TDF 2017: Stage 7 - Troyes - Nuits-Saint-Georges 213.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,316
    If I had to give it to someone looking at the photo I'd have given it to EBH not Kittel.

Unless Kittel has wider tyres. It's painfully close.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,702
    Looks like a dead heat to me but I think they gave it to Kittel as he had a bit more speed and was ahead in the next frame. Really not sure how they split that. EBH seems to fancy his chances of green in this race, it's great to see him back on form. Unusual sprint as it seemed to come down to who could spin fastest, one of the quickest finishes I can recall seeing and the closest!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Booooo
    Agree. Was really hoping it was EBH.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,160
    Booooo
    Indeed
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Kittel took it on the lunge
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, I was really hoping it was Kittel, and I hoped a bit more.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    How the blinking flip have they separated them based on that photo?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    ShutupJens wrote:
    If I had to give it to someone looking at the photo I'd have given it to EBH not Kittel.

The photo of them 6 inches before the line? The actual photo finish photo had the two lines looking very close
    I'm talking about the photo finish photo. Impossible to separate them looking at the wheels but looking at other elements on the bike I've have gone with EBH. His hands appeared to cross the line first for example. Very tough almost impossible to call though.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I assumed they must have a better photo, but if it exists they're not showing it.
  • kingstongraham
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

No idea -you'd have thought they would put the red line showing the winner crossing the line, and a miniscule gap before the second place.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,856
    Kind of fitting that Kittel keeps winning the most boring stages of a Tour chock full of boring stages.
    EBH's arse was over the line before Hair Kittel's.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Kind of fitting that Kittel keeps winning the most boring stages of a Tour chock full of boring stages.
    EBH does give really boring interviews though.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Side on photo suggests dead heat possibly Kittel but the head on, HD TV, stopped right on the dot looks like EBH and reasonably conclusively.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mfin
    edited July 2017
    EBH's ars* was over the line before Hair Kittel's.

Eh? Surely if you want a boring winner to a boring stage then the best match would be to have EBH win
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Side on photo suggests dead heat possibly Kittel but the head on, HD TV, stopped right on the dot looks like EBH and reasonably conclusively.
    I thought the overhead shot looked pretty conclusive for EBH as well. Jury must have other footage.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The extra momentum of discs did it :wink::wink::wink::lol: 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    Odd result from what I seen on ITV4, I thought EBH win or dead heat, not an outright Kittel win.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,134
    Surely a Dead Heat?
    They announced Kittel as the winner pretty quickly - faster than they would for a photo finish in horse racing. At least they could produce the photo confirming their decision....until then I'm unconvinced.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Does Kittel have French ancestry? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    oh well... thats the end of the flat boring sprinter stages for this Tour... oh wait..... nope
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited July 2017
    I'm lodging a complaint with CAS!

I don't reckon Hair Flick won
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Interested if they judge it purely by eye, if so unless they have alternative HD photos if I were EBH I'd be looking for the judges and I'd be effing furious.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    Interested if they judge it purely by eye, if so unless they have alternative HD photos if I were EBH I'd be looking for the judges and I'd be effing furious.
    I'm fairly sure those pictures are much higher definition than they look on TV and they can zoom right in to the pixels.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Think the tan walls might have helped Kittel - can define where his tyre is a bit easier on the shots I've seen.
  • kingstongraham
    Be interesting to see if the camera is exactly lined up with the paint...
  • mfin

Ah, but EBH might well be furious, unfortunately there would never be any way of telling as he always sounds exactly the same.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Electronic sensors on the bike frames maybe decided it? Kittel was gaining on the line, but to me EDH's tyre crossed the line first, but a sensor on the front hubs or further back could swing it Kittel's way.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    Seen a few photos, can't see one yet that shows a gap between the two.
  • mfin
    Electronic sensors on the bike frames maybe decided it? Kittel was gaining on the line, but to me EDH's tyre crossed the line first, but a sensor on the front hubs or further back could swing it Kittel's way.

Ummmm.... no.
  • kingstongraham
    Anything that is not the first thing that crosses the line (like the other side of the rim) will favour Kittel, as he was ahead after the line.