List of Almost Universally Well Liked Riders

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

For the first time since Virginia Wade lost in the semi finals 39 years ago, Britain has a representative in the last four of the women’s singles at Wimbledon.

Although she's not exactly British.

Neither was Virginia Wade

She was born in Dorset - isn't that part of Britain?

Apologies - thought she was South African born and raised, but Wikipedia tells us that she lived in South Africa from the age of one and learned her tennis there, coming back to Britain at 15. Still got the accent though :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I do accept that the whole sports nationality thing is a bit of a nonsense though. It seems to be as much which country you decide you want to represent. And, should you change your mind at some point, that doesn't seem to matter either. Mind you, I doubt if any of the Arsenal team were born in N London and it seems mandatory that you weren't born in Manchester in order to support United - so I suppose none of it matters..
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    FocusZing wrote:
    jo-konta.jpg
    Brilliant performance, played the pressure points.

For the first time since Virginia Wade lost in the semi finals 39 years ago, Britain has a representative in the last four of the women’s singles at Wimbledon.
    jo durie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Durie
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Although she's not exactly British.

DON't START

She's Hungarian Aussie right? :twisted:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Back on topic
    Dan-Martin-Panda-Liege.jpg
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    FocusZing wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Seeing as this thread seems to have gone off topic anyway.

Good to see Nadal the fighter getting over his pre G-up concussion.

Come on Nadal! I wanna to see the top four in the semi's!

So Nadal wacks his head, straight two set down, then fights but doesn't quite make it. Then both Murray and Djokovic out though injury, urts! Federer almost written off last year is such a class act.

It would be nuts to script a film like it. I guess it's that unpredictability which draws us in.

Yeah I know the nationality debate. I'm still going to enjoy Konta vying for a Grand Slam.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Timoid. wrote:
    Back on topic
    Dan-Martin-Panda-Liege.jpg

Panda is universally liked it is true.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Missing Purito
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Have I missed Lizzie Deignan somewhere?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pinno wrote:
    Nicole Cooke doesn't like her.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Some of the comments from other riders post missed test scandal weren't exactly supportive.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

The impression I had was that quite a lot don't like her and / or she's a bit of a loner.
  • pinno
    Being a loner on it's own shouldn't leave you open to criticism.
  • Pross
    Pinno wrote:
    Being a loner on it's own shouldn't leave you open to criticism.

Of course not but it is also likely to prevent you being universally well liked.
  • Pross
    Adam Hansen always seems popular with fellow pros and fans alike. I would add Geraint but there's an element that will loath any British or Sky rider.
  • Greipel is a good shout upthread.Crazy big gorilla, albeit not on form on this tour and makes some outrageous efforts in the classics. I'd say universally liked. Any dissenters?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    vOk6eab.jpg

?

jk :lol:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Pross wrote:
    Adam Hansen always seems popular with fellow pros and fans alike. I would add Geraint but there's an element that will loath any British or Sky rider.
    Yes, great piece on itv4 about intelligent / educated riders. Hansen on for 18 GTs now.
    Andy Murray has corrected a journalist after he said Sam Querrey, who knocked the British player out of Wimbledon earlier, was "the first US player to reach a major semi-final since 2009".

The newly-deposed Wimbledon champion reminded the reporter he was only talking about male players, as there had, of course, been considerably more success for the US on the female side of the sport. Since 2009, Serena Williams has won 12 Grand Slam tournaments.

On social media, Murray was praised for refusing to allow "casual sexism", and his mother, Judy, tweeted proudly: "That's my boy."
    Damn, wish Murray was OK to make the mens final.

Shame about Jo Konta, no real contest with Venus.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    RonB wrote:
    Missing Purito

I'm fairly sure Philip Deignan isn't!

DD.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    RonB wrote:
    Missing Purito

DD.

What's that about?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Previous page
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    RonB wrote:
    Previous page

But the photo of Purito is with Dan Martin? Or was Philip Deignan so bored at Sky he dressed up as a Panda?
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ar ... -rodriguez

Samuel Sanchez another candidate...
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Previous page

But the photo of Purito is with Dan Martin? Or was Philip Deignan so bored at Sky he dressed up as a Panda?

All Irish men look the same don't you know?
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    dish_dash wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Missing Purito

DD.

What's that about?

In the Vuelta a while back, Deignan was moving up the line to get on the front to pull for a bit, Rodrigues didn't like how he moved into the line in front of him. He duly punched Deignan in the face. Deignan had to be restrained, by all accounts and probably no harm, given that he did a lot of boxing as a teen. He would have sorted the little tw@t out!
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Previous page

Phil Deignan, Cillian Murphy and Colin Farrell all look much the same me.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Previous page

Phil Deignan, Cillian Murphy and Colin Farrell all look much the same me.

Cillian Murphy is really, really small/short. No idea about Deignan - although I doubt he's that large - or Farrell.
  • RichN95.

Cillian Murphy is really, really small/short. No idea about Deignan - although I doubt he's that large - or Farrell.
    They are all dark haired brutes with twinkling eyes straight out of a 19th century novel, in whom even as a straight man I can see the attraction.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Yeah. We all look the same ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    Looks like you have a date RichN.

I thought this was cycling related?!
    Oh well, i'm going to chuck Mo Farrah into the pot.