Dolan Dual Audax metric munching machine

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    5700 STIs... 9 sp XT and 10 speed cassette. Brakes are 5800...
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Love the orange accents! You need the matching Hope seatpost collar though. I recall getting crucified for doing something similar to my Condor :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:
    Love the orange accents! You need the matching Hope seatpost collar though. I recall getting crucified for doing something similar to my Condor :lol:

I don't think I do. Spacers are OK cause they don't do anything, but the collar has a job to do... the Hope ones seem the rather useless type that doesn't hold
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    5700 STIs... 9 sp XT and 10 speed cassette. Brakes are 5800...

Aha. Makes sense.
  • ugo.santalucia
    At the moment I don't really need the XT derailleur, but it's nice to have it there in case I need to fit a large dinner plate to go up some stupid gradient. I't also a very sturdy derailleur that keeps working flawlessly with zero maintenance
  • Alex99
    At the moment I don't really need the XT derailleur, but it's nice to have it there in case I need to fit a large dinner plate to go up some stupid gradient. I't also a very sturdy derailleur that keeps working flawlessly with zero maintenance

With the new Dura Ace going shadow, you're ahead of the game.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Alex99 wrote:

With the new Dura Ace going shadow, you're ahead of the game.

:lol:

The good thing about this frame are the downtube adjuster barrels, previously I had to fit an inline barrel adjuster to do the gears, as the Shadow mech doesn't have one
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    the spacers will look great once they turn black from brake dust.
  • ugo.santalucia
    It rides wonderfully and it's pretty quick too!

https://www.strava.com/activities/993836211
  • Alex99
    It rides wonderfully and it's pretty quick too!

https://www.strava.com/activities/993836211

Great. I used to ride around there.
  • ugo.santalucia
    First big ride yesterday, just short of 150 km... laden with Audax saddle bag with waterproof stuff and two big bottles of water... nonetheless I managed my PB up Edge hill in a bit of headwind :-)

Now fitted my old sore-proof Brooks saddle for the long Audax events coming in June... 2 x 200 km and the 400 km

It's a really really good frame... very smooth, yet responsive as you like... if you are thinking of getting one, do it :-)
  • mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117
    Just out of curiosity, how much of the smoothness and responsiveness could be attributed to the wheelset as opposed to the frame?
  • Alex99
    First big ride yesterday, just short of 150 km... laden with Audax saddle bag with waterproof stuff and two big bottles of water... nonetheless I managed my PB up Edge hill in a bit of headwind :-)

Now fitted my old sore-proof Brooks saddle for the long Audax events coming in June... 2 x 200 km and the 400 km

It's a really really good frame... very smooth, yet responsive as you like... if you are thinking of getting one, do it :-)

But it's from an open mould and not even made in the UK. How can it be good Ugo? :wink:

Here is mine anyway. Only thing I'm not keen on is the Sora STIs purely because they look a bit plasticy (they work perfectly though! How vain).

34656331312_4b191cb954_c.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    Just out of curiosity, how much of the smoothness and responsiveness could be attributed to the wheelset as opposed to the frame?

I always use handbuilts with similar spokes/pattern/rims
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slapped on a beaten Brooks saddle for the long Audaxes... yesterday I did 214 km... no issues with back or bum... very comfy setup indeed!!
  • darkhairedlord
    Alex99 wrote:

But it's from an open mould and not even made in the UK. How can it be good Ugo? :wink:

Here is mine anyway. Only thing I'm not keen on is the Sora STIs purely because they look a bit plasticy (they work perfectly though! How vain).

34656331312_4b191cb954_c.jpg

if it said Colnago on the frame I might understand the spatter marks on the garage door.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:

if it said Colnago on the frame I might understand the spatter marks on the garage door.

Heh heh. That's actually the neighbors garage door. I can't vouch for what happens when I'm not there.
  • bmxboy10
    Ugo I read the RS4 hubs are meant to be less noisy compared to other Hope hubs - is this true?

Also what do you think your wheel set weighs?
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:
    Ugo I read the RS4 hubs are meant to be less noisy compared to other Hope hubs - is this true?

They are still noisy, but it's the sound of quality... I've said it over and over: if you want some shoot hubs that will fail quickly, then get some quiet ones from a Chinese manufacturer, if you want some quality, then get Hope. The size and strength of the pawls/springs make them noisy. Incredibly handy on cycle paths too

Bearing in mind the rear hub has a steel freehub and axle and weighs 100 grams more than the alloy version, wheels are 1750 grams, so 1650 for the standard version... again totally worth paying the weight penalty to avoid the usual chewed splines woes

Bit dark, but you get the picture

dolan2_zpswj4u0lyf.jpg
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:

They are still noisy, but it's the sound of quality... I've said it over and over: if you want some shoot hubs that will fail quickly, then get some quiet ones from a Chinese manufacturer, if you want some quality, then get Hope. The size and strength of the pawls/springs make them noisy. Incredibly handy on cycle paths too

Bearing in mind the rear hub has a steel freehub and axle and weighs 100 grams more than the alloy version, wheels are 1750 grams, so 1650 for the standard version... again totally worth paying the weight penalty to avoid the usual chewed splines woes

Bit dark, but you get the picture

dolan2_zpswj4u0lyf.jpg

Any idea why I cant see images on BR anymore?
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:
    Any idea why I cant see images on BR anymore?

Maybe at work they think you're a paedo? :lol::wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Actually... it's not only you, I think it's photobucket trying to get people to pay
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675

Good work! And cool bikes in this thread.

I'm thinking I want to own an n+1 bike. I'm not a "one to do it all" kind of person. I'm a tool or knife for every job sort of person. So this thread is cool.

I've done just shy of 200km on the Propel including some miles of hard pack and maybe a mile of double track. It was a "challenge" ride, so whatever. The guys on 29ers with drop bars and lockouts were the smart folks that day! Then there's my stupid self on an aero bike. :lol:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I cant see the photos.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Photobucket does no longer allow third party hosting unless one pays a fee for premium membership... I need to transfer all the photos to a different host, but I can't be ar-sed, so to speak
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Photobucket does no longer allow third party hosting unless one pays a fee for premium membership... I need to transfer all the photos to a different host, but I can't be ar-sed, so to speak

Yeah - seen several posts recently where the images are unavailable with some box stating that the account needs upgrading to allow 3rd party hosting. Even where some must have done the upgrade, Photobucket is one of the worst for bombarding the viewer with ads that obliterate and sometimes mask the image completely.

Might be worth asking "nicklouse" to add something to his sticky about posting images maybe to avoid photobucket in favour of other hosting websites
  • ugo.santalucia
    arlowood wrote:

Yeah - seen several posts recently where the images are unavailable with some box stating that the account needs upgrading to allow 3rd party hosting. Even where some must have done the upgrade, Photobucket is one of the worst for bombarding the viewer with ads that obliterate and sometimes mask the image completely.

Might be worth asking "nicklouse" to add something to his sticky about posting images maybe to avoid photobucket in favour of other hosting websites

Photobucket was good when I joined, but it became terrible over the past 12 months or so. I've tried another one but it was complicated to use... the all internet thing is becoming increasingly annoying, with sites being there for the sole purpose of gathering and selling personal information about you, I guess the golden age of internet is behind us, probably a good thing to slowly wean myself off it as much as possible... I am heading towards an age where it's OK to be a bit backwards... I guess you are there already Arlowood... :wink:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have to put my pics on a different host site as well how rubbish.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • darkhairedlord
    If you have a blog or website handy pop them in a folder on there and link out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you have a blog or website handy pop them in a folder on there and link out.

I do, I should do just that...