    No rest day ride for Mollema - too tired.

Was wired from his win and he didn't get to sleep till around 3am.