Handbuilt Wheels Frustration

13»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    it not even that thick. the internal width is the bead to bead distance normally but there is the small hook. sneezing on these rims wear them out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    it not even that thick. the internal width is the bead to bead distance normally but there is the small hook. sneezing on these rims wear them out.
    Yeah and that's a worry as i suffer from hayfever :D
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Good question... it was a case of both. People wanted Archetype and light and I advised 24/28 for most reasonably light/fit riders. Occasionally there was a pair of 32/32 on 6800 hubs, which were a total bargain at the time

And even more occasionally a set of RR440 rims on Hope hubs :lol: :shock: :D

But that was your own doing as you wrote a blog about these rims and suckered me into getting a set!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    .... and tubed clinchers do explode out of the rim lip at high pressure

FIFY ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    drlodge wrote:
    Good question... it was a case of both. People wanted Archetype and light and I advised 24/28 for most reasonably light/fit riders. Occasionally there was a pair of 32/32 on 6800 hubs, which were a total bargain at the time

And even more occasionally a set of RR440 rims on Hope hubs :lol: :shock: :D

But that was your own doing as you wrote a blog about these rims and suckered me into getting a set!!

They were going very cheap on Starbike, if I remember correctly and the asymmetric rear was a bonus. At the time there was not much in terms of tubeless ready and light, now there are way more. They are a bit narrow, but given you are limited to using 23 mm tyres on your frame, that's not an issue.
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    ALawson wrote:
    Speak to Judith at Stayer, I think she builds on Hopes. Or whatever else you want.

This has proven to be a very good shout!