Giro 2017: Stage 18: Moena – Ortisei/St.Ulrich 137 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Quintana doesn't deserve a podium spot and Nibali would only deserve it for his win in Bormio.
    Quintana is so negative 99% of the time.

That's pretty what Dumoulin said in interview. Hopes they both lose their podium spots for marking him.
    What does he do, then?
    First blot on his copybook.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

Four riders now within two minutes of Dumoulin- shaping up to be a great last few days racing.

I'm sceptical. Remember Dumoulin has another TT to come. 2nd place might be entertaining.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Quintana doesn't deserve a podium spot and Nibali would only deserve it for his win in Bormio.

I've tried hard but I just can't find the "love" for Quintana.... a long way off from being a great champion IMO.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Quintana was very poor today. Movistar tactics are poor. But I don't think Quintana has the legs to finish the job. He certainly isn't at the same level he has been in the past. And unfortunately doing the giro means he won't have the legs for the tour so it's looking like two podiums will be the best he can hope for.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Got to say, for the hype about the route and the field in the months leading up to the race, the racing has been quite disappointing. The most meaningful GC action in the mountains has been Dumoulin's digestion. At least the surprise factor still keeps my interest in the race afloat.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Dorset Boy wrote:

That's pretty what Dumoulin said in interview. Hopes they both lose their podium spots for marking him.
    What does he do, then?

He's saying that to try to encourage everyone else to ride against each other and not united against him though isn't he.

Also has bitten his tongue over unreciprocated favours, it's some payback that you can't blame him for enjoying.
  • blazing_saddles
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

He's saying that to try to encourage everyone else to ride against each other and not united against him though isn't he.

Also has bitten his tongue over unreciprocated favours, it's some payback that you can't blame him for enjoying.

They have been riding against each other.
    Trek, Orica and FDJ have all chased down attacks or riders up the road.
    This new etiquette lark expected on the road, but off the road, not so much?
    Wishing the Italian darling to lose his podium spot is not very clever, regardless of whether you feel owed.
    Couldn't see CF speaking in those terms, regardless of mood.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

Wishing the Italian darling to lose his podium spot is not very clever, regardless of whether you feel owed.

The last few km of today with Nibz and Quintana refusing to do a tap with the stage decided and the rest of the top 8 up the road didn't look good though did it, so I don't blame him Tom D being a bit snippy. There's racing tactics, and then there's just being an ar*e.
    Keeping his podium is Nibz's responsibility, not Tom's, but he didn't seem that committed today.
    Agree about CF, he'd be much more deferential.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Nibali has eight GT podiums, including four wins
    Quintana has five GT podiums, including two wins

I don't think either care much for podium places by now

Still, I can't imagine Contador or Froome (both seven podiums) riding like they did today
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

Four riders now within two minutes of Dumoulin- shaping up to be a great last few days racing.

I'm sceptical. Remember Dumoulin has another TT to come. 2nd place might be entertaining.
    Yeah I think from the way Dumoulin rode today he had a lot more firepower if it had been needed. He never looked remotely troubled and his catch on the Gardena was perfect.
  • bobmcstuff
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

I can't see the problem with how Quintana and Nibali are riding. Quintana was reasonably ambitious today, he just didn't have the legs. OK so he isn't as exciting as Contador but who is ? As for them marking him, he's the pink jersey and they are trying to take it off him what does he expect.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    I don't think Quintana has been ambitious at all other than on Blockhaus. He has a couple of Contadoresque digs for a couple of hundred metres but wheelsucked the rest of the day. He's shown nothing to suggest he'd be a worthy winner. He's just too conservative.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

I can't see the problem with how Quintana and Nibali are riding. Quintana was reasonably ambitious today, he just didn't have the legs. OK so he isn't as exciting as Contador but who is ? As for them marking him, he's the pink jersey and they are trying to take it off him what does he expect.

So Pinot goes up the road and takes a load of time out of Nibali and he doesn't think he should do anything about it... Let's hope it does bite him at the final podium.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

Well if they mark the leader when there's a TT to come and he's the strongest time triallist of them all, in which case they may as well go home.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

He's just doe normaal, gewone Nederlands, i.e. blunt as a mallet.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    As for them marking him, he's the pink jersey and they are trying to take it off him what does he expect.

But that's the whole point, if they want to take the jersey off him, they have to attack him.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    I don't think Quintana has been ambitious at all other than on Blockhaus. He has a couple of Contadoresque digs for a couple of hundred metres but wheelsucked the rest of the day. He's shown nothing to suggest he'd be a worthy winner. He's just too conservative.

Too conservative?
    None of them are worthy, in that case.
    As someone elsewhere aptly put it: "This Giro has more fights off the bikes than on the bikes."
  • bobmcstuff
    Dorset Boy wrote:

What does he do, then?

He's just doe normaal, gewone Nederlands, i.e. blunt as a mallet.

I have always found the Dutch to be extremely blunt!

Froome would never speak like that because the British never say what they really think (yes I know he's Kenyan but raised by Brits).
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I think that comment might come to bite TD on the bum (no pun intended)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Movistar do have a tendency to be conservative but today what more could Quintana have done ? He attacked at 50k out and again later - if you don't have the legs you can only do so much.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2017
    Maybe we might consider that Quintana was an early bloomer and not really as good as we make him out to be.9
    IainF72, one of the wisest minds this forum has seen, marked him out early as the new Lucho Herrera.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes it's looking like his early promise hasn't matured as many expected, bit like Wayne Rooney, both suffer from being judged against the expectations others had for them.
  • fleshtuxedo
    War of words brewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40051074

Nibs thinks Tom is "too cocky" and should beware of "karma", spoken like a true Sicilian. Snow banks are being readied by suited henchmen no doubt.

Tom "didn't like Nibz' riding in the final today", a weirdly personal put down.

Quintana staying out of it, wisely.
  • RichN95.
    At the Sunweb hotel a package is delivered. They unwrap it to reveal a couple of mackerel and some burnt barbequed sausages. What does this mean asks Dumoulin. The DS bows his head and says 'It's a message. Laurens Ten Dam sleeps with the fishes'
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    Nibz is always up for a bit of needle, but TomDum is being a bit TomDumb
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Either Tom is incredibly naive,or is feeling super super strong.

Wonder what the bookmaker's odds for an on the road alliance between Nibs and Quintana are now?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Barring accidents Quintana is battling for second now. Can Nibali put 40 seconds into him over a flat TT?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Excellent.

Finally a bit of needle.

Loved the trolly gesture when Tom asked Quintana to chase. Geezer would have bitten off your arm for a stage win and a podium (and he knows it).

Very funny.

Love some mind games being played - all the better for it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Milton50 wrote:
    Barring accidents Quintana is battling for second now. Can Nibali put 40 seconds into him over a flat TT?

Another MTF to come no?