Giro 2017: Stage 1:-Alghero › Olbia. *Spoilers*

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    First 70 given the same time. Looks like Landa was in that group, from prov standings anyway.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Gaviria is finished.

Hugh Carthy lost 1'-09" along with Seb Reichenbach and the above's main lead out man.
    The Latern Rouge or Ivan Quaranta climbing award goes to the Matteo Pelucchi.
    That boy only has to think Giro and he's out the back.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Ok.
    It started early today then.
    Fair enough.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Lot of friends on FB excited to see a RAS winner in the Pink Jersey.
    Only the 2nd one ever?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Also, when was the last time one team won more than one grand tour in the same year?

2008 when Bertie won the Giro and Vuelta

2010 - Basso - Giro (with Nibali I as super-Dom) and then Nibali won the Vuelta

Forgot they were on Leaky gas together :oops:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    The list of riders winning their debut GT stage must be a short one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    WHAT A WIN
  • rick_chasey
    Outstanding.

I literally dream about winning stages like that.
  • rick_chasey
    And anyone who beats that Caleb with that stupid style gets my support.
  • rick_chasey
    Orica's leadout man must be feeling sick.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    WHAT A WIN

It was a cracker! Fortune favours the brave.
  • Superb win.

Only day one obviously, but apparently this is the first time in history that one team has held all the classification jerseys.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    I was trolling around the 1st GPM today. Spectacoolar scenery here. Great win - ha ha, Caleb Ewan.

And I am now 4/5ths full of prosecco
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I was trolling around the 1st GPM today. Spectacoolar scenery here. Great win - ha ha, Caleb Ewan.

Not jealous. No, not jealous at all.

*aaaaaarrrggghh*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704

And I'm now 5/5th full of envy...........................again.
    Knew I should have made the effort to have my birthday bash on the Blockhaus. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I'm 4/5 full of Barbera d'Alba since I couldn't find any Sardinian wine in Tesco.

Just watched it back, awesome win.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    It was brilliant. Even with 500 to go I thought he still might get caught. Apparently when he found himself off the front he went on the radio to ask what to do and the team just said "GO!!!!"
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    The list of riders winning their debut GT stage must be a short one.

Likelihood is the guy is going to be remembered with that as his best win.
    Better than never winning anything of course, and I'd love to be able to say in 10 years 'I remember him winning....' while sucking my Werther's.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It was brilliant. Even with 500 to go I thought he still might get caught. Apparently when he found himself off the front he went on the radio to ask what to do and the team just said "GO!!!!"
    It looked like that too. There was a gap, he looked back and thought 'WTF? This wasn't the plan. What do I do now?'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just caught the highlights and what a win. Took his chance well. The last 4k made it possible but he still had to pull it off.
  • RichN95.
    Lot of friends on FB excited to see a RAS winner in the Pink Jersey.
    Only the 2nd one ever?
    I had a look the previous winners of the Ras and was surprised by two winners - Tony Martin, a much bigger star than the recent others became, and Simon Richardson off GCN who I never realised was an ex-pro
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm a bit surprised by the reaction. I put it on and fell asleep (the excitement of a breakaway that everybody knows is going to get reeled in .... yawn) then they round that 90 right (no wonder everybody was worried about descending - a load of paid blokes on bikes can't make it around a corner EVERYBODY knows is coming - WTF) and then some newbie finds he has a metaphorical shot at an open goal and, shock, manages to score because no-one is contesting it. And the first 70 get the same time. And everybody is really excited.

What they need is a prize for the fastest descender....

Except I think that concept is too difficult for pro cyclists.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • RichN95.
    I'm a bit surprised by the reaction. I put it on and fell asleep (the excitement of a breakaway that everybody knows is going to get reeled in .... yawn) then they round that 90 right (no wonder everybody was worried about descending - a load of paid blokes on bikes can't make it around a corner EVERYBODY knows is coming - WTF) and then some newbie finds he has a metaphorical shot at an open goal and, shock, manages to score because no-one is contesting it. And the first 70 get the same time. And everybody is really excited.
    The problem comes when there are thirty people going for a space where there's only room for twenty. Nothing to do with ability.
  • meanredspider
    RichN95 wrote:
    The problem comes when there are thirty people going for a space where there's only room for twenty.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    The problem comes when there are thirty people going for a space where there's only room for twenty.
    Except I think that concept is too difficult for me.
    Fixed that for you
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Yes, because even after a crash escaping from the main group to win solo is the equivalent to tapping into an open goal. Especially evident in the tour de France when early stage crashes are commonplace.

As for the stage, I agree that it is likely to have been boring. Why I only tuned in for the last 10km.
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    I had a look the previous winners of the Ras and was surprised by two winners - Tony Martin, a much bigger star than the recent others became, and Simon Richardson off GCN who I never realised was an ex-pro

Unlike his fellow GCN presenters, he doesn't mention his pro exploits at every opportunity.
  • andyp

What they need is a prize for the fastest descender....

If you didn't enjoy that win, then I wonder if this sport is for you.
  • meanredspider
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Except I think that concept is too difficult for me.
    Fixed that for you

Nope - it's very simple for me. Again, in most sports, the competitors who know a bottleneck is coming, act accordingly. After all, this is the first stage of a three week race and you're only likely to lose it and not win it. It's just another example (if we needed it) that your average pro racer is thick (like the two Italians done for doping).
  • meanredspider
    andyp wrote:
    If you didn't enjoy that win, then I wonder if this sport is for you.

It was "nice" at a human level but, as a sporting spectacle, it was the same as an open goal or rugby interception. After 5.5 hours of "racing" I can't get too excited by that. I accept that I'm clearly in a minority on here.