Comments

• Sigh
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Sigh

Walk away... Just walk away...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I think the sad thing is that Froome knows deep down that Wiggins has a charisma and aura beyond that which he has.

Despite his better Tour palmares.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Sigh

The fella and his wife are climbing Ventoux today in company with Tom Simpson's family and friends - 50 years to the day...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    If Froome has a reasonable grievance it should be the '11 Vuelta rather than the '12 Tour, at the Vuelta they realised too late that Wiggins wouldn't win whilst Froome would have done. In the Tour Froome did very little to support Wiggins with Porte and Rogers doing the vast bulk which Froome benefitted from as well as Wiggins. This stage that he could possibly (probably) have won he dangled off the back and looked to be dropped when he should have been working at the front and suddenly he came back, went through the group and off the front before doing his 'hurry up' hand gestures. He didn't act like a committed team mate much in the race as a whole and on that stage behaved like an idiot. I lost a lot of respect for him, like it or not his job was to ride for Wiggins and he'd accepted a new contract a few months before where he no doubt had it explained that 2012 was Wiggins year.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sigh

The fella and his wife are climbing Ventoux today in company with Tom Simpson's family and friends - 50 years to the day...

I saw. Good chat about it on ITV earlier with Pippa.

I can't see Froome doing something like that...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Pross wrote:
    I lost a lot of respect for him, like it or not his job was to ride for Wiggins and he'd accepted a new contract a few months before where he no doubt had it explained that 2012 was Wiggins year.

Not the way he describes it. His book says the team put in his contract (at his request) they would "support [Froome] in [his] ambitions in the Tour de France".
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sigh

But Wiggins is a personal friend of the Simpson family, Froome isn't. Joanne Simpson, Tom's daughter who is doing the ride, used to be a housemate of Wiggins's dad in Ghent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross wrote:
    I lost a lot of respect for him, like it or not his job was to ride for Wiggins and he'd accepted a new contract a few months before where he no doubt had it explained that 2012 was Wiggins year.

Not the way he describes it. His book says the team put in his contract (at his request) they would "support [Froome] in [his] ambitions in the Tour de France".

I'm no lawyer, but that sounds a bit imprecise for a contract to me.
  • dish_dash
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sigh

But Wiggins is a personal friend of the Simpson family, Froome isn't. Joanne Simpson, Tom's daughter who is doing the ride, used to be a housemate of Wiggins's dad in Ghent.

Ever to Froome's defense :wink:

I don't see Froome making this kind of gesture more generally. I get no sense that he has much of a sense of cycling history etc.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    I don't see Froome making this kind of gesture more generally. I get no sense that he has much of a sense of cycling history etc.
    No argument there. Apparently he once spoke to Richard Virenque for twenty minutes at a party in Monaco without having a clue who he was.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    No argument there. Apparently he once spoke to Richard Virenque for twenty minutes at a party in Monaco without having a clue who he was.

:lol:
  • kingstongraham
    Pross wrote:

During the 2012 tour... "I'd called Michelle earlier that morning and said, 'Please go through my contract and just check exactly what the wording says. I'm going to remind Dave of that today. I'm going to tell him that I have every right to attack on this climb at the end of the stage.'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Pross wrote:

IT probably said 'in 2013' or something though.
  • Pross wrote:

Classic Brailsford
  • dish_dash wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sigh

Vin Denson joined the party too. Great pics of them all on the top of Ventoux
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Interesting to reflect on the 2012 madness had Wiggins fallen by the wayside. Froome becomes the first GB winner who doesn't gel with the UK public at large, backs it up with a silver medal in the Olympics TT, which by then was unremarkable, and then disappears off to Monaco/Africa only resurfacing in July to ride the Tour, quietly in the mainstream media background.

I thought Froome had a cheek, he hadn't cemented the right to go for the Tour and needed the experience as super-dom to go forward. I think, in time and with a healthy palmares upon retirement, he will probably see this and reflect more positively. At the moment he must rue a Vuelta that he's still unable to win and an extra Tour that will seat him with the Gods. If he gets them anyway, he may chill.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • I'm going to tell him that I have every right to attack on this climb at the end of the stage.'

So why didn't he attack then?
  • kingstongraham
    I'm going to tell him that I have every right to attack on this climb at the end of the stage.'

Because he was told not to!
  • Classic Brailsford

It feels more like classic artistic licence to sell a book to me!

Wiggo was clearly Sky's choice as the #1 rider in 2011 and 2012 and I'm pretty sure that his and everyone else's contracts reflected this.
  • I'm going to tell him that I have every right to attack on this climb at the end of the stage.'

Exactly. Because he was contractually obliged to do as he was told.
  • kingstongraham
    I'm going to tell him that I have every right to attack on this climb at the end of the stage.'

Exactly. Because he was contractually obliged to do as he was told.

Like I say, he comes across as a bit of a tool in his book.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If I thought I could win the Tour by attacking then in Froome's position I'm not sure my radio would be working that day, basically unless Sean Yates grabbed his saddle and pulled him back it's up to him to attack and force Sky's hand. Personally I think he had too much to make up anyway, he may have been marginally stronger but that puncture would probably have cost him the race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • If I thought I could win the Tour by attacking then in Froome's position I'm not sure my radio would be working that day...

I've often thought that. It's not as though Sky would have sacked him for winning the Tour so that he could then go a win it for someone else.

It's probably not a bad position for Froome to be in re 2012. He has all Wiggo's detractors saying he's the moral winner, without actually having had to make up the time by sustaining any attacks.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    All ifs, buts and maybes. My OP was more about Froome's general lack of respect/acknowledgement t of Sky/Wiggins's 2012 win. He seems to cultivate the message that he could've/would've won that year had he not been muzzled.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    They clear didn't get on, it was a sh1tty year for him. Not surprising.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Landa not allowed to ride for the Stage win yesterday.............outragious hypocricy :?
  • ddraver wrote:
    They clear didn't get on, it was a sh1tty year for him. Not surprising.

Runner-up in the Tour, bronze medal in the Olympic TT, 4th in the Vuelta.

And a 10-fold increase in his salary.

I think most people would describe that as something other than a 'sh*tty year*
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Landa not allowed to ride for the Stage win yesterday.............outragious hypocricy :?
    Might have been a mistake, he could have nabbed some time bonuses off the other GC guys (on the super steep slopes in a sprint like that there isn't much a team mate could do).
  • I've just come across the allegation that Wiggins withheld Froome's share of the win bonus for 14 months from 2012. Not something I'd heard before. No wonder he's not singing Wiggins' praise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... onths.html