TdF 2017

124»

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Eurosport have signed a new deal with TDF to show every minute live of every stage.

Do NOT fall into the temptation to actually watch the entirety of the TDF.
    It sounds like a challenge worth taking on. Although my mean extra Kirby.

Now I just need to get the boss to give me a month off, or let me work from home for all of July
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Eurosport have signed a new deal with TDF to show every minute live of every stage.

Noone can have watched all of stage 3 last year.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Dav1d1 wrote:

Noone can have watched all of stage 3 last year.

Pffft. Some people have no commitment.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Dav1d1 wrote:

Might that influence the racing as much as the length of stages? Perhaps not on pan flat days, but on anything selective there will be more incentive for teams to try and get air time from the gun, which could play a part.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I think that showing racing in its entirety is an awful idea.

Look at the last two Paris-Roubaix which has been shown from flag to finish and on both occasions the break didn't go early (or at all) and we endured some pretty turgid opening hours.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Look at the last two Paris-Roubaix which has been shown from flag to finish and on both occasions the break didn't go early (or at all) and we endured some pretty turgid opening hours.

True but if they get the viewing figures it might raise the profile, then Eurosport wont show repeats of cheese rolling when their's a live race on
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704

Eh?
    Both the Paris-Roubaix races were excellent.
    Gun to tap action. Watching the constant battling to get into the break, I don't find turgid.

That's not an endorsement of whole, flat stage coverage at the Tour.
    Thems an entirely different kettle of poisson.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Eh?
    Gun to tap action. Watching the constant battling to get into the break, I don't find turgid.

Agreed, this year's Paris Roubaix was well worth covering from the start.

In the Tour, surely it's if the break does go early that you can switch off safe in the knowledge that you'll only be missing some people running around making shapes in fields.
  • phreak

Not sure if you're being serious here, but the 2016 PR was widely regarded as one of the most exciting in modern times, and someone from the early break won the race :?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716

Eh?

Different people have differing views.

Agree re sprint stages though, they could be soleless

(carrying on fishy puns).
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I do hope that Eurosport show the long hours of TdF coverage on the commentary-free UCI channel as well; I find the swish-swish of tyre noise, the muted sound of the heli, and the occasional zut alors of the moto-pilot strangely relaxing - like a velophile's whale song.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    BBC4 once showed two hours of a narrow boat going along a canal. Much of the coverage will fit into this genre. Some people just like looking at the scenery. As imatfaal notes, it might work well with just background noise.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Having the option to watch the whole stage is far better than not having the option - it is not compulsory. There have been a number of stages of various races this year where it has all kicked off early and there has been no coverage. That's far more annoying.
  • phreak
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Having the option to watch the whole stage is far better than not having the option - it is not compulsory. There have been a number of stages of various races this year where it has all kicked off early and there has been no coverage. That's far more annoying.

I think what would be useful, especially for those watching online, is a kind of 'tagging' feature. You see it in coverage of football or rugby now, where certain key events are highlighted and you can go back and watch then happen. That kind of feature would be great in cycling where you might not be there to see an attack go off or a breakaway form (or a crash happen), but it nonetheless defines the stage.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    phreak wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I think what would be useful, especially for those watching online, is a kind of 'tagging' feature. You see it in coverage of football or rugby now, where certain key events are highlighted and you can go back and watch then happen. That kind of feature would be great in cycling where you might not be there to see an attack go off or a breakaway form (or a crash happen), but it nonetheless defines the stage.
    Eurosport tries to do this in Eurosport player, when I open it to watch a race it comes up with a key moments button. However it's never actually worked for me...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    The Tour roadbook is now available for download, in English:-

https://aso.wetransfer.com/downloads/25 ... 039/8dca98
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The Tour roadbook is now available for download, in English:-

https://aso.wetransfer.com/downloads/25 ... 039/8dca98

Thanks .
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    If you want the roadbook in single page format you can find it here...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ePVIhF7aPxRjdtVUZYTlBIaU0/view
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut