Giro 2017: Stage 18: Moena – Ortisei/St.Ulrich 137 km *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    Barring accidents Quintana is battling for second now. Can Nibali put 40 seconds into him over a flat TT?

Another MTF to come no?

Yeh, Nibali and Quintana seem on a similar level though so I'm not expecting any significant time gaps in the mountains.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Milton50 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Barring accidents Quintana is battling for second now. Can Nibali put 40 seconds into him over a flat TT?

Another MTF to come no?

Yeh, Nibali and Quintana seem on a similar level though so I'm not expecting any significant time gaps in the mountains.

Will see.

Tom's clearly more rattled post poo than pre poo.

Nibs & Quintana have shown they're always the nuts week 3.

Tom hasn't....yet.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    War of words brewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40051074

Nibs thinks Tom is "too cocky" and should beware of "karma", spoken like a true Sicilian. Snow banks are being readied by suited henchmen no doubt.

Tom "didn't like Nibz' riding in the final today", a weirdly personal put down.

Quintana staying out of it, wisely.

Quintana was interviewed by Eurosport when he was warmig down on his turbo - said something along the lines of 'we're waiting for Dumoulin to blow himself up, and if he doesn't, I'll blow him up'. As if we hadn't just watched the stage where he completely failed to do that.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95 wrote:
    Maybe we might consider that Quintana was an early bloomer and not really as good as we make him out to be.9
    IainF72, one of the wisest minds this forum has seen, marked him out early as the new Lucho Herrera.

Agree - his Giro win came when he 'didn't know' the stage was neutralised, and everyone else stopped at the top of the Stelvio(?)
    His Vuelta win was greatly assisted by Contador orchestrating a mugging on Formigal.

He's not won a GT in a true mano-a-mano mountain battle. His stage win and climb into 2nd in the 2013 TDF came after Froome had got the tour in the bag.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Quintana doesn't deserve a podium spot and Nibali would only deserve it for his win in Bormio.
    Quintana is so negative 99% of the time.

That's pretty what Dumoulin said in interview. Hopes they both lose their podium spots for marking him.
    What does he do, then?
    First blot on his copybook.

He's saying that to try to encourage everyone else to ride against each other and not united against him though isn't he.

Also has bitten his tongue over unreciprocated favours, it's some payback that you can't blame him for enjoying.

They have been riding against each other.
    Trek, Orica and FDJ have all chased down attacks or riders up the road.
    This new etiquette lark expected on the road, but off the road, not so much?
    Wishing the Italian darling to lose his podium spot is not very clever, regardless of whether you feel owed.
    Couldn't see CF speaking in those terms, regardless of mood.

He's just doe normaal, gewone Nederlands, i.e. blunt as a mallet.

I have always found the Dutch to be extremely blunt!

Froome would never speak like that because the British never say what they really think (yes I know he's Kenyan but raised by Brits).

Makes it sound like they found him as an abandoned cub on the Serengeti whilst on safari.
  • Alex99
    RichN95 wrote:
    Maybe we might consider that Quintana was an early bloomer and not really as good as we make him out to be.9
    IainF72, one of the wisest minds this forum has seen, marked him out early as the new Lucho Herrera.

Agree - his Giro win came when he 'didn't know' the stage was neutralised, and everyone else stopped at the top of the Stelvio(?)
    His Vuelta win was greatly assisted by Contador orchestrating a mugging on Formigal.

He's not won a GT in a true mano-a-mano mountain battle. His stage win and climb into 2nd in the 2013 TDF came after Froome had got the tour in the bag.

True. This is why Froome is the best climber, despite what some race stats say. To re-appropriate some Samuel L Jackson, it's those occasions when you absolutely, positively got to kill every m*therf*c@er in the race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Couldn't see CF speaking in those terms, regardless of mood.

This is not a good thing, unless you are Chris Froome, which none of us are.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Milton50 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Another MTF to come no?

Will see.

Tom's clearly more rattled post poo than pre poo.

Nibs & Quintana have shown they're always the nuts week 3.

Tom hasn't....yet.

Today's climbing doesn't look selective enough and the final climb is another one which suits Dumoulin, so that leaves tomorrow for Quintana to put what, 2 minutes into Dumoulin ahead of the time trial...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Alex99 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Froome would never speak like that because the British never say what they really think (yes I know he's Kenyan but raised by Brits).

Makes it sound like they found him as an abandoned cub on the Serengeti whilst on safari.

:lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Alex99 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Dave Brailsford meets Froome at the 2006 Commonwealth Games

The-Lion-King-still-007.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Alex99
    RichN95 wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Dave Brailsford meets Froome at the 2006 Commonwealth Games

The-Lion-King-still-007.jpg

That's so needs to be photoshopped