Negative progress: Kit advances that aren't

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I think that this whole thread depends on your personal viewpoint: I'm a simple man with simple needs so although I can sort of see a place for power meters, telephones that control the world, cars that drive them selves, electronic groupsets, etc I don't actually want any of them: I'm happy running Red mechanical as it's lush, using a fountain pen, not worrying about watts and ftp when I'm out smashing myself on my bicycle and turning the pages on a paper book.

To me, anything that could impinge on my limited spare time by not working and causing consternation is negative progress.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081
    Razors with more and more blades that offer lubrication and less irritation but last about 5 minutes then are as blunt as a nuns .......

I used to get at least 2 weeks out of a blade a decade ago. Now I go through a few a week. Utter sh1t

I've still got my Gillette Sensor with lubra strip. It's only got 2 blades. What pi$$es me off is that the blades are the same price as the 4 and 5 job malarkley's. It's cheaper to buy a new razor including 5 replacement blades than a pack of 10 blades for the Sensor.
    W@nkers the lot of them.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    Razors with more and more blades that offer lubrication and less irritation but last about 5 minutes then are as blunt as a nuns .......

I used to get at least 2 weeks out of a blade a decade ago. Now I go through a few a week. Utter sh1t

I've still got my Gillette Sensor with lubra strip. It's only got 2 blades. What pi$$es me off is that the blades are the same price as the 4 and 5 job malarkley's. It's cheaper to buy a new razor including 5 replacement blades than a pack of 10 blades for the Sensor.
    W@nkers the lot of them.

I use an old fashioned safety razor - nice and hefty razor, 100 blades for £8, really nice shave, slows everything down in the morning to the pace that it should be. When used with a bowl of shaving soap and a badger haired brush well rocks.

All that Gillette, etc, stuff just sums up modern day living: way overpriced, disposable and designed to rush you through what should be a relaxing part of the day so that you can rush onto the next thing and onto the next thing and the next thing without actually taking time out to savour the world your family and friends and what's important.

I suppose you could say the same about power meters and all that crap: designed to take the sheer pleasure out of something as easy/hard as riding your bicycle and technologise it all: why make things simple, eh guys 'n' gals......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    I've had the Gillette Sensor for at least 20 years. I don't know what constitutes 'modern'. Perhaps the concept of what is and what isn't is only relative to the pace of change and perception.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Modern kettles. Interestingly, James May was on the radio over the weekend commenting that despite his love of old things, generally modern stuff is better and disposability encourages development. With the exception of electric kettles. I've given up on modern ones. I now use a fully serviceable 1962ish Russell Hobbs K2. It does everything I need it to (boil water - nothing else. Don't need a crappy water level indicator as I am capable of briefly lifting the kettle to determine if there is enough water in it for my needs and, if not, how much more I need) and it will see me out. Most modern kettles wouldn't see a hamster out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mehh. I'm a disposable razor guy. The blades for flashier razors are crazy expensive.

And whats with the shaving oil that seems to be made of Unicorn Tears ? Good old lynx will wash you, your hair and lather up for your shaving. Simplification is whats needed. (he says looking at the 20 bottles of product surrounding the bath)
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    I've had the Gillette Sensor for at least 20 years. I don't know what constitutes 'modern'. Perhaps the concept of what is and what isn't is only relative to the pace of change and perception.

Paying £12 for 6 razors tends to class it as modern and irk me somewhat.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    I just use whatever the OH has got. Sometimes I smell quite fruity.
    However, my bristle's are as tough as Elephant grass and any old soap won't do. Disposables are fine but sometimes you get the odd one that ain't quite right...

A lot of things irk you MF. Malta irk's you.
    Wishaw would doubly irk you and Cumbernauld would make you irked for a year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    Electronic gears. :twisted:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pinno wrote:

W@nkers the lot of them.

I use an old fashioned safety razor - nice and hefty razor, 100 blades for £8, really nice shave, slows everything down in the morning to the pace that it should be. When used with a bowl of shaving soap and a badger haired brush well rocks.

All that Gillette, etc, stuff just sums up modern day living: way overpriced, disposable and designed to rush you through what should be a relaxing part of the day so that you can rush onto the next thing and onto the next thing and the next thing without actually taking time out to savour the world your family and friends and what's important.

I suppose you could say the same about power meters and all that crap: designed to take the sheer pleasure out of something as easy/hard as riding your bicycle and technologise it all: why make things simple, eh guys 'n' gals......

This. proper shaving, for real manly men. I'm considering a cutthroat, but not sure I'm that manly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,604
    Pinno wrote:
    However, my bristle's are as tough as Elephant grass and any old soap won't do. Disposables are fine but sometimes you get the odd one that ain't quite right...

Its more likely that MF would irk Wishaw and Cumbernauld. With the big end of a snapped snooker cue.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    Pinno wrote:

W@nkers the lot of them.

Ah, so you're a shaving hipster.
  • pinno
    ...Inverness to Wiltshire...

Hmm... does that mean you'll have to frequent that hospital in Swindon, or worse Bristol?
    Neither locations have advanced that much. In fact, I think the latter has gone backwards.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Pinno wrote:
    ...Inverness to Wiltshire...

Hmm... does that mean you'll have to frequent that hospital in Swindon, or worse Bristol?
    Neither locations have advanced that much. In fact, I think the latter has gone backwards.

Plan to keep Miss MRS in Cambridge until treatment complete. Probably worth her having her follow-up done there too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Smart watches. A posh watch is tantamount to jewellery for blokes, without looking too poncey with a menagerie of other bits of sparkly sh1t adorned, I get that. In reality nobody needs a watch now, just look at your smat phone which just about everybody has near them 24/7.

So, smart watches? What's the point? They look naff and the screen will never be big enough, the money saved can be put towards a better phone, it will never be as powerful as a bigger phone...
  • fenix
    Oh i love my Garmin Fenix 3. A week out of the battery and gps that tracks everything. Really pleased with that. Much better than the i watches or whatever.
  • FocusZing
    Fenix wrote:
    Oh i love my Garmin Fenix 3. A week out of the battery and gps that tracks everything. Really pleased with that. Much better than the i watches or whatever.

Yeah I agree with that in terms of exercise, but everyday use?
  • fenix
    Depends how much use you put it to - I do tri stuff so running/swimming sessions are shorter than bike rides and I just set a reminder to recharge the battery on the saturday night before the long sunday ride. Never let me down yet.
  • FocusZing
    Fenix wrote:
    Depends how much use you put it to - I do tri stuff so running/swimming sessions are shorter than bike rides and I just set a reminder to recharge the battery on the saturday night before the long sunday ride. Never let me down yet.

Fair points.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    FocusZing wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Yeah I agree with that in terms of exercise, but everyday use?

Very much so. The Fenix 5 is pretty close to a seamaster in terms of size and a fraction of the cost. Looks good as well.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • FocusZing
    Can you use BR forums on it and make a post?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    Pinno wrote:

W@nkers the lot of them.

Ah, so you're a shaving hipster.
    There's going to be an awful amount of sales if hipsters have suddenly started shaving.
    I've quite enjoyed being "unique" simply by shaving and not having any tattoos. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    cooldad wrote:
    I use an old fashioned safety razor - nice and hefty razor, 100 blades for £8.
    This. proper shaving, for real manly men. I'm considering a cutthroat, but not sure I'm that manly.
    I had to buy some new blades the other day. That £8 worth will last me another couple of years. It's not that I'm not manly enough for a cut throat, more that I'm not competent enough.
  • bendertherobot
    FocusZing wrote:

No, but you can't do that on the Omega either ;)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:

No, but you can't do that on the Omega either ;)

Yeah but that's a fine piece of status men's jewellery. The fenix thing is a bit of nerdy tech.
  • bendertherobot
    I guess I fit that demographic. Mind, I don't wear watches as a rule, but have owned a Seamaster, Oyster and some Oris F1 thingy. I'd not be without my Fenix because of the sheer volume of sports I do. If I didn't do so many I may not be so fond of it.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited May 2017
    Pinno wrote:

That's because I find modern life and the majority of those who pollute it very irksome.

Malta, I believe, is the caliphate of irk, see.

Alsager is just the caliphate of paedophile rapists, whereas mine and Gazlar's amusement park is the caliphate of joy.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

Its more likely that MF would irk Wishaw and Cumbernauld. With the big end of a snapped snooker cue in one hand, a sock full of snooker balls in the other and a bag full of hyperdermics filled with ebolaids trailing slowly behind him

FTFY

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Fenix wrote:

But you ,ok like a jeffbag wearing it anytime you aren't wearing Lycra.

You think you look like a cross between Bear Grills and the Brownlees, everyone else just thinks you look like a cross dresser - and I don't mean the angry type.

Best watch I ever had was a Royal Navy diver's watch - bombproof, lovely, wore it commercial diving for a year, up the Himalayas climbing for 3 months, a further year in India. Lovely. Loads of memories too.

Some builder nicked it from my house when it was getting an extension put on.

In the words of a First Aspect, if I ever find him I'll be irking with him with the thick end of a broken snooker cue.

Got nicked 5 years ago - still miss it, sniff, sniff.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I use an old fashioned safety razor - nice and hefty razor, 100 blades for £8.
    I had to buy some new blades the other day. That £8 worth will last me another couple of years. It's not that I'm not manly enough for a cut throat, more that I'm not competent enough.

I used to have a cut throats for special occasions: it got chucked away after a friend of mine used it to cut chunks out of, errrr, something. Yes, that's the diplomatic word. Something.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.