Giro 2017: Stage 20: Pordenone – Asiago 190 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
edited May 2017 in Pro race
Stage 20: Pordenone – Asiago 190 km

START TIME: 11.55 CEST

The stage starts from Pordenone which has already hosted 6 stages in the history of the Giro. Then the first 100 km are on relatively flat roads, at the foot of the Prealps in the province of Treviso, with a categorised summit at Muro di Ca’ del Poggio and an intermediate sprint in Feltre. The route then climbs up Monte Grappa (24 km conquered in 2014 by Nairo Quintana and in 2010 by Ivan Basso), on narrowed roadway. The climb is steep and sharp at first, then the gradient declines, with a few changes in slopes before the categorised summit. A very long (26 km) and technical descent follows, with several hairpins and on moderately wide roads. The route then takes in the last climb in Foza (unprecedented KOM at the Giro, rising steadily at a 7% gradient, with a number of hairpins). The final 15 km are rolling and wavy. The route descends slightly over the last 5 km, up to 400 m before the finish. The roads are wide and well paved outside the city centres. When entering Asiago (four times starting stage and four times arrival) , the peloton will encounter roundabouts and traffic dividers. There is a last bend 450 m before the finish line, and the home stretch, on 7-m wide asphalt road, has a mild uphill gradient.

Altopiano_Asiago_-_Roana_dal_Monte_Rasta.jpg

formaggi_tipici-asiago_mezzano-001-800x800.jpg

Map:-
T20_Asiago_plan-1.jpg

Profile:-
T20_Asiago_alt-1.jpg

Climbs:-
T20_S01_CadelPoggio_web.jpg
Ca_del_Poggio_bici_rosa.jpg
T20_S01_Grappa_web.jpg
T20_S02_Foza_web.jpg

Asiago_montagna_irene_Cacciola.jpg

Final Kms:-
T20_Asiago_ukm_web.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Here we go then.

The perfect GC standings at the end of today would be something like:

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

The Giro would likely be decided by seconds in the TT.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    It would be grand to see FDJ or Katusha try something at the start of the Monte Grappa climb, but I have the feeling that in this "modern" era everyone is too exhausted
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

That would make me feel ill! Quintana & Nibali need a dose of Karmic retribution for being knobs
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

There's no way Dumoulin will make up two minutes on Quintana in a final day TT after a week of mountains. I don't think he can afford to trail by much more than a minute.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

There's no way Dumoulin will make up two minutes on Quintana in a final day TT after a week of mountains. I don't think he can afford to trail by much more than a minute.

I'd be more sceptical of Pinot winning from that position. Hasn't he got the wrong sort of form in final TTs in GTs?
  • RichN95.
    Kruijswijk is ill and won't be starting
  • blazing_saddles
    Steven Kruijswijk out of the race; not able to take the start.

......................Oh for gawd sake, beaten by Rich again. 8)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

I think Dumoulin at +1.5 minutes would be prime for an exciting TT
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Sterling job on the thread starter again Blazing.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

The TT tomorrow is generally slightly down hill so sound favour dumoulin even more than normal
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • milton50
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

Now that's a big call, Rich. It's pan flat remember. The kind of course where power will really count.
  • milton50
    By pan flat I mean there is no real uphill sections. I know that it is slightly downhill.
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Here we go then.

Quintana
    Nibali + 40 seconds
    Pinot + 1 minute
    Dumoulin + 2 minutes

Now that's a big call, Rich. It's pan flat remember. The kind of course where power will really count.
    There's a big difference between a stage 21 TT and a stage 10 TT though. The climbers tend to fair better the later in the race the TT is.
  • milton50
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's a big difference between a stage 21 TT and a stage 10 TT though. The climbers tend to fair better the later in the race the TT is.

I agree with you there. Dumoulin put 2:50 into Quintana on stage 10 so I knocked 50 seconds off as I thought that was a fair representation of what is possible on the final stage.

Tom did look really really tired at the end of yesterday though, so you may be right.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dylan Teuns, Tom-Jelte Slagter, Matthieu Ladagnous, Dries Devenyns, Maxim Belkov and Filipo Pozzato have a minute on the peloton (Pozzato Alert!!!)

But the peloton doesn't want to let them go. Apparently there's a split in the chasing peloton, no idea on size or seriousness.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Reichenbach has been outstanding for FdJ. And Mollard. People seem to be thinking of Pinot s TT in terms of stage 10 when he had a bad day after hard days He seems full on motivated and tt last year was good and legs seem good
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I agree with you there. Dumoulin put 2:50 into Quintana on stage 10 so I knocked 50 seconds off as I thought that was a fair representation of what is possible on the final stage.

Tom did look really really tired at the end of yesterday though, so you may be right.
    It seems that over that course, that distance and the weather forecast Dumoulin could destroy Quintana by 3 minutes or more so given what you've said about the proceeding three weeks Tom should still be on target fir a good 2 minute gap. Come on Tom!
  • blazing_saddles
    So, the final big showdown and Eurosport's tv schedule has now changed.
    Coverage delayed by............wait for it.....................one hour!

Edit: now back to 12-30pm. :roll:
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Live coverage minus comms has started on Eurosport Player, pretty cool actually as you can hear the crowds chants of "Pippo! Pippo!" clearly (Pozzato is in the break). 130km to go, break has 5:30
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Tbf nothings happening at the moment, they're still a way off the Monte Grappa.

I really think the broadcasters could do more with the live rider data. They just flashed up the power readings for the GC contenders, but seeing the power being put out at that exact moment isn't worth much. How about showing the average for the last 5 mins or some time series charts?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Reichenbach has been outstanding for FdJ. And Mollard. People seem to be thinking of Pinot s TT in terms of stage 10 when he had a bad day after hard days He seems full on motivated and tt last year was good and legs seem good

Came after a rest day. As did his one mediocre day in the mountains.

ASO will be considering a tour with no rest days...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • blazing_saddles
    Butcher Tom leading the break up the climb.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Steven Kruijswijk out of the race; not able to take the start.

......................Oh for gawd sake, beaten by Rich again. 8)

It's not the winning it's the taking part that counts. :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    There aren't enough emojis in the world to cope with a possible Pippo win.
  • r0bh

Setting as he was out the back of the break as soon as the road went uphill I don't think we need worry about that!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Katusha on the front & Movistar down to 2 riders supporting Quintana.
  • r0bh
    Fierce pace being set by Katusha, Movistar and Bahrain doms being shelled from the peloton
  • above_the_cows
    r0bh wrote:

Setting as he was out the back of the break as soon as the road went uphill I don't think we need worry about that!

*sad face crying emoji for Pippo*
  • above_the_cows
    Katusha trying something on the Monte Grappa.

All GC contenders still together. Only Zakarin with a team mate.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Just started watching and there are hardly any riders in the pink jersey group. Dumoulin hanging on.