Pinno's DIY wax chain lube experiment blog

124»

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Been using the wax method all summer and was fine.
    Following a wet ride some weeks back, I deposited wet bike in the garage and got dry and warm (As you do). Some days later my chain was stiff as a poker.
    Perhaps oil for winter wax for summer.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Been using the wax method all summer and was fine.
    Following a wet ride some weeks back, I deposited wet bike in the garage and got dry and warm (As you do). Some days later my chain was stiff as a poker.
    Perhaps oil for winter wax for summer.

Methinks this is the answer.

I will try the Molten speed wax when I get a chance. I'd like to find a lubricant that washes off like the wax does in a hot bath.
    I must say, my Muc-off wet lube is pretty good in winter. The whole of my very crusty, filthy (filthier than Stevo's wife) transmission has just been cleaned and despite it's condition/appearance, it was still running quite smoothly and is ready to re-assemble. I am dithering about whether to wax it or not and give it a go.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    You should see my bike right now, I clean it and it just gets filthy the next ride... So I stopped bothering.

Just add more oil to the chain when it goes rusty.

Can you buy stainless steel chains?
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • pinno
    Fudgey wrote:
    You should see my bike right now, I clean it and it just gets filthy the next ride... So I stopped bothering.

Just add more oil to the chain when it goes rusty.

Can you buy stainless steel chains?

No but you can buy ceramic one's. Google UFO chains.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Haha, not sure if you're serious, but the UFO chains are made by a company called Ceramic Speed they're not ceramic chains! They're basically just standard Dura Ace chains (or Campy, SRAM and KMC equivalents are available I believe) treated in a manner very similar to here and then caked in PTFE powder. They're rated for something like 200 miles and then they recommend you lube them or send them back for retreatment.

Not sure about stainless steel, but you can buy zinc-plated chains, such as the KMC X11-EL or Dura Ace HG-901, which IME experience are much better than steel for corrosion-resistance and ease-of-cleaning.
  • pinno
    Haha, not sure if you're serious, but the UFO chains are made by a company called Ceramic Speed they're not ceramic chains! They're basically just standard Dura Ace chains (or Campy, SRAM and KMC equivalents are available I believe) treated in a manner very similar to here and then caked in PTFE powder. They're rated for something like 200 miles and then they recommend you lube them or send them back for retreatment.

Not sure about stainless steel, but you can buy zinc-plated chains, such as the KMC X11-EL or Dura Ace HG-901, which IME experience are much better than steel for corrosion-resistance and ease-of-cleaning.

You have to placate Fudgey,
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I'm not angry, just can't be bothered to clean my bike lol.
    This is why I have the winter/general use bike and the super shiny and clean dry use only best bike.
    I now have the holiday bike at home too just in case lol.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • pinno
    Fudgey wrote:
    I'm not angry, just can't be bothered to clean my bike lol.
    This is why I have the winter/general use bike and the super shiny and clean dry use only best bike.

I do too. My winter bike is filthier than a Dagenham dustbin frequently used for nefarious purposes in car parks in Essex.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I use a pet dryer (like an industrial hair dryer) to dry my bikes after washing. Set to hot and high speed it blows water out of everywhere and is ideal to prevent dampness remaining in chains etc when stored. Not tried waxing my chain yet (but may well do), so this might be a solution to your rust problems...

PP
  • Dyrnog
    Dyrnog Posts: 8
    I use a cheap hoover -bought it to clean the car- which has a blow function, no option for hot air but does the job and pretty cheap.