Which Carbon Deep Section Wheelset under 1k?

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have a set of Fulcrum Quattro carbons for about 2 years now and done approx. 3000kms on them and had zero issues. They're reasonably light (1482g), spin up fast and hold speed well when above 20mph.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    kingrollo wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I’d go handbuilt. I have three sets of handbuilt carbon clinchers all on Hope hubs in varying rim depths built by a mate who is a local wheelbuilder in South Cheshire/ North Staffs. He previously built me other sets of aluminium rimmed wheels, again on Hope hubs.

Prices are around £800 ballpark with CX-Ray spokes, so not overly expensive like some brands, the beauty is several fold;

1. You choose the components you want (or seek his expert advice regarding intended use).
    2. You can decide (within reason) on spoke count, so if you want bombproof he can build you that.
    3. You can customise if you so wish with coloured hubs and nipples etc.
    4. They are completely serviceable - no need to send back to a factory if you brake a spoke (which I have NEVER experienced on any wheel he has built for me).
    5. Customer service is exceptional. I get him to give them a once over and re-tension/ true every now and again - I’ve bought quite a few sets of wheels from him and he doesn’t charge me for this. He even arranges to come around and pick them up and then drop them off later/ next day. Obviously that is not expected and may not extend to every customer!
    6. His advice and attention to detail is fantastic too. His experience and expertise is well worth listening to. We discuss my needs and he knows me and my riding style - I’m powerful and about 83kg, so quite hard on stock wheels with low spoke counts. I was fed up with stock wheels flexing under load and first approached him with regards building something a bit stronger that could take my loads without flexing. The first job he did for me was replacing a stock rear hub on a Felt (some generic brand hub) that kept seizing. I wanted a Hope as I had researched a lot and thought they seemed excellent value for strong/ reliable hubs. I was not disappointed.

Next set were my first carbon clinchers built for a disc brake bike build. He advised on spokes and spoke count, again to be built around a pair of Hope hubs. I chose 28 spokes front and rear and the wheels have been perfect over 3 years. They’ve had the odd re-tweak and have recently been transferred to my winter bike as a new set of centrelock Hope hubs wheels have replaced them (so I could fit Dura Ace Freeza rotors rather than 6 bolt). These have again proved a top quality build.

It’s little things like the servicing, advice, the use of little brass washers to prevent the spokes biting into the hubs and linseed oil to lubricate the threads and the choice of components to meet budget/ personal requirements that swing it for me. I will always go handbuilt.

PP

Oh, and it’s John who runs https://www.skidwheels.co.uk/

does he build onto 50mm deep section carbon rims - couldn't see any on the website ?

Yes. He’s better at building wheels than building websites! :lol:

PP
  • So when you get wheels made at a place like the above, are you basically paying a uk based person to build up Chinese carbon rims? Or do the carbon rims come from elsewhere?

The bit I can’t understand about uk handbuilts is what the difference is between them and something that farsports would build
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes, basically, using the same spokes but whatever hubs you want.

people like Hunt build them exactly the same as Chinese fellas but double the price for reasons discussed passim.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Part of the value you get is that after-sales will obviously be much better, much easier and much cheaper if the builder is UK based and reputable too.
  • pilot_pete

people like Hunt build them exactly the same as Chinese fellas but double the price for reasons discussed passim.

Well, using whatever hubs and spokes you want too usually, or whatever the builder prefers to build with due to reliability/ quality etc.

The after sales service is a big plus for me and any issues can be dealt with more easily and probably much more quickly and cheaply if you don’t need to send them to China/ Taiwan etc.

PP
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Not all Chinese rims are the same.

I know when I built wheels the tensions are withing a very tight range. That is not always the case with other wheels. It can be though. Unless you have a good tension guage and I don't mean a park tm1 you'll never know.

Does the builder use washers under the nipples?

All the wheels are handbuilt. If you know the wheel builder and how they work then you get what you expect. If you don't and your buying based on what cheapest or what lightest or what have the the best branded parts for the money you end up with exactly that a bunch of part you like the name of, That maybe properly assembled or not.

That may sound harsh but this is what I find. Can you build those rim on to X hubs? Yes buy why it won't make them any better.

So a UK wheelbuolder using a Chinese made rim may or may not be make the same thing as a farsport et.al
    That depends on how good they are at there job. You can normally tell by the after sales service. If they back up what they do
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I can't personally think why anyone who might buy some wheels from a "cheap", Chinese outlet would bother considering after sales. Pay your money and take your chances. If something goes wrong, I'd just take them to my local very reputable wheel builder. Broken spokes, trueing, re-tensioning. To be honest, I think if i did buy from overseas, I'd take them there anyway to be checked over for tensions etc.
  • pilot_pete
    I agree completely with Malcolm’s comments - it’s the little extras, including the advice that make the difference with handbuilt wheels made here.

A good builder will steer you in a particular direction, or warn you of the downsides if you insist on particular components that he/she doesn’t recommend. They will have good reason not to recommend and will take you through why.

The best thing to do is call the builder up and tell them what you want in terms of wheels - I don’t mean individual components necessarily, I mean what use you are going to put them to and what you currently have and any issues you have experienced with those wheels. Obviously budget is another requirement.

This way, they can offer advice about a suitable build, hopefully within budget (you need to be realistic) and suggest particular components that will deliver what you want. If they are happy to put their name to the set of wheels and provide after sales service if required then you should end up a happy customer.

That’s where I am now and as I say, getting the wheels checked over every year or so, trued and retensioned has meant I have 4 sets of wheels that I am extremely happy with and they have never had any issues regarding reliability.

PP
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483

Hunt wheels are made in China. They are quite open about this, but are keen to point out that their builder is carefully chosen, components are carefully selected, and QA is paramount. You pay a premium for their support and backup. In my limited experience (1 wanted different through axle end caps, 2 needed QR end caps and skewers) they have been very good indeed. Answer the phone (others could learn from this!), good advice, quick and speedy response.
  • Matthewfalle
    the builder is chosen by whoever is on shift at the factory.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    the components are carefully selected by reaching around and getting whatever bits you need from the big box of bits

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited March 2019
    QC is the same as every factory

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    proto wrote:
    (1 wanted different through axle end caps, 2 needed QR end caps and skewers) .

QC doesn't sound that great tbh .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • proto
    proto wrote:
    (1 wanted different through axle end caps, 2 needed QR end caps and skewers) .

QC doesn't sound that great tbh .....

No their fault I want to use the same wheels on different bikes - 12mm through axle, 15mm through axle, QR. So I asked for different end caps, and they supplied them.
  • proto

Haha, have you been in many factories? Your naivety is quite amusing.
  • proto
    the components are carefully selected by reaching around and getting whatever bits you need from the big box of bits

The randomly chosen components that 5heykve had engraved with their logo, the randomly chosen components that meet their build spec on their website.

Matthewfalle, you’re the only bloke I’ve ever had on my ‘ignore’ list. Tried to give you a second chance but I really don’t like the way you post, so back to ignore. Bye.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited March 2019
    sheeesh. that escalated.

oh well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    contact factory.

hello. can you print Hunt instead of (say) Farsport on this so we can charge more because we have told people its a bespoke artisan build not knocked up in a factory alongside all the others.

yeah, no dramas.

cheers.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    proto wrote:

Haha, have you been in many factories? Your naivety is quite amusing.

its not naivety its attention seeking.
  • Matthewfalle
    negatron. its called not believing the hype and being taken for one.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    however it does seem that rollo believes the hype.

#swallowthemarketing

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    however it does seem that rollo believes the hype.

#swallowthemarketing

No I don't - but lots of stuff is made in china\ Taiwan

The way I see it:-

Chinese wheels ebay - you will probably be ok - but if things go wrong you may struggle

UK Built or UK controlled (Hunt) - a price increase - but back up if things go wrong

Branded - quality product with back up - at a premium price

In the past I have done well buying used - or nearly new wheels - get shop to check em over - off you go - but there a risk. I am not that demanding a rider though...
  • Matthewfalle
    hunts. out of an unknown factory in china with novatec hubs with a different name printed on them, run of the mill spokes and a bog stock carbon rim with a sticker on.

or

branded - ffwds from wiggle.so branded AND back up.

both the same price.

ffwd here we come.....

a website with black & white photos and the normal hyperbole doesn't swing it hunts way.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    now if hunts wrre £500 then i'd have no problem with them. but £860 plus? thats very expensive.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    at the end of the day they are no better than Primes and they are a lot more expensive

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    but they will the marketing brief for the current climate.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    but i'm just a realist who used to work in industry so what do i know?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    but i'm just a realist who used to work in industry so what do i know?

Clearly not how to contain multiple points into a single post.
  • but i'm just a realist who used to work in industry so what do i know?

Saturday girl at Halfords :lol::lol::lol: