TDF 2017: Stage 3 - Verviers - Longwy 212.5kms *Spoilers*

12346»

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Just noticed Pinot lost over 3 minutes, Rolland nearer 4. They're MTF gaps
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that Fuglsang finished 7th on that stage just ahead of GT and Froome. With his performance in the Dauphine I reckon he could be a dark horse.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Anyone else thinking despite Eurosport showing the race from start to finish , their end of stage coverage could be better. They didn't show the standings in green, breakaway, or young rider and barely showed GC. Not a lover of the new graphics either but guess they needed a refresh
  • amack
    amack Posts: 70
    sherer wrote:
    Anyone else thinking despite Eurosport showing the race from start to finish , their end of stage coverage could be better. They didn't show the standings in green, breakaway, or young rider and barely showed GC. Not a lover of the new graphics either but guess they needed a refresh
    I could be wrong but the graphics are all part of Le Tour package so it's a corporate look thing and not anything to do with Eurosport. They just show what le tour give them. I always find Eurosport a bit random with their coverage sometimes loads of detail at the end sometimes it's rushed to fit their scheduling.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    amack wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    I could be wrong but the graphics are all part of Le Tour package so it's a corporate look thing and not anything to do with Eurosport. They just show what le tour give them. I always find Eurosport a bit random with their coverage sometimes loads of detail at the end sometimes it's rushed to fit their scheduling.

Yes it's ASO who do the graphics , not Eurosport. It's always a case of when they are new you prefer the old ones. Seeing as the first few stages are all about the green jersey would have been nice to see the standing and if time the presentation too.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DD19f5IXkAAz6XG.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2017
    DD1zthpXUAAXRbq.jpg

I'll never quite get over the fact that Andy Schleck is younger than Chris Froome, but his last pro victory came before Froome's first.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    inseine wrote:

I imagine Rolland is looking to get in breaks and didn't someone say Pinot wasn't riding for GC, though I may have dreamt that bit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    I was feeding the cats and missed the horses. Were they lovely horses?

If you haven't caught them yet:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CyclingHubTV ... 0123076608

#RRLifeGoals
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gesink lost three minutes for the one of you that thinks he's a GC contender.

Gesink apparently stage hunting not chasing GC. From Inrng, after the crash on S2 he stopped to help out Leezer (for Groenewegen's leadout).

"Gesink was joking on Saturday that after his good TT he needed to start losing time"
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    inseine wrote:

I imagine Rolland is looking to get in breaks and didn't someone say Pinot wasn't riding for GC, though I may have dreamt that bit.

They look like the beginnings of polka dot gaps.
  • inseine wrote:

They look like the beginnings of polka dot gaps.

Pinot and Rolland had a very competitive Giro Pinot was fourth of course (lost on the podium by 2 seconds) . and Rolland was at max for long periods of time and stage winner....

The Giro was Thomas' objective but he DNS'd the 13th satge after a crash on stage 9

You can see the difference in form and objectives.

These people are human these days! :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    It's amazing how quickly the new great French hopes resort to chasing stages or the mountain jersey rather than mounting a serious bid for their national race.
  • Pross wrote:
    It's amazing how quickly the new great French hopes resort to chasing stages or the mountain jersey rather than mounting a serious bid for their national race.

hahaha - the new French hopes are Latour , Martin, Gaudu , Calmejane

These 'new hopes' ie Pinot, Rolland are now WT established riders and can plan each season accordingly

You are being very provincial in your outlook !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Are they planning each season or basically giving up on winning the Tour and looking at other options, possibly due to pressure? Pinot was seen as the real deal after Rolland flattered to deceive. I really hope that one of the current crop come through as I think the race needs a French winner for the long term future but it feels like some give up their hope too soon. Pinot is still quite young and I'd have thought this year would suit him.

Hopefully Bardet and Barguil will buck the trend but it's been like this since the 90s.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Pross wrote:

hahaha - the new French hopes are Latour , Martin, Gaudu , Calmejane

These 'new hopes' ie Pinot, Rolland are now WT established riders and can plan each season accordingly

You are being very provincial in your outlook !

Calmejane, great season that he having, is no GT classification rider.
    Hence yesterday's little foray.
    Neither is Martin.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross wrote:
    Are they planning each season or basically giving up on winning the Tour and looking at other options, possibly due to pressure? Pinot was seen as the real deal after Rolland flattered to deceive. I really hope that one of the current crop come through as I think the race needs a French winner for the long term future but it feels like some give up their hope too soon. Pinot is still quite young and I'd have thought this year would suit him.

Hopefully Bardet and Barguil will buck the trend but it's been like this since the 90s.

Relax - lets put Pinot against Froome - their birthdays are within a week of each other (almost) at the end of May and Froome is 5 years older than Pinot at 32 - 27

Froome at Pinots age seemed a bit ''how the hell did he get there' firecracker type of thing (don't put that into the clinic search or you will waste the rest of your day) He had that 'remarkable' ride against Cobo's also remarkable ride in the Vuelta 2011 - which topped his 9th place in Haut Var the year before then rocks up at the Tour next year and drags Wiggins round for a laugh......(sorry getting side tracked...

anyway Froome is now going for his 5th Tour title

Pinot's career to date has been one of dedication and the overcoming of some difficulties. He's just finished off the podium at the Giro and has podiumed already at the Tour. This year he was dropping Froome et al in some of the Spanish stage races - his Giro was a testament to his (and others ) beliefs...he will be at the Tour next year as a real contender for the top spot

Bardet is riding for the top spot now

Certainly not basically giving up on winning the Tour
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    inseine wrote:

Pinot got dropped on the run in to stage 2....although caught back on.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Pinot came into the Tour saying he was fatigued, and not expecting to target the top 5. "Flogging myself to finish 9th doesn't really interest me so I'd fight for other things, like stage wins, in that situation."

Also, he has a favourite goat - it is called Choupette.