Tory leadership bid

13»

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    I look at Boris as a total clown but I'd think anyone would struggle to defend the government at the moment. No-one seems to have a clue what it really stands for (that's voters and the cabinet) apart from prosperity for all and in the national interest, just rather empty phrases.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,766
    narbs wrote:
    When an interviewer doesn't go along with his bumbling clown act this is what happens....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b ... n-10662968
    Blimey. And to think of the stick that Abbott got.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    rjsterry wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    When an interviewer doesn't go along with his bumbling clown act this is what happens....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b ... n-10662968
    Blimey. And to think of the stick that Abbott got.

Only one mainstream media so far. Will be a nothing story by tomorrow...makes you think
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I suspect Boris is not purely self serving, he does want to do the best for Britain albeit his vision of Britain may not be shared by all of us. .

His deliberations on which side of brexit to pick suggest otherwise.

Yeah, that aside!

And his countless pledges not to become an MP whilst still Mayor of London?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718
    So going back to the thread title, where is this leadership challenge?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Not sure challenge was mentioned. Plenty of manoeuvring.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    I think the fact that there hasn't been one is the most telling.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    I think the fact that there hasn't been one is the most telling.

Who'd want it?

If you have any genuine ambition to lead the Tory party you'd want May in for the next 18 months at least.

I feel sorry for the 23 people who
    - read the Tory manifesto
    - agreed with it
    - voted to elect an MP to deliver it
    - and are now wondering where their grammar schools, fox hunting and dementia tax will come from
  • Stevo_666
    narbs wrote:
    Bid was the word in the title. Very simliar to a challenge...unless you're spitting hairs.

So where is the leadership bid? Or are the last 4 pages just hopeful speculation?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    It won't be Boris as he's too polarising for the electorate or if it is the Tories will be in the electoral wilderness until he's despatched as leader
    Really? I can see him as PM. Reckon he is modelling himself on Churchill. The wilderness years, his journalism, writing, changing sides when he feels like it (opportunist/pragmatism), posh background becoming man of the people, coming to our help in the nations hour of need etc. Could all come good for Bozza yet.

The great British public aren't that stupid....oh wait a minute ...
    It could well explain how Labour did better than expected.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    May will have to pay her penance. She very nearly ballsed the GM up beyond all proportions (yeah, I know Stevo, she winner, everyone else losers :roll: ). And as a result they will make the cow squirm endlessly out front. I'm rather enjoying the pained and haunted look in her eyes.
    Back to the topic: Gove and Bozza duke it out for the top jop. Bozza wins. Because he will go down beautifully with the Daily Mail and Murdoch empire. Don't be fooled by that amiable, bumbling appearance. IMO Boris cultivates that carefully - fool he ain't.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo_666
    As I was saying above, BBG :wink:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    So where is the leadership bid? Or are the last 4 pages just hopeful speculation?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As I was saying above, BBG :wink:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm a patient man, Stevo. The bid will come. In the meantime, May is looking decidedly shaky. That Queen's Speech was terrible. Even your man Corbyn had his dander up. And that was from a winner!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    May's agony has some mileage to go with no abllity to govern or deliver any legislation.

Cameron's public appeal propelled the tories to electoral victory and his personal ratings were consistently higher than the Tory party. He increased the Tories majority as a sitting government, a rare feat.

The Tories are divided and someone will require broad appeal to unify the different factions. Boris is too marmite, Gove is untrustworthy and the only current Tory who has deliver electoral success is Ruth Davidson. Effective, charasamtic and highly able and untainted so far with the current party shambles. Tories love power and will eat their own to win. That's the only constant here

Anyone for a virtual wager?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    BBG, of course you'll be right eventually. The OP was claiming that there was something much more imminent:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Looks like Boris is making moves to challenge May.
    That was posted 10 days ago.

So where's the bid?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    His balls shrank from the task at hand.

Leadership is desperately needed for the country. No one is stepping forward and it seems like the current crop of politicians don't have another gear
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,875
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    Bid was the word in the title. Very simliar to a challenge...unless you're spitting hairs.

The true bids will come after the decision for a new leader is made. Genuine contenders don't want to appear to have stabbed a leader in the back, unless it is advantageous.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    narbs wrote:

The true bids will come after the decision for a new leader is made. Genuine contenders don't want to appear to have stabbed a leader in the back, unless it is advantageous.

+1 he who wields the knife does not win
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,830
    When is the bid?

According to Hesteltine it's already started, it's just not public yet.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    It's not a two Ronnies sketch, you can't answer the question before last :D:D

Boris's at his absolute decisive best
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ane-abbott
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    What order will we see new leaders; tory, Labour and LibDems? Also who will be the new leader when it happens?

My bet based on order it will happen...
    LibDems - Vince Cable
    Tories - sh1t it can't be Boris or Gove can it? Ms Davidson isn't a leadership contender for some time. There really isn't a Tory leader. Is Cameron still available?
    Labour - McDonnell but I really hope not.

What do you think? Simple question to liven the thread up because there's no sign of a leadership bid.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    Given the current crop of leaders ( I say leaders but in the loosest possible way) and their possible replacements I can only see me visiting the polling stations in order to spoil my paper. I can't see myself voting for any of them.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,324
    Dabber wrote:
    Given the current crop of leaders ( I say leaders but in the loosest possible way) and their possible replacements I can only see me visiting the polling stations in order to spoil my paper. I can't see myself voting for any of them.

No worries, we'll choose for you.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    LibDems - Vince Cable

Isn't Vince 74? So that means at the next election he'll be......74.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    Dabber wrote:

No worries, we'll choose for you.

I know, I know but what do you do if there's no one you have any affinity or respect for? A rock and a hard place.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Dinyull wrote:
    LibDems - Vince Cable

Well who else is there? Ed vasey iirc was coalition minister as was Norman Lamb. Nobody else I think.

I still think there's a real dearth of quality leaders in British politics. There isn't a single one left I could support. As much as I hate deserting my natural political home Farron was the only leader I half supported.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dinyull wrote:
    LibDems - Vince Cable

Ha!