Giro 2017: Stage 2:- Olbia › Tortoli (221k) *Spoilers*

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    So I didn't miss anything too exciting today then? Although I would rather have watched the stage than do decorating
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2017
    So I didn't miss anything too exciting today then?
    Sean Kelly admitted to cheating in a sportif.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I wouldn't say Ewan is one of my favourites, but not really getting the hate...

Has he been misbehaving with the partners of Bike Radar Pro Race forum dwellers or something?
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Split after the sprint for zakarin.

I assumed that was what the director was looking for with the lingering shots of the back of the bunch passing at 500m to go.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Has he been misbehaving with the partners of Bike Radar Pro Race forum dwellers or something?

360627ewancaleb.jpg

Horrendous.

Should be banned for aesthetic reasons.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Says the dude who's love for that Belgian bobbing donkey thrasher Boonen knew no bounds?
  • rick_chasey
    Well yeah, at least he rode the bike as it's supposed to be ridden.

Caleb looks likes he's trying to f*ck his stem.
  • RichN95.

He's an iconoclast, redefining how a bike should be ridden. (Or at least reworking Cavendish). And I think that's good. I like mould breakers. (I like this in Froome too)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Maybe some people are just jealous that someone that short can be so quick.
  • rick_chasey
    Aestheticism is important in cycling.

I do wonder if he trained to sprint more conventionally for a couple years, how much slower he'd be, if at all.

It's also something not to be repeated on pothole filled club run bus stop sprint... No-one wants a broken sternum or a bruised liver.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313

Extra humiliating for him that it popped out in front of everybody in sight of the finish today then.
  • RichN95.
    Only to a few. No-one really cares that the likes of Kelly looked horrible on a bike. Any great looking rider would trade style in for a slice of Froome's palmares.

Have you listened to the Malcolm Gladwell podcast about Wilt Chamberlain (as recommended by IainF72)? It's all about style v substance in sport.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Have you listened to the Malcolm Gladwell podcast about Wilt Chamberlain (as recommended by IainF72)? It's all about style v substance in sport.

Good shout - Everyone should listen to that one.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Aestheticism is important in cycling.
    Unless you're paid to win bike races, at which point it's completely irrelevant...
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    RichN95 wrote:
    Only to a few. No-one really cares that the likes of Kelly looked horrible on a bike. Any great looking rider would trade style in for a slice of Froome's palmares.

Why are guys like Pozzato and Vandenbroucke so popular, considering they have a (comparatively) poor palmares?

And Kelly? Horrible on a bike? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGNHFFgcPQs
  • RichN95.
    Crampeur wrote:
    Why are guys like Pozzato and Vandenbroucke so popular, considering they have a (comparatively) poor palmares?
    They have (or had) personality off the bike and were maybe tactically maverick. Look at Sagan - he's no stylist in terms of pedaling style or position (builder pushing a wheelbarrow - Inner Ring) - but he attracts fans for more than his wins.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    No-one really cares that the likes of Kelly looked horrible on a bike

Blasphemer
    Crampeur wrote:

I would bloody LOVE a pair of those Puma shoes. I would even start riding my bike again if I got hold of a pair. Mind you, I probably couldn't get Look cleats on them, so not much danger of that :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    I like my cyclists to either look fantastic or be really good while looking terrible. Got no time for average.
  • yourpaceormine
    RichN95 wrote:
    So I didn't miss anything too exciting today then?
    Sean Kelly admitted to cheating in a sportif.
    OMactualG :shock:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    bobmcstuff wrote:

360627ewancaleb.jpg

Horrendous.

Jesus I knew he was low but that is something else - one benefit of being horrendously unfit is at least I'm safe from being taken out in the sprint for the 30 sign at the end of the chaingang by some chopper practising that as there's no chance of me getting to the end in the front split.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

360627ewancaleb.jpg

Horrendous.

Jesus I knew he was low but that is something else - one benefit of being horrendously unfit is at least I'm safe from being taken out in the sprint for the 30 sign at the end of the chaingang by some chopper practising that as there's no chance of me getting to the end in the front split.
    Good idea - I'll give that a go next time. My sprint is utterly useless :)
  • RichN95.
    The thing that puzzles me about style etc. is that four of the last five Tour de France winners used asymmetric rings - yet no-one, bar Froome, seems to want to try them.
  • rick_chasey
    Unless you're paid to win bike races, at which point it's completely irrelevant...

ff4b2bc99f8eb13890b3198e912736a4313b3cad2080032d31dc4d0f43351820.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah but I'm not a rider am I? I'm a cycling fan, and I spend a lot of time watching the races, not riding them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah but I'm not a rider am I? I'm a cycling fan, and I spend a lot of time watching the races, not riding them.
    You're like someone who thinks that Justin Bieber and One Direction are great musicians because they look good.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm less likely flick over if it's an attractive woman singing if that's what you mean.

I take the aesthetics into account when choosing to support someone or not.

Sometimes I like them in spite of that, sometimes I like them because of that.

Cycling podcast even conceived a prize for it - before it morphed into a 'fans favourite' prize.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Perhap one of the stages should be a dressage?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    RichN95 wrote:
    The thing that puzzles me about style etc. is that four of the last five Tour de France winners used asymmetric rings - yet no-one, bar Froome, seems to want to try them.
    AFAIK plenty of pro's tried them, but saw no advantage even after getting used to them for a week. Initially they were advertised as giving you 5% more power, until it was found out, that they screw up the power meter measurements (calibration prior to riding seems to be needed to be done on round chain rings, then swapped to osymetric) and just show a false value of 5% more power. Now they are advertised as reducing lactic acid by 10%. No one knows if any of this is actually true.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I'm less likely flick over if it's an attractive woman singing if that's what you mean.

I take the aesthetics into account when choosing to support someone or not.

Sometimes I like them in spite of that, sometimes I like them because of that.

Cycling podcast even conceived a prize for it - before it morphed into a 'fans favourite' prize.
    Does everyone agree that Ewans sprinting style is ugly? I just think it's a new idea and fir that should be applauded. On saying that, im not keen on the sitting on the top tube descending especially when peddling at the same time.
  • yourpaceormine
    Ewan's style looks like he is on the edge of losing traction, particularly if there is any up gradient in the finishing straight. Clearly not as he wouldn't do it /or dial his position back a bit. Wonder if he has ever been caught out?

Position looks risky: any high speed pile up is going to smart a little, but his position would suggest a trip to the dentist might be involved. Cav knows a good one in Colombia, maybe he should ask for the number?

Certainly doesn't look pretty, but if it works for him...