• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    The perfect GC standings at the end of today would be something like:

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

The Giro would likely be decided by seconds in the TT.

Well I got the order that I wanted. Just not the time gaps. :P
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oh, God, this means I'm going deaf. :oops: :lol:

Too much jungle can do that.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I hope Tom D pumps Quintana and nibs tomorrow. Could live with a peanut win. That crap pink skin suit has got to cost 20s + for a start. Now if only if they could do a staged time handicapped start under non drafting ironman rules or similar. The look of Quintana's face as the flying dutch man thundered past would be one for the ages.

Surely he'd look exactly the same as he always does?
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    “Luckily, I had better legs than yesterday,” Dumoulin said at the finish. “I absolutely killed myself, but I’m forever thankful and grateful to the help from Bauke Mollema, Adam Yates, and Bob Jungels.”

From VeloNews.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Quintana deserves nothing from this Giro. He suggested they worked together on the final climb when they had the gaps only to do nothing on the front himself. He'd hit the front and then peel off immediately. He seems to expect everyone else to work for him. It was only in the last 2 kms he finally did his turn.

I hope we get Tom D first and Peanut second after the TT tomorrow.
  • onyourright
    Why would you want Tom D to win? He’s the strongest rider.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313

There is no such thing as too much jungle.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    I have to admit, I haven't watched much of the race but I'm slightly perplexed by the number of people moaning in the last few stages. Every July we get people moaning that the Tour is over after someone like Froome attacks the first climb and opens a seemingly insurmountable lead. Here we have possibly an unprecedented position of 5 riders going into the final day with a chance of winning, there has been drama on most of the key stages with Quintana and Nibali attacking and Tom looking to limit losses or, on his stage win, closing the gap and attacking and team leaders attacking early leaving a GC group alone miles from the he end. The only thing we haven't had is someone going early on a final climb and gaining minutes but then, if we did, we'd be back in 'race already over' whinge mode. This ain't the 90s, we aren't going to get the favourites knocking lumps off each other day after day from long range. In the real world, racing hard for 3 weeks is difficult and tiring. I think some people have read too many Rapha style publications about an era that never existed.

Oh well, in about 6 weeks we'll probably get Froome attacking at the base of the first major climb and gaining a minute or two so everyone will be happy or not.....
  • Pross

Is he? Why isn't he leading then after there's already been a long time trial where he put big gaps into his rivals then? He's struggled throughout the final week and appears to be holding on, limiting his losses.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross wrote:
    I have to admit, I haven't watched much of the race but I'm slightly perplexed by the number of people moaning in the last few stages. Every July we get people moaning that the Tour is over after someone like Froome attacks the first climb and opens a seemingly insurmountable lead. Here we have possibly an unprecedented position of 5 riders going into the final day with a chance of winning, there has been drama on most of the key stages with Quintana and Nibali attacking and Tom looking to limit losses or, on his stage win, closing the gap and attacking and team leaders attacking early leaving a GC group alone miles from the he end. The only thing we haven't had is someone going early on a final climb and gaining minutes but then, if we did, we'd be back in 'race already over' whinge mode. This ain't the 90s, we aren't going to get the favourites knocking lumps off each other day after day from long range. In the real world, racing hard for 3 weeks is difficult and tiring. I think some people have read too many Rapha style publications about an era that never existed.

Oh well, in about 6 weeks we'll probably get Froome attacking at the base of the first major climb and gaining a minute or two so everyone will be happy or not.....
    It's been fantastic, I've really enjoyed it :)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Quintana deserves nothing from this Giro. He suggested they worked together on the final climb when they had the gaps only to do nothing on the front himself. He'd hit the front and then peel off immediately. He seems to expect everyone else to work for him. It was only in the last 2 kms he finally did his turn.

I hope we get Tom D first and Peanut second after the TT tomorrow.

I do wonder why he didn't work with Nibali after Nibali attacked initially. Dumoulin was isolated at that point whereas when he launched his own attack and then cooperated with Nibali and Pinot Dumoulin had allies. I guess he was hoping not to take Nibali with him but with the flat run in you'd think he might want allies.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • onyourright
    I’m moaning not about the race but the baffling tactics that allowed Dumoulin to escape damage not only today but on several other climbs. The race has been brilliant.

There’s a 50-odd-watt penalty to riding in the wind on a climb like today’s. If you have a jump, it’s absolutely critical to combine forces with others who have a jump, break away from Dumoulin – who can’t or won’t jump – and then work together to share the worst work at the front. Meanwhile, those behind must make Dumoulin ride at the front regardless of their own goals, since all goals are best served by that and Dumoulin can reliably be trusted to ride since he has the most to lose.

Who on this climb stood to gain anything from helping Dumoulin that exceeded the gain of making him work 50 watts harder for every second of that climb? And yet someone or other, even Pinot who both has a great jump and a reason to put time into Dumoulin, repeatedly towed him back within sight of the leaders every time he did the little stirring gesture.

Then, after the summit, people way down the GC buried themselves for Dumoulin. It’s seemingly inexplicable.

But Cyclingnews makes some attempt at an explanation, at least for the help he received after the summit, first with this quote from Dumoulin:

"They were pretty much not really fighting anymore for any spots on GC, because they are pretty much fixed on their spots on GC, so it was definitely to help me. I'm very happy about that and very thankful."

[This didn’t stop Mollema absurdly claiming he was aiming at the stage win.]

And then by mentioning L’Équipe’s invocation of the Velon organisation.

When the tactics can only be explained by membership of peripheral organisations and personal friendships, you can’t expect no-one to be miffed.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Pross wrote:

Is he? Why isn't he leading then after there's already been a long time trial where he put big gaps into his rivals then? He's struggled throughout the final week and appears to be holding on, limiting his losses.

Because he lost 1.30s whilst having a massive poo (I'm not counting the further 40s he lost, which he likely wouldn't had he been in the group), which would have put him in the lead currently.
  • Pross
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Because he lost 1.30s whilst having a massive poo (I'm not counting the further 40s he lost, which he likely wouldn't had he been in the group), which would have put him in the lead currently.

He still hasn't looked the strongest in this final week.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Would have been interesting to see where Thomas, Landa & Yates would have been had there not been a the moto crash.

Also within 1.5 mins with the top 6?
    Rich
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Wot?
    Did you go to the field and check it out?
    Hope he didn't give the cows an inferiority complex :P
    Pross wrote:

Correct, not that it should be expected.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Wot?
    Did you go to the field and check it out?
    Hope he didn't give the cows an inferiority complex :P
    Pross wrote:

Correct, not that it should be expected.

Logic. If you need to go that badly, it's not a tiny nugget is it :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I just caught up. Good stage. Dumoulin's to lose, but look out for Zakarin.

The one thing I took away from it is that none of the riders (apart from Zakarin) seems to be willing to take complete ownership of a situation. There was a lot of looking around at other riders. The thing that marks out Contador and Froome is they always just go for it, all-in.

Many will rue waiting for that poo for the rest of their lives.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    OCDuPalais wrote:

There is no such thing as too much jungle.

Tell that to Captain Willard.

Been a really enjoyable race i think. Whoever described Quintana as Colombia's 3rd best cyclist above - Chapeau ! :lol:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    RichN95 wrote:

Many will rue waiting for that poo for the rest of their lives.

This

As it panned out, it was not quite waiting and not quite going.
    Another minute would have made today so much more exciting