TDF 2017: Stage 7 - Troyes - Nuits-Saint-Georges 213.5kms *Spoilers*

12346»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    c00aa246-1421-4ca8-aca6-9dc72b569f6c.jpg

Bloody close but I think there's more of Kittel's tyre on the red line - almost impossible to tell
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,316
    There must be a zoom that shows a gap, otherwise they wouldn't call it, surely?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Could ugo build a wheel set with spoke pattern like that
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Too close to call. As Kittel has already won a couple they should give it to Edvald. Are none of the UCI commisars parents?
  • meanredspider
    edited July 2017
    Do the rules preclude a dead heat? Seems crazy after over 200k that there's 2mm or less in it..
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    In case of doubt, I think it is reasonable to start from the position that surely EBH didn't win a stage
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,161
    As a comparison, this for third place was called a dead heat (the only one I can recall)

U23_RR_photo_finish_0004M01.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Closest finish I think I've ever seen anyway.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    There must be a zoom that shows a gap, otherwise they wouldn't call it, surely?

I would hope so. My eyes (FWIW) can't tell any difference from that shot.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Wow. Glad I didn't have to call that :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,857
    Officially Kittel won by 0.0003 seconds, or 5mm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Booooo
    Indeed

BOOOO from me too.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,340
    According to my calculations, Kittel won by 5.8mm Won by 0.0003 seconds, at 69.8km/h 19.38889m/s * 0.0003 = 0.00582m = 5.8mm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Anyway, the real big news of today? No Wanty G rider in the breakaway :shock: :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,811
    Ok just watched this.

Very odd sprint. Just didn't feel right.

Looked like Kittel didn't really know where the line was.

Like the whole thing was going 5kph faster than all the riders thought.
  • rick_chasey
    Also I think that this sprint shows how important the team is.

EBH is by no means a tier one sprinter but he's got the two most experienced sprint teammates in Eisel and Renshaw and guess what???
  • meanredspider
    What I love is the BBC commentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40538161
    'Kittel lunged at the very last minute'

at the "very last minute", Kittel was nearly a kilometre away.... :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    Ok watching from further back - basically if your team isn't fairly well placed and organised with 10km to go you can forget it.

Organisation happens a looong way out. Lotto ballsed up today for example.
  • rick_chasey
    Kittel's Dutch is outstanding.

(Dutch gf & ex Dutch team member innit)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    A coupla' days back deep into another boring flat stage, they explained the finish line technology. They have a fancy camera that shoots 2,000, yes two thousand images PER SECOND. They should be able to make a call therefore and they should be able to find at least one shot that shows Kittel in front of EBH. I haven't seen it yet though.

Separate point, I don't think in a stage they have to split a result by 0.0003 seconds. It was a dead heat and every man in the street can see that, so man up and call it for what it was.

Just imagine Tommy Voekler's response if he'd been done out of a dead heat by 0.0003 seconds....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,707
    Ok just watched this.

Very odd sprint. Just didn't feel right.

Looked like Kittel didn't really know where the line was.

Like the whole thing was going 5kph faster than all the riders thought.

I think they were just out of gears so the extra power someone like Kittel has over EBH gets negated. At 70koh it became a leg speed battle. It looked a fast finish from 5km and obviously was, does anyone know what the fastest finish sprint speed recorded has been?