Velon Hammer Series

13»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    The other 6 teams penalised 5 minutes for drafting.

Farcical.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Call me silly but isn't anything that is new

A) going to have a few glitches to be ironed out first couple of times round

B) good for any sport/past time as it gets it out there?

I'm planning to watch the whole series on down time over the few weeks at work so really quite looking forward to it, warts and all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Well that was the best TTT Ive ever watched - which is admittedly not a great challenge...

Brilliant effort by TGH

I would add to my previous points

*Sort out how teams overtake - I'd say have a XXXX flag system like in F1 where the team ahead lets the other team pass and go
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Call me silly but isn't anything that is new

A) going to have a few glitches to be ironed out first couple of times round

B) good for any sport/past time as it gets it out there?

I'm planning to watch the whole series on down time over the few weeks at work so really quite looking forward to it, warts and all.

Something new? Bah!
    Seriously though - reckon you are spot on.

I really enjoyed the chaos / excitement of the chase today. Clearly none of the teams knew how to approach it (why would they?) & the commissaires couldn't stop the inevitable drafting on such narrow roads. No team could control the race for the three days, all very unpredictable & full of talking points (BMC - FOUR punctures in the chase.....?) Hopefully it's more than just a flash in the pan novelty - you wouldn't want to see every race taking the chase approach to finales, but there's definitely a place for it.

The GCN stream was good too - commentary liberally interspersed with the sound of beer bottles being opened, nice.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • ddraver
    I think teams should have to keep the same 5 riders for all 3 events too. That's where the unpredictability comes from
    - @ddraver
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    So ok, whens the next 1?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Next year sometime. Perhaps.
  • ddraver
    No, its sooner isnt it? Theres a few on in different places
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I need to watch the points race or whatever it's called. I quite enjoyed that TTT thing just for the tactical element of the the time being off the 4th man and the bit where Sunweb looked like they might come round Tao.

Certainly willing to give it another shot next time it's on.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    No, its sooner isnt it? Theres a few on in different places

Only Limburg ever announced I think.

Certainly nothing else scheduled.

Edit - Just checked again - Stavanger in Norway announced for 2018.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    Oh ok, my bad.

I thought Vaughters wanted a "season long narrative"? :P
    - @ddraver
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    How about a round where there are 5 x 10k races with only 1 rider from each team taking part (i.e. the exciting part at the end of a race).

Points can be based on finishing positions of each 5 riders.

The individual rider for each race choosen in advanced, on the line by the team or randomised?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    4 lap TTT, 5 riders per team, have to lose a rider at end of each lap. So on last lap left with two riders per team, first rider across the line wins.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    So folks... I've missed all this. But tell me, how was the on-bike footage from the racing? That was one of the big things Velon were selling, non?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    dish_dash wrote:
    So folks... I've missed all this. But tell me, how was the on-bike footage from the racing? That was one of the big things Velon were selling, non?

It was pretty rare to be honest, vast majority of coverage was standard moto and heli fare.
  • ddraver
    It was still gimmicky but the whole construct is gimmicky so it kinda worked. Same with the Rider data and the silly graphics and that
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    It was pretty cool in the TTT when they could use on-bike footage from one team of another team catching them.

I think the main thing is using it in a way that is complimentary to the other footage, not like what's been done before where it just comes up at random points.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    I just caught up watching.
    A fantastic, exciting race between the first two teams, a hilarious, clowns at the circus act, between the other six.
    I must be honest, I totally expected the latter, but not the former.
    Velon have themselves a winning formula: a bike race with laughs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Just watched the Bike channel coverage of the last stage - doesn't do it for me. I've got one of the earlier stages recorded so I'll give it a go but so far I'm not getting the love for this.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mccrear
    Mccrear Posts: 256
    i thought it had potential but there are some very obvious improvements needed;

* the coverage (GCNs was pretty funny but very very much a bodge rather than a hack) wasn't great and definitely didn't add to the experience. Some guys who are prepped and able to explain what the "rules" etc were would have been better.
    * the on board camera stuff was ok, but hardly a revelation and didn't add too much. Thought the TTT would have benefited from more of this but it was fairly sparse.
    * The data wasnt always available for all of the riders, and the app idea was good, but needs to be a little slicker
    * the points were just mental. 8.2 points?! why all the decimals? Just use whole numbers surely to Christ?!

but it was something different, for which they should be applauded, and it is something that could be adapted each time to offer some variety? also means some exposure for some jack of all trade riders who can be the most exciting guys but are reigned in on GTs. i would imagine a degenkolb, matthews and even a maclay could do really well here rather than being not quite fast enough sprinters at GTs and even some of the more rounded domestiques could be given a shot.

would definitely watch the next one.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I am a traditionalist. Should I watch it?
  • Mccrear
    Mccrear Posts: 256
    I am a traditionalist. Should I watch it?

Sure. if you hate it then just switch it off, but give it a chance and maybe itll grab you.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    As someone who can remember the first hand held calculator coming out, being able to move round a 360 degree video view from a rider in a Pro Pace is pretty cool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOLovI4POSI&feature=youtu.be
    Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Ridgerider wrote:
    As someone who can remember the first hand held calculator coming out, being able to move round a 360 degree video view from a rider in a Pro Pace is pretty cool...

Not sure why that's in the Velon Hammer Series thread, it's cool enough to warrant a thread of it's own, and while it might be a bit Velon it's not very Hammer series, is it?

Bloody cool though - you can even read his power meter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ridgerider wrote:

Not sure why that's in the Velon Hammer Series thread, it's cool enough to warrant a thread of it's own, and while it might be a bit Velon it's not very Hammer series, is it?

When I've seen on board footage before I can't ever remember thinking "this is good but I wish I could turn the camera around and stare at the rider's balls"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

When I've seen on board footage before I can't ever remember thinking "this is good but I wish I could turn the camera around and stare at the rider's balls"

There's a first time for everything, Rich.
    I was more interested in seeing who he was chatting to, but that's just me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I posted it here as it's another piece of the Velon jigsaw of the new world of cycling.

Caleb would probably end up swallowing the camera.
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    I thought it was cool. Kinda gimmicky, but cool.