RIP Michele Scarponi

13»

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    inseine wrote:
    Nicky Hayden (ex world suoerbike champion) killed cycling near Rimini. Another terrible shame. Italy has a poor reputation for road safety exsoecially for cyclists.
    This is so sad.... Are we getting to the point where it's now too dangerous to go cycling?

I've been knocked off my bike twice and the second time but for a traffic light reducing the speed of an out of control truck, I too would be dead. Where does it all end lads? :(
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    A triathlete died in the same hospital as Nicky just beforehand - also hit by a lorry whilst cycling.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Nice KM0 on Michele Scarponi yesterday.

My other half questioned my potential Italy cycling trip later in the year by sending me a link to the Hayden news...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash wrote:

My other half questioned my potential Italy cycling trip later in the year by sending me a link to the Hayden news...

I don't wish to detract from the tragedy of Hayden's passing or absolve the motorist's actions but if you look at the circumstances of the Hayden incident I would suggest you can avoid those circumstances fairly easily.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I don't wish to detract from the tragedy of Hayden's passing or absolve the motorist's actions but if you look at the circumstances of the Hayden incident I would suggest you can avoid those circumstances fairly easily.

Hmmmm... I hadn't looked at the detail of the incident. I see what you mean.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

what were the actual details of it ?

most accidents can be avoided. Far too many are caused these days by people being too impatient
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

most accidents can be avoided. Far too many are caused these days by people being too impatient

Apparently, there's some CCTV that suggests he failed to stop at a junction, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. Again, in no way does this detract from how sad and tragic the event is.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    dish_dash wrote:

It is one of those weird things where if someone famous passes, people take notice and question things. I would imagine around the world on a daily basis there are a lot of people killed in similar circumstances.

Plus a lot of activities you do other than cycling are likely statistically more likely to kill you. We cannot wrap ourselves in cotton wool.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    twist83 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

It is one of those weird things where if someone famous passes, people take notice and question things. I would imagine around the world on a daily basis there are a lot of people killed in similar circumstances.

Plus a lot of activities you do other than cycling are more likely statistically to kill you. We cannot wrap ourselves in cotton wool.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,240
    sherer wrote:

Hayden's fault it appears, he didn't stop and give way as he was supposed to
    left the forum March 2023
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    http://road.cc/content/news/230484-moto ... hing-video

The motorist involved in the crash last April that resulted in the death of 2011 Giro d’Italia champion Michele Scarponi reportedly admitted to authorities investigating the incident that he had been watching a video on his phone at the time of the fatal collision.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What a waste. So avoidable and unnecessary.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    what an absolute f wit
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Jesus, I hope they throw the book at him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Makes you sick doesn't it. Car drivers literally killing people at random with their f*ckwittery
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Is that illegal in Italy? I saw so many drivers on their phones in France in summer that I assumed it wasnt illegal.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    gsk82 wrote:
    Is that illegal in Italy? I saw so many drivers on their phones in France in summer that I assumed it wasnt illegal.

Such a brit question.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    gsk82 wrote:

Such a brit question.

And what's that supposed to mean?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!