TDF 2017: Stage 3 - Verviers - Longwy 212.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    r0bh wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Interestingly, those 4 gained 2s on the field. Froome managed to beat Porte and Contador despite them showing early.

Surely gaining 2 seconds is incompatible with the new 3 second split rule? Any split must be at least 3 seconds mustn't it?

That's only on flat stages.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    r0bh wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Interestingly, those 4 gained 2s on the field. Froome managed to beat Porte and Contador despite them showing early.

Surely gaining 2 seconds is incompatible with the new 3 second split rule? Any split must be at least 3 seconds mustn't it?
    On flat stages.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Froome and Thomas started 30 meters behind Porte and COntador, finished 10m ahead of them. Probably Froome will take yellow on stage 5 and keep it till the end (baring non watts related incidents).

Sky problem seems to be the missing powerhouse Stannard + Rowe and Knees injured + and now Kiry crashed also. they lack power on flat, today their positioning was catastrophic.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Catastrophic apart from getting G and Froome into the top 10 to hold the yellow again...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Think you need to look up what catastrophic means.

Since your first line suggests it was anything but.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    r0bh wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

As others have pointed out, that rule only applies to flat stages. Think if it as the younger cousin to the 3km rule.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gesink lost three minutes for the one of you that thinks he's a GC contender.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • EnacheV
    larkim wrote:
    Catastrophic apart from getting G and Froome into the top 10 to hold the yellow again...

those top 10's were only the merit of those 2 pushing the pedals hard. If you want lessons about positioning look at BMC and Trek who put Porte and COntador in top5 positions at the start of the climb.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    larkim wrote:

And having those two first and second in the GC.
  • EnacheV
    Think you need to look up what catastrophic means.

Since your first line suggests it was anything but.

no, you need to learn to read the posts in full and think about the content. try again.
  • RichN95.
    EnacheV wrote:
    Froome and Thomas started 30 meters behind Porte and COntador, finished 10m ahead of them. Probably Froome will take yellow on stage 5 and keep it till the end (baring non watts related incidents).

Sky problem seems to be the missing powerhouse Stannard + Rowe and Knees injured + and now Kiry crashed also. they lack power on flat, today their positioning was catastrophic.
    It was Kwiatkowski's job and he did it just fine. Knees and Rowe did a fair bit on the front today
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    RichN95 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

It was Kwiatkowski's job and he did it just fine. Knees and Rowe did a fair bit on the front today

Agreed, thought Sky did very well today. Always around and near the front, without ever actually being on it. Kwiatkowski did his job in bringing Thomas and Froome up to the front when needed, and they both finished inside the top 10.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gesink lost three minutes for the one of you that thinks he's a GC contender.

That's almost funny. And to think I was tutting at Yates for losing 8 seconds.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    RichN95 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

If they had finished 30metres further forward, they'd have got the win and second place bonus seconds. Marginal gains.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

If they had finished 30metres further forward, they'd have got the win and second place bonus seconds. Marginal gains.
    It they stuck a few Malteasers up their sleeves they would have won by thirty seconds
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

It they stuck a few Malteasers up their sleeves they would have won by thirty seconds

:mrgreen:
  • RichN95 wrote:
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Impressive stuff from Sagan today. On these occasions where it works for him he just makes it look easy.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    The others won't stand a chance when Sagan finally nails a sprint!

Kwiatkowski did a marvelous job of shepherding Froome and to a lesser extent Geraint up to the front.
    His twelve second buffer should mean he can hold the jersey until Beautiful Girls.
    I know it was only short, but he seemed able to move up towards the front with greater ease than Froome.

Talking of looks, I'd say the writing is already on the wall for Contador and his legion of groupies.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2017
    No Discs DD0isQ8XgAAnEy_.jpg
    DD0iu3XXUAAK1sw.jpg
    Sagan wouldn't have posted a photo of a big TV!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    FocusZing wrote:
    Sagan wouldn't have posted a photo of a big TV!

But he is a big fan of cooker extraction ... without a hood!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Seeing the highlights the strength of Sagan is ridiculous. As Ned said on the buildup breathing through his nose, sat down easy style.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    GVA seemed to hesitate when Sagan pulled his foot out as though he didn't want to hit the front. The way Sagan got back to full speed was incredible. Bling looked good but left too much to do.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Pross wrote:
    GVA seemed to hesitate when Sagan pulled his foot out as though he didn't want to hit the front. The way Sagan got back to full speed was incredible. Bling looked good but left too much to do.

Yellow card :twisted:
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Straight red surely!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I was feeding the cats and missed the horses. Were they lovely horses?

If you haven't caught them yet:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CyclingHubTV ... 0123076608
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Straight red surely!

Knew it'd get a reaction :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I was feeding the cats and missed the horses. Were they lovely horses?

If you haven't caught them yet:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CyclingHubTV ... 0123076608

That is Frenchie's Lovely Horse made real. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    The others won't stand a chance when Sagan finally nails a sprint!

Kwiatkowski did a marvelous job of shepherding Froome and to a lesser extent Geraint up to the front.
    His twelve second buffer should mean he can hold the jersey until Beautiful Girls.
    I know it was only short, but he seemed able to move up towards the front with greater ease than Froome.

Talking of looks, I'd say the writing is already on the wall for Contador and his legion of groupies.

I think you'll find that the legion believe today was evidence of Contador's forthcoming domination, the way he easily kept up with Porte (until he didn't) and the way he would have beaten G and Froome had he carried on riding instead of sitting up... Basically, he's a nailed on cert after that imperious display!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Not sure what the ASO were thinking about with that stage, cycling should be no where near an F1 circuit. Dont they realise if I get my bike out to Belgium this year this will ruin my Strava stats ! :x The run down from La Source is indeed very steep and once you get to the top of Eau Rouge the circuit still keeps rising all the way down the Kemmel straight until Les Combes. Also why have I never seen rice cake in all the time i've been staying in Verviers ? I do know a decent kebab shop though. :mrgreen:

Anyway back to the racing great win for Sagan and much as im a fan of him Contador seemed to be putting far too much effort just to stay near the front in the final climb then still dropped back and couldnt maintain the pace.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pretty sure they can get a disc bike down near the UCI weight limit anyway.

Also most of the pro bikes seem to have a safety margin above the magic 6.8 anyway, most of the ones GCN weighed were 7-7.2.
    Doubt it has anything to do with safety margins. It's really hard to get an aero bike with deep section wheels and electronic groupset to 6.8 kg. Even the Pinarello Dogma (which is very aero, but not an out and out aero bike) is only 6.8 kg with shallow wheels as Froome usually runs it. In a 60 mm Shimano wheel configuration it's quite substantially above the UCI limit. That is also why Pinarello are developing an Xlight version of the Dogma F10 as well.

It might be possible with the very best gear and ignoring sponsorship obligations, but even there it is quite the stretch (Enve or Roadsailor wheels are about 200g lighter than Shimano for example). Degenkolb's Madone is 7.4 kg with Aeolus 5's, so removing 200g there for example via the wheels wouldn't really close the gap.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023